CINCINNATI – 2
CHICAGO – 0
WP: J. Cueto (1-0)
LP: R. Dempster (1-4)
S: F. Cordero (6)
– Johnny Cueto looked great in his first start of the season.Ã‚Â Cueto pitched 6 scoreless innings, walking only 1 and giving up 5 hits.Ã‚Â He struck out 4.Ã‚Â The only negative I can come up with after a start like that is that he threw 102 pitches in 6+ innings.Ã‚Â If our pitchers could ever learn how to stretch their innings/pitch counts out it would be outstanding.Ã‚Â But don’t get me wrong, I’ll take 6 shutout innings from our starters each and every time out!
– Jay Bruce went 2-3 with a walk and a run scored. Drew Stubbs also had 2 hits, one of which was a homerun that gave the Reds the 2-0 lead in the 5th inning, a lead that proved to be the final score.
– The bullpen was great today.Ã‚Â Sam LeCure loaded the bases after a walk and a hit batter, but Bill Bray, LeCure, Nick Massett, and Francisco Cordero managed to secure the shutout for the Reds by allowing only 1 hit and 1 walk while striking out 4 over the final 3 innings pitched.
– Joey Votto’s streak of reaching base in every game this season came to an end with an 0-4 day at the plate.Ã‚Â Joey Votto is still the man, but I can’t help noticing that he seems to be struggling a tad at the dish of late.Ã‚Â He is batting only .227 in May.
– The Reds managed only 5 hits for the 2nd straight day.Ã‚Â We won, so I’ll bite my tongue and refrain from posting those 3 infamous letters.
– That’s two straight series wins for the Reds.Ã‚Â The club now heads to Houston for the first time this season.Ã‚Â The club is 4-2 against the Astros this season.
– Nice bashing of Cubs fans by Jim Day during the post-game show.Ã‚Â Behave Cubs fans!
– My mother came to visit my boys and I during the game so I missed part of the game.Ã‚Â But what did we do in the yard while she was here?Ã‚Â Play catch of course.Ã‚Â Happy Mother’s Day Mom and to all the moms out there.Ã‚Â While most people wish their mothers a Happy Mother’s Day on facebook or some other social networking site, I’m topping them by posting it here on Redleg Nation. We’re bigger than facebook any way!
– Sombrero Time….