After last night’s shutout victory, the Cincinnati Reds roster got a boost on Tuesday when Nick Lodolo was activated to make the start tonight against the Colorado Rockies. First pitch for tonight’s game is set for 7:10pm ET.

Starting Lineup

Colorado Rockies

Cincinnati Reds

Ezequiel Tovar – SS Spencer Steer – LF
Brendan Rodgers – 2B Elly De La Cruz – SS
Ryan McMahon – 3B Jeimer Candelario – 3B
Elias Diaz – DH Tyler Stephenson – C
Brenton Doyle – CF Edwin Rios – 1B
Jacob Stallings – C Noelvi Marte – DH
Michael Toglia – 1B Rece Hinds – RF
Nolan Jones – LF Santiago Espinal – 2B
Hunter Goodman – RF Will Benson – CF
Cal Quantrill – RHP Nick Lodolo – LHP

Jonathan India was initially in the lineup at second base, but he was a late scratch due to a knee contusion.

Starting Pitchers

Pitcher IP ERA WHIP BB K
Nick Lodolo 70.0 2.96 1.07 19 73
Cal Quantrill 100.1 3.77 1.33 38 74
Links: Nick Lodolo’s Stats | Cal Quantrill’s Stats

Nick Lodolo

He struggled in his last start against Boston, walking four batters and giving up three earned runs in 4.2 innings. A blister led to his placement on the injured list following the start.

Left-handed hitters are showing a better average this season against Lodolo, but it’s about as empty of an average as it comes as they’ve managed just two extra-base hits and are slugging just .289 against him. Right-handed hitters are having more success in the power department, but they’re only showing mediocre power at best while not hitting for average or drawing walks.

Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 232 43 9 0 7 14 61 .205 .280 .348
LHH 59 13 2 0 0 5 12 .250 .339 .289

Pitch Usage

4-seam 2-seam Slider Change
Velo 94.2 94.2 81.6 88.0
Usage 27% 28% 28% 17%

Cal Quantrill

The left-handed pitcher had a rough April, but since the start of May he’s posted a 3.03 ERA and given up just six home runs in 68.1 innings pitched. Five of his 12 starts in that time have come in Colorado, too, so it’s not a scenario where he’s luckily avoided pitching in Denver to post stronger numbers.

His splits do favor right-handed hitters, but not quite as much as you would expect. Righties do hit for a far higher average, but they walk less often and don’t hit for as much power (but their slugging is higher due to the advantage in average). Lefties make contact at a solid rate, but haven’t been able to turn it into many hits as they carry a .223 average. But they show solid power against him and they walk quite often.

Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 229 58 6 1 7 14 35 .278 .336 .416
LHH 193 37 7 2 5 24 39 .223 .323 .380

Pitch Usage

4-sm 2-sm Cutter Curve Split Change
Velo 94.2 94.0 87.8 80.3 86.3 85.4
Usage 10% 30% 13% 11% 34% 3%

When and Where

• Game time: 7:10pm ET
  • Where: Great American Ball Park
  • Watch: Bally Sports Ohio
  • Listen: 700 WLW AM (Cincinnati area)
  • Forecast: 83°, cloudy, 20% chance of rain

News and Notes

Hunter Greene is an All-Star

Prior to the game tonight Hunter Greene was named to the National League All-Star game. He is replacing Dodgers pitcher Tyler Glasnow as he deals with an injury and can’t participate. We wrote about Greene’s season earlier when this was announced and you can read about it here if you would like some additional information.

Austin Slater activated, two optioned to minors

Nick Lodolo and Austin Slater were both activated this afternoon. To make room on the roster the Reds sent Livan Soto and Yosver Zulueta to Triple-A. We covered all of the moves here when they were announced if you wanted a little more information.

Division Standings

Team W L GB
Milwaukee 53 38
St. Louis 48 42 4.5
Pittsburgh 43 47 9.5
Cincinnati 43 48 10.0
Chicago 42 49 11.0

1. VaRedsFan

Hope it’s just a 1 game absence for India.
    It must be barking for him to sit out. He usually plays through anything.

2. Doug Gray

Can we try something new tonight? Let’s try to talk about the game without mentioning the manager or how much you hate his guts. I can promise you that it won’t hurt you.

