Elly De La Cruz was the lone Cincinnati Reds All-Star selection this year. At least for a few days. Hunter Greene has been added to the roster today to replace the Los Angeles Dodgers Tyler Glasnow, who is injured.

Despite a 5-4 record on the year, Hunter Greene has had himself a strong season. He’s made 18 starts so far and posted a 3.45 ERA. In his 104.1 innings he’s given up just 76 hits, walked 43 batters, and he’s struck out 116 while having a 1.14 WHIP. Greene does lead the National League in one statistical category as I type this – hit batters, with 13 of them.

After being a league average-ish pitcher in 2022 and 2023 (ERA+ of 98 and 95), Greene has really taken a step forward this season. His ERA+ is up to 123 as he’s managed to cut down on his home runs allowed, which has seemingly been a big key to lowering his ERA.

Hunter Greene currently has 3.2 WAR (Baseball Reference version). That’s the third best among pitchers in the National League. He’s only trailing Atlanta’s Reynaldo Lopez (3.4 WAR), and Andrew Abbott (3.3 WAR). If we want to shift things to Fangraphs version of WAR, Greene’s 2.4 WAR ranks 8th in the National League among pitchers.

For Greene, it is his first All-Star selection. With his next scheduled outing being on Thursday, there’s a very good chance that he will be able to pitch in Tuesday’s game in Texas.

1. Old-school

I said before the year the Reds could win and make the playoffs if Elly became a star and Hunter turned into a frontline starter. Well… hunter and Elly did their part.

Congrats to 2 phenomenal Reds talents. Lets sign Elly to that Bobby Witt contract now.

• MBS

I’d love an 11-year contract with EDLC if he’d do it. The Witt deal would be a pretty fair deal for both. I’ve been hoping he’d sign a modest extension of 2 years, that leaves him open to sign a big deal going into his age 30 season, but 11 years would be better.

• mac624

I’d love it too, but if he holds out, NY or LA will give him a billion. No way the Reds will come close to that, even at 11 years. Maybe he’s one of the few that will stick around like Votto and others did and rep the small market team and still be paid well, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• mac624

Now just get some people healthy and find a consistent OF power bat and the first part of your sentence will also come true.

• Dewey Roberts

Yes, but look at the money wasted on free agent contracts that could have been spent on getting an a great position player. On the one hand, the Reds front office is so tight that that their belts are nearly cutting off their circulation. But then they throw money away on players that contribute little.

2. Chris

Congrats to Hunter. I’m really happy for him. If you are Abbott though, you have to be wondering, why not me?

• JohnnySofa

Was thinking the same … but then again, how many wins would Greene have if the Reds gave him even a morsel of run support.

3. JB

Amazing. People on here were calling him a fraud and everything else 2 months ago.

• Brian

I must have missed a single person calling him a fraud, let alone everyone. There were quite a few questioning the Ace status though and at the time, rightfully so.
      It mostly revolved around his pitch count and being able to get past the 5th inning.
      Nobody that I noticed ever doubted the talent. His worst case scenario was a 3-4 pitcher, hardly a fraud or a bust.

• Mauired

Go back to the April comments. There were ALOT of people doubting his talents and worst. Many people saying Reds should get rid of him or put him in bullpen. Now he’s an All-star and much deserved. I don’t know if it’s his draft position or the sports illustrated cover but the expectations and impatience for this guy is insane. Any time he has a bad start or even an average start, there will be 15 guys on here immediately blasting him. Reds were lucky to draft him. He’s probably the best player from that draft considering Lewis can’t stay healthy. One of the worst drafts in MLB history and Reds got an ALL-STAR starting pitcher.

• Brian

Again, I remember it as being his Ace label being questioned because he was having issues getting past the 5th inning.
        I don’t remember him being constantly degraded. I’m guessing it was probably worse than I remember and not as bad as others remember. I just don’t remember the masses thinking that there were 5 better starters on the team or anything that drastic. Either way, it’s an awesome honor that he has earned. Given his talent, he still has room to grow and hopefully that’s the case.

4. B-town Fan

If he does pitch in the game, I hope he just pitches like he has been and not crank it up to triple digits on every pitch he throws in his inning, to show off for the crowd. We don’t need him getting hurt.

5. Jonathan Linn

Well…if only Hunter would get his pitch count under control then he would be a real all star (as the Red leg nation train of thought goes)

Hunter is an Ace. Will be the first of many

6. JB WV

Way to go Hunter! That’s great. Next year Lodolo and Abbot join him, and hopefully 1 or 2 more position players

7. RedsMonk65

Here’s hoping that this is just the beginning of many All-Star honors for Greene, EDLC … and many more in the years to come. Remember in the 70s when the NL All-Star roster was dominated by Reds and Dodgers? Different times, of course.

• Oldtimer

Indeed, but not too many pitchers even back then. Reds SPs were underrated.

8. MK

What does Andrew Abbott have to do to get some respect. I am much more comfortably when Abbott starts than Greene . Plus other than K’s his numbers are better.

9. Jeremiah

Congrats Hunter Greene! I think Abbott could almost be there too on the All Star Team. I think overall Abbott is the current top pitcher on the staff because of his consistency, but Greene, Abbott, Lodolo if healthy, that is a solid top 3, with Montas, Spiers/Ashcraft, it”s a playoff type of rotation if they stay healthy.

10. Jeremiah

I looked back at the stats, and I have to say it is a little curious why Greene is picked over Abbott. Does Bell have any say in that with him being on the Coaching Staff? Is that a Torey Luvollo decision?

11. CFD3000

Congratulations to Hunter Greene!

Pretty encouraging that there are two lefties right behind him – Abbott and Lodolo – who could be and/or likely will be all stars this year or soon. How exciting that the Reds could have three All Star caliber starting pitchers in their rotation if Nick Lodolo can just stay healthy. Add to the current squad some TJ Friedl, some Matt McLain, a little CES and some #2 draft pick power bat (and maybe some Rece Hinds?) and things look really good indeed.