Major League Baseball announced the non-starters for the All-Star game on Sunday evening. The starters who were voted in were announced earlier this week. Every team gets at least one representative and for the Cincinnati Reds – at least for now – they will only have one. Shortstop Elly De La Cruz was named as a backup infielder for the team, making the All-Star team in his first full season in the big leagues.

That’s not much of a surprise. Elly De La Cruz was second in the National League in WAR (Fangraphs) entering this weekend. He leads the big leagues with 43 stolen bases. He’s also hitting .250/.343/.470 with 16 doubles, a league leading six triples, 15 home runs, he’s scored 60 runs, and he’s driven in 39. He leads the Reds in OPS (.813), home runs, steals, extra-base hits, walks, and slugging percentage.

Elly De La Cruz is the youngest All-Star for the Reds in nearly 60 years. The last time Cincinnati had a player named to the All-Star team who was younger than De La Cruz we have to go back to 1969 when a 21-year-old Johnny Bench was named to his second All-Star team when he was 21-years-old. Adam Dunn was two months older than De La Cruz when he made the team back in 2002.

While the Reds will only have one player at the game as things stand right now (spots may open up between now and next week for various reasons), Elly De La Cruz won’t be the only Red there. Manager David Bell was named to the All-Star coaching staff earlier this year by Arizona Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo.

And for those who were wondering about the home run derby and Elly De La Cruz….. Man, it sure would be fun to watch. But the Reds shortstop reportedly turned down the opportunity to participate this year, so we’re going to have to wait and see it if it’s going to happen.

• Tom noonan

I thought Cruz, our RP until Saturday. Or maybe Greene or Lodolo.

• MK

I think Andrew Abbott should have been in. With 8 wins and 3.28 ERA and a lineup without the most consistent runn scoring.

• Doc

Lodolo has 8 wins, era less than 3, and fewer losses.

1. William

This team is the fault