• LarkinPhillips

Probably not going to be to many comments. Especially considering a lot of sports chatter during games is second guessing managerial decisions.

• Mark Moore

I’m in, Doug. I agree the repetition gets to be tedious.

• Beaufort Red

Hate his guts is a little strong don’t you think? We can dislike his managing style and question his moves. We can even question his personality. But that doesn’t mean we hate the individual. Plus it is an opinion board.

• Doug Gray

First off, this is not a board at all. This is a website that allows people to comment. It is not a message board.

And secondly, I’m convinced people have allowed their fandom to skew reality and they hate his guts without quite realizing where their passion has taken them.

• Justin T

Absolutely and that sounds nice.

Tough righty tonight but feeling good w NL on the bump.

I think Abbott was just as deserving as Hunter but happy to see either make it. Abbott seems like he will be proving himself every year until they figure out he is a steady starter who will win 100 games in this league. When I heard he was on the roster cusp in ST, I thought it was a misprint. Abbott has been my personel bright spot for the team the first half.

• TJ

Doug, I couldn’t agree more. I thought the WLBs were in St Louis.

3. Mark Moore

Hadn’t noticed RoY wasn’t in the line-up. Hope it is just a rest day. Espinal is a good glove to replace him.

Other than that, this line-up looks ready to …

KICK THIS PIG!!!

Here’s hoping the weather holds and no tornados form.

• Jim Walker

As of 7pm (Tues) up here in Dayton, OH way (just over 50mi NNE of Cincy) after an overcast day with little to no precip, the skies cleared by 5pm. Since then there has been bright sunshine until about 15 minutes ago when high clouds started to build back in. The late afternoon sun created a very hot and muggy atmosphere. If it is similar down at GABP, the ball could be really flying tonight.

4. Dennis Westrick

First of all, congrats to Hunter Greene & EDLC for their selection to the 2024 NL All-Star team!

And, Doug, I will hold my tongue for one night regarding the current Reds manager!

As for the game, one down and six to go!

Go Reds! Be great Lodolo! Let’s score early & often and have an avalanche of runs!

5. Kevin H

Health is always key. Reds have the making if a formidable starting rotation. They are maturing into good pitchers. Lodolo Greene, and Abbott. Honorable mention to Ashcraft, and potential from Spiers and Williamson.

I do wonder if Richardson goes to bullpen if and when he comes to the show.

6. Jim t

I’m hoping Hinds can build on last nights success and Marte can find his hitting stroke.

7. gusnwally

On a Positive note. I really do believe this starting rotation is really shaping up. Greene, Lodolo, Abbott and not to mention Williamson. Who I believe will be as good as the others, if given a chance. The BRM was the only other staff and I guess maybe the 2010 thru 2013 or so was the only ones I consider to be top flight pitchers. I remember as a kid guys like Herm Wehmeir, Jackie Collum, Johnny Klipstein and the like. We had big time hitters and loads of power and no pitching at all.

• Oldtimer

Reds had #2 rated (second lowest ERA) pitching staff in 1967. The Reds generally had good pitching in early 1960s.

8. JB WV

India, Fairchild, Friedl, Fraley, Maile, McClain, CES, and Marte just back. That’s an entire lineup minus a DH. Am I missing anybody?
    Anyway, go Reds! And play hard for your manager who’s also going to the AS game. Couldn’t help that, Doug. If you can’t have fun what’s the point?

• Mark A Verticchio

Arroyo, he might not have been ready but with all these injuries he might have helped.

9. Kevin H

Wow Greene has allowed 2 runs or less in 12 of 18 starts.

• Mark Moore

Yep. The lack of run support has really hampered him. Even more than his sometimes tendency to “throw” and “nibble”.

10. Mark Moore

Nice 1st inning from Nick. Thinking that blister is healed and the rest did him good.

• Jim Walker

Thanks for reminding me the game has started We had a major dog outburst about 10 minutes ago. 🙂 Off to the stream I go,

11. dimondfvr

Nice inning Nick! Let’s copy and paste the next six or seven! LOL

12. Mark Moore

That low strike (and the balls called strikes) could be killers tonight. Have to pay closer attention to see if Nick gets that same call.

13. Jason Franklin

Wow. Can’t remember last time I saw both sides get k’d in the first. Plus, Quantrill is not very good.

14. Dennis Westrick

Wow! That was an exciting first inning! Six strikeouts! Hope the concession stands are well stocked with No-Doze!

15. Mark Moore

Let’s hope that little lapse of concentration is the only one we see. Need to throw strikes first, Nick. Then throw the tricky stuff.

Bike Helmets to bail him out!!

16. RedsGettingBetter

STEPHENSON!!! Finally swinging at 3-0 count works it out

17. VaRedsFan

The 3-0 swingers won’t be happy about that Ty cranker

18. Mark Moore

So the zone is changing already? That’s what drives me nuts. worked in our favor.

Actually a good first pitch swing by Marte, though maybe ill-advised given Quantrill having trouble finding the zone.

19. Mark Moore

Right in the elbow guard … 😮

Keep pressing Quantrill. He’s not that good on a poor team.

20. Mark Moore

SANTIAGO!!!! OPPO SLAP!!! THAT’S WHO YOU ARE (OR SHOULD BE).

Kind of like that one up the middle 😀

21. Mark Moore

Thrall, “Very deep and very gone to right!!”

Moondeck special for Willie B.

• Mark Moore

VaRF … are you “vintage enough” to remember the late Howard Cosell calling some baseball? I recall a game where a guy blasted it and Howard commented that the pitch was “right in the arc where he swings”. One of the other announcers said, “We call that his wheelhouse, Howard.”

Your comment made me remember that for some reason. Had to be a Saturday game in the 70’s. It definitely was right in the path and he ran into it big time.

22. RedsGettingBetter

Benson Oh My… I’m pinching myself to see if I am asleep

• RedsMonk65

I sure hope so. It would be a big boost for this team.

23. Old-school

I skewered Benson the last 24 hours

Of course he hits 3 run bomb against colorado

Just win!

Go reds

24. Mark Moore

Candy wrapped that around the pole? Black’s gonna challenge that one.

Oh … that was on the wrong side of the pole.

• VaRedsFan

could hear the crowd groan when he 1st hit it.
      Kind of gave it away.

• RedsMonk65

OK, now back to 5-0. Still like it — just not as much.

• Melvin

Gotta get through five with this lead. Can’t ruin it.

• RedsMonk65

Is it raining there already (I can’t watch)? Most radar shots I’ve looked at have the rain (and a lot of it) appearing toward the end of the game. Based on that, I thought for sure they would get the game in — but that everyone would have to deal with severe weather on the way home.

• Melvin

Yep. Heavy with the tarp out already.

• RedsMonk65

Well, fish farts. I thought it would hold off there until later. In SW Indiana where I am, torrential downpour/wind commenced around 6 p.m. Cincy time. Looks to be with us for a while.

25. Mark Moore

Still a fun inning and Quantrill is probably toast. He’s hoping it starts pouring.

26. Dennis Westrick

WTH! I went to fix some dinner and come back to a 5-0 lead? Let’s keep it up and let Nick be Nick!

• Mark Moore

Yep … you missed the “7-0” scare on one just a bit foul from Candy.

• Dennis Westrick

Saw that 7-0 score pop up momentarily on ESPN’s website!

27. Mark Moore

Nick … what have we said about throwing strikes? That’s better, but getting them in sooner probably helps.

28. Mark Moore

Hit hard and fast. Wonder for how long …

Thrall and Cowboy saying you can’t see Kentucky anymore.

• Mark Moore

TWC showing this should blow through in about 20 minutes or so and then we get a window open until just after 10.

I just said to my First Wife, “I wish we’d get some rain.” It’s been pretty brutal here in the Raleigh area for the most part. Only a few weeds up at mowing length. Heat index last I checked still over 100 at this time of night.

Okay Mr. Concepcion weather man. Keep us updated. 🙂

• RedsMonk65

Yeah, according to what I’m seeing, the downpour now in Cincy is just a small prelude to what’s coming later. I think they’ll still be able to get the game in. I hope so, at least! Then again, I am not there….

• Melvin

At this point just five innings would be great.

29. Melvin

Sadak is great at doing play by play of the tarp being rolled out ain’t he? 🙂

• Dennis Westrick

Sadak’s finest moment and, honestly, what he’s best at!

• Kevin H

I actually don’t mind Sadak. He and Welsh are a good tandem. He and Larkin are coming along.

• Dennis Westrick

I’ve heard Sadak on a podcast and he was actually quite good!

• Melvin

If Sadak would say a little less and Larkin a little more it would be a lot better. 🙂

30. Dennis Westrick

So, assuming the game is able to resume, I’m assuming Lodolo is done, and it will be a bullpen game going forward?

• Kevin H

If it’s a short delay maybe not, a 2 hour delay then I would say yes.

31. Mark Moore

Radar on TWC shows it clearing now. Anybody with a local perspective? Nothing yet on the Reds FB site.

• docproc

I’m local and the rain has passed through the area and the sun is shining.

• Kevin H

The radar shows clearing in the area. I live in Northwest OH. Toledo area, and cloudy here. My point is I looked and the radar shows clearing LOL… I went the long away around with that answer lol

• RedsMonk65

Good old NW Ohio! I am from Findlay originally and worked/lived many years in Maumee and Toledo.

32. Redsgettingbetter

Hopefully they will resume to play at least 5 innings guessing the Reds bullpen could hold the lead

33. Votto4life

Is Jonathon India hurt? He is out of the line up tonight and the Reds signed Tony Kemp again.

34. Mark Moore

Broadcast feed is back. Lodolo headed to the mound.

35. Kevin H

So this team is hard to figure out for sure. Me personally I think they can make a run, however alot has to happen. They have the pitching and in my opinion in need a solid contact hitter or two. Question then becomes will that happen.

• Melvin

“They have the pitching and in my opinion in need a solid contact hitter or two. Question then becomes will that happen.”

Yep. WILL that happen?

36. Mark Moore

That’s OK, Nick. Now get the next batter and send your boyz back to work against whoever the Rocks throw out there.

37. Dennis Westrick

The rain delay does not appear to have been kind to Nick!

38. Dennis Westrick

If Nick struggles in the 4th, may have to tap the bullpen which should be well rested!

39. Kevin H

Tigers and Guardians tied 7-7 after 7 innings, maybe Tigers aren’t bad after all. 🙂

Almost another Ooops … 😮

Time for a mound visit, DJ. Settle him down and get one more out.

40. Dennis Westrick

It’s obvious that Nick has not been the same pitcher since the rain delay!

• Mark Moore

Yep … focus is drifting something fierce. And that ugly hop to Elly didn’t help matters any.

41. Kevin H

Martinez warming up. I am assuming this is his last batter. Opps.

42. RedsMonk65

Crap. Delay obviously affected Lodolo. Rockies are right back in it. Here comes the bullpen.

43. Indy Red Man

Old School on Benson…lol. It’s happened to me many times. He’s a talented guy, but there are definitely big holes in his swing. Several things keep me hopeful though. He’s not a hacker for one and he definitely tries to stay within the zone. He’s also pretty good defensively even though he’s doesn’t always take the correct route. I’m sure they’ll leave him towards the bottom of the lineup vs righties and see if gets it going.

44. Dennis Westrick

It’s a darn shame! Nick was cruising thru the first 2 innings!

45. Rob

Too bad for Nick. Thought Bell was a little slow on the draw though. Those were 2-3 pretty solid hits. From a sure win ….??

46. Dennis Westrick

So much for that early 5-0 lead! The offense needs to get back to work!

47. RedlegScott

Yikes. That didn’t go well. Wake up the bats again.

48. Mark Moore

That “inherited runner” stat grows … need a sense of urgency on the offensive side. As Melvin said, the ball is carrying tonight.

49. VaRedsFan

Benson is a poor man’s Yasiel Puig when he was a Red.
    Puig could hit a low fastball middle-in, and nothing else.

Benson needs a fastball belt high…nothing below that.

50. Dennis Westrick

Why? Why? Why not bunt Hinds to 3rd? I know it’s early but the bottom of the order, Espinal & Benson are pretty much automatic outs!

• Mark Moore

Except for their last time through tonight. But a bunt to move him over may have been warranted.

51. Kevin H

Great battle there by Benson, signs he is coming around? Time will tell

52. Dennis Westrick

What? Benson struck out with a runner in scoring position. Shocking!

53. Old-school

Reds 4 th inning is why Bell-needs to be fired

Lead off double and Espinal doesnt bunt to advance runner and makes an out . Benson does what benson does and K’s

Its the Rockies folks

This team reeks

Bell stinks

Cant score on a leadoff double

I dont care if they win

Bell doesnt understand situations

They have to score on a leadoff double and they dont

• Dennis Westrick

Exactly what I said above! Play situational baseball and advance the runner! In order to play situational baseball, you must first recognize the situation and then react according to sound reasoning, taking into account YOUR knowledge of YOUR players!

54. Mark Moore

Need a quick inning here and then for the skies to open up (not supposed to for almost an hour from what I saw).

55. Mike W

Wow, Bell did it to a stater again!
    4 and 2/3rds innings with the lead.
    The starter gets in a jam.
    Bell pulls him before he can work his way out and to prohibit him from possibly getting a W.
    He does this so often.
    Definitely not a “player’s manager.”
    Our SPs must be hoping to be traded.
    He just doesn’t know how to manage PEOPLE.
    He’s a de-motivator. No way they want to “go to war” for him

• Kevin H

Lodolo was struggling and couldn’t get out of the jam. It was the correct call in this situation.

• Mark Moore

If anything, it was a batter (or two) too late. Nick didn’t “have it” coming out of the rain delay. I like seeing the W stat, but the team getting it is better than a chance for a pitcher.

• Melvin

The rain delay didn’t do Lodolo any favors with his pitching.

56. RedlegScott

Lead-off double and no advance. That bunt idea previously mentioned looking real good right now.

57. dimondfvr

Would be interesting to know what the “climate” is like inside the clubhoue. Usually if the players are disgruntled it leaks to the media.

58. Melvin

Just so you know this is a “no mention David Bell” night guys. We’re giving Doug a break. 🙂

• Kevin H

LOL it is kinda nice to not see it alot this evening.

59. Beaufort Red

I’ve never seen so many optimistic attaboys for striking out. If Benson plays almost every game I certainly hope he runs into one every now and then. Otherwise he’s a black hole that is a strikeout machine. I don’t hate his guts, I just don’t think he brings anything.

• Kevin H

I disagree in a sense only because how many times have we seen him strike out on 3 pitches. His last ab he battled to a 9 or 10 pitch AB. I myself hope its a sign of better things to come.

60. Dennis Westrick

Good job, Martinez! Avoided the dreaded two-out syndrome that Reds pitchers seem to be plagued with!

61. Mark Moore

Thrall and Cowboy bantering about ASG selection. I’m thinking Cowboy’s perspective is closer to mine … it’s a popularity contest that really doesn’t feature the best players.

• Melvin

Yeah. It’s got our two most raw talented players this year though.

62. Mike W

Everyone struggles at some point. He’s only 26. The only way to learn how to fight through not having your best stuff during a game, is to work through it. Maddux didn’t always have his best stuff, so he found another way to get guys out (e.g. more off speed). Now he’ll start to wear out our bullpen. (And our guy that came in gave up a run scoring double.)
    In other news: Reds get lad off double in a one run game and no one is even told to fake a sacrifice bunt? What gives with that Mr. Bell? Move him over and get him in. The odds of a guy scoring from 2B with no one out are very high, unless apparently on a Bell managed team. That’s baseball 101. We can still win this thing, let’s go guys!

63. dimondfvr

A stat they showed on the telecast is hard to believe. It says that Benson has had 23 plate appearances in which he has been involved in counts of at least ten pitches, and that leads the majors.

64. Mark Moore

Alright, alright, alright!!!

Candy lost that ball and House waved him through against that bad throw. Knee must be feeling better.

• VaRedsFan

Except he looked to be hobbling a bit after scoring.

65. VaRedsFan

People’s bunting scenario earlier.
    1st of all Espinal has to get a bunt down.
    Benson strikes out anyway, and you still need a 2 out hit. (barring the wild pitch scenarios).
    Consider who’s hitting after the guy bunting before making your demands.

• RedlegScott

What is so difficult about Espinal getting a bunt down?

• VaRedsFan

Far from automatic….but if he does, then Benson is up.

66. Melvin

They’re worried about speedster TS taking off from 2B

67. Dennis Westrick

Runner at 2nd AGAIN WITH NO OUTS! Where is at least a bunt attempt?

68. Melvin

Hinds is now batting .667 with an OPS of 2.500 🙂 I’m going to go out on a limb and say he should start again tomorrow. 🙂

• Dennis Westrick

Ya think? But honestly, I’ll be shocked if he starts three games in a row!

haha Don’t know who you’re talking about. Let’s just hope it happens. 🙂

69. Dennis Westrick

Got 2 of the runs back! Still not out of the woods the way balls have been flying out of GABP tonight!

• Kevin H

yeah, could be heading for a 12-11 night with how the ball is carrying.

70. Melvin

Nice catch by our CF/SS. He makes catching fly balls look easy.

71. Kevin H

The Rockies didn’t attempt to bunt the runner over.

• Dennis Westrick

Didn’t want to reveal trade secrets to the manager in the other dugout!

72. Dennis Westrick

My ranking of Reds relief pitchers who make me reach for my blood pressure pills and supplemental oxygen: 1) Sims, 2) Farmer and 3) Diaz!

73. Indy Red Man

Rooker for the A’s up to .900 ops and thats playing in a tough division for hitters. If they had him then they’d have real depth and could have some real trade potential with CES or Candy

• Melvin

Two hits again tonight with a pretty good BA now too .282. If we don’t get him someone else will. No team needs him more than we do.

• Dennis Westrick

OK by me as long as the HP umpire is consistent and calls it the same way for both teams!

• Mark Moore

He’s really not from what I can see. It’s inconsistent from batter to batter (par for the course).

• Kevin H

I do hope MLB looks at the strike zone and home plate umpires. As you mentioned earlier in game it changes constantly.

• Mark Moore

They won’t. For whatever reason, there is zero accountability from the MLBUU despite what is supposed to be in place. Not sure why the MLBPA isn’t raising Cain over it.

74. Mark Moore

Cowboy’s rare form tonight and Thrall is teeing him up. Current banter is about modern clubhouse amenities he wishes he could have had. The phrase “VHS” may or may not have been uttered (along with clubhouse chef).

75. Dennis Westrick

The Reds could open an orphanage given the number of runners abandoned on the bases so far tonight!

76. Kevin H

I often wonder why Farmer isn’t used as much. He has been pretty consistent this season. Maybe trying to keep him fresh and not wearing down?

77. VaRedsFan

Any particular person was Will throwing that ball to?
    A million and 3rd time.

• Kevin H

Looked like he got caught inbetween, what I mean is at last minute changed his mind and threw it to well you saw. LOL

• Mark Moore

Yep … he changed his mind very late and screwed up the throw. Actually the first error of his career.

78. Indy Red Man

Not a Wilson guy whatsoever. First guy just missed about 425 ft down the line then a single, 110 mph lineout and another single. He’s old too. Just cut him loose and let a young guy get some on-the-job training. Farmer has pitched better then Wilson anyway

• Kevin H

Me personally Lyon Richardson could be that young pitcher to plug in the bullpen.

• Melvin

Santillan has to be hoping to be traded.

79. Dennis Westrick

So, Benson no help at the plate and now he butchers a play in the outfield!

• Indy Red Man

I’d say he was a little help tonight with the bat

80. Mike W

They better not replace RH 23 year old Hines with the RH 33 year old we just got from the Giants tomorrow!

• Ted Alfred

Even Bell won’t screw this up. Ater tonight Hinds should and likely will start every game until the break. There would be a fan mutiny if he doesn’t. I’m still amazed he’s been sitting down at AAA this entire year while we’ve watched the most underwhelming outfield play for 85 games before he got a shot.

81. RedlegScott

Hinds! What a debut. (Sure, take him out of the line-up.)

82. Dennis Westrick

Seriously? Another bomb by Hinds! Obviously, time to send him back down to AAA before he hurts somebody in the outfield stands!

83. Melvin

I think it’s safe to say he’s provided a SPARK. 🙂

• Dennis Westrick

And increased traffic in the stadium walk-in medical clinic!

• Ted Alfred

This is the kind of thing most managers would love…so let’s just hope David Bell doesn’t overthink this with his analytics…and making sure nobody’s feelings get hurt….and we gotta make the new guy fit right in… yada yada yada.

No, what you gotta do is play the kid who scorched 3 more balls tonight to LF, CF and RF and is a single away from the cycle in his 2nd MLB GAME… every game until he cools down. You might be able to ride Hinds on a seven game winning streak into the break and then things look a whole lot better heading into the second half.

84. Stoney

Hinds! Just incredible. Taking full advantage of his opportunity!! Good for him. Keep it going!

85. VaRedsFan

Statcast needs fixing…
    That was 20 feet further than last night.

86. Melvin

Rockies defense playing like ours a lot of times tonight.

• Dennis Westrick

Maybe bad defense is a disease you can only catch at GABP!

87. Mark Moore

And a heads up by Espinal on that bobbled ball.

I know we rank on Benson a bunch. He’s fine tonight by me. Plus who else is going to man CF at this point?

88. Mark Moore

And then THAT happens!!!

Monster shot from Steer … on a line drive.

89. Indy Red Man

Maybe this Hinds kid will be a factor moving forward, but lets see him face some non-Rockie pitchers first

90. Dennis Westrick

Benson got a hit! Benson got a hit! The British are coming! The British are coming!

91. Optimist

Perhaps Doug should request something new again tomorrow.

92. Melvin

Post game write up?

Hinds POWERS the Reds past the Rockies!!

93. Melvin

Well he’s having an Aquino like month so far at least. 🙂

94. Dennis Westrick

The Pirates are mauling the Brewers 12-2 entering the bottom of the 8th inning!

95. Kevin H

Can anyone explain the check swing rule to me? That was a strikeout if you go by check swing?

• Mark Moore

Check swing is a judgement call by whatever umpire is on that line. The rule, I believe, says the batter has to “offer” at it, but the umpire has discretion. And that one got completely missed.

• Kevin H

Thanks Mark, of all the rules that one frustrates me the most. As you said that one was completely missed!!!

• Melvin

A swing is by an umpire’s judgement if the batter offered at the pitch. There are no rules other than that.

• Melvin

That’s from Tech Talk with Welsh and a MLB umpire a few years back.

• Ted Alfred

It was a swing. If the bat crosses any part of the plate, which it did by a lot, then it’s a swing.

• Melvin

Not arguing. Just telling you what the umpire said.

96. Mark Moore

Didn’t realize Hinds has all three of the “hard legs” of the cycle. Too bad he’s unlikely to get one more AB to find himself a single.

97. Dennis Westrick

Good start Farmer! The GOAL is to get 6 more outs you dingbat!

98. VaRedsFan

I’ll ask what I asked last night.
    Can Doyle be acquired?
    Send the kitchen sink if that’s what it takes.

99. Dennis Westrick

Farmer!!!!! Try to get at least one out before you get pulled off the mound!

• Kevin H

I take blame as I jinked him. I said he had been most consistent bullpen pitcher. LOL

Well, hello, Dennis … I wondered when you would comment on Farmer 😛

100. Dennis Westrick

Pitchers who nibble with a 6-run lead drive me nuts!

101. Mark Moore

Thinking about taking it out of the glove before he caught it.

102. Dennis Westrick

So, let me see if I got this right! Farmer has faced four batters so far! Leadoff HR, a HBP, then a SO followed by a walk! Great job!

103. Roger Garrett

Well I get the one inning per reliever thing but so often you find the guy that doesn’t have it and well up 6 its just hard to watch guys walk or get hit or homer.Just crazy to score 11 runs and still feel uneasy in the 8th inning.

104. Dennis Westrick

In case you guys can’t tell, I have no faith in Farmer! His ERA is very misleading!

• Dennis Westrick

Would switch him with Santillan in a heartbeat!

• Oldtimer

I’m glad you’re not the GM then. Farmer has been ERA+ over 100 for three years now. Santillan not as good.

• VaRedsFan

He struck out Doyle before the HR….ump blew the appeal.
      Espy dropped a ball that led the other run score.

105. Mark Moore

I’m beginning to shut down. I stayed up way too late thanks to that rain delay.

Great comment thread tonight. And, for the most part, we kept with what Doug requested. Winning in this fashion definitely helps that effort.

Night, all.

• Dennis Westrick

Same here Mark! Gonna try to hang in for 10 more minutes or 10 more runs, whichever happens first!

106. Melvin

Bally can’t figure out that the game is still going on. It switched to golf instruction. It will switch back eventually.

107. Roger Garrett

Really good to see Tyler with a good game at the plate.We need him.

108. Oldtimer

So the game I’m following on line looked like this. Lodolo was not very good tonight. Four earned runs in 3.2 IP. Reds relievers have given up two runs (one earned) in four (+) innings. Not bad.

Reds hitters have been hot tonight. Hitting is contagious.

I read 250 (+) comments on RLN and I wonder what game they’re following.

• Harry Stoner

Same as you.

We stopped watching the ‘72 or ‘75 or ‘68 Reds decades ago.

Lodolo came back cold after the rain delay as many pitchers do.

BP did a respectable job, but scoring 12 runs puts that in perspective.

Reds have been contagiously beating up on a woeful pitching staff.

The previous case contagious hitting lasted for a day, then a shutout. Then reappeared then a shutout.

Then there was Cleveland.

Fun to see it back.

• Oldtimer

Actually not true. Lodolo struggled but the bullpen did their job. The hitters did theirs.

RLN commenters are not very bright in some respects. SMH. Some of the dumbest comments I’ve ever seem anywhere.

• VaRedsFan

Lodolo was actually good, but couldn’t recover effectively after the 40 minute rain delay.
      Don’t blame the whole game thread on a few misguided commenters.
      We have to endure them every game, and it’s worse during a loss.

• Harry Stoner

Worth quoting the pre=game blather from a couple of RLN regulars:

“Hinds hasn’t earned the chance to start tonight.”

Funny stuff.

• Redgoggles

I’m thrilled for the kid. I was one who said he didn’t earn the call to the major leagues, and that I wouldn’t get my panties in a bunch if he did/didn’t start a particular game as he would get plenty of chances given the decimated roster.

I stand behind that, and will circle back to you when we get past the Rockies/Marlins. I hope to be wrong, but most times a .216 hitter with a 38% SO rate generally don’t turn into an all star at the major league level.

What has he done to date that would warrant the call for you?

• Harry Stoner

So you’re doubling down on being silly?

The Reds called him up.

I didn’t have anything to do with it and neither did you.

The kid has been playing baseball for years and working hard at it.

Some online bub says “He hadn’t earned it.”

Sure, come back in a week or tomorrow if it makes you feel good.

You’ll still sound cranky and foolish.

But that’s your privilege, right?

I’m sure you feel you’ve ’earned’ it.

• Melvin

Redgoggles – I’m just happy he’s here and doing well. We need a spark and he’s been that so far. Hope it continues. There are RARE occasions when a player, for whatever reason(s), figures it out at the ML level. Hope this is one of those times.

• Redgoggles

Agreed, happy for the spark. Didn’t mean to come across cranky, plenty of that to go around.

• Redgoggles

Yes Harry Stoner, I’ve “earned the right” to post my opinion on a sports news site. Whatever that means.

Playing baseball for years and working hard doesn’t merit a call to the big leagues. That’s just silly. There are literally thousands of players that would say otherwise.

I would feel best if Rece continues to hit this way. I just don’t expect it and won’t crucify the manager for not expecting him to. But, he does kind of need to play tomorrow now, right? 🙂

• Redgoggles

Yep. Perhaps a slight upgrade at DH over Espy as well.

• Melvin

He’s a .300 hitter. We know how rare that is.

109. Dennis Westrick

Gotta have that WALK! With two outs no doubt!

110. Mike W

I’m so glad to see us
    Well a 43-48 Tiger team swept us. So, hopefully we’ll sweep this 32-60 team (2nd worst in all of baseball and on pace to lose 115).
    Let’s do it again tomorrow. Good night gents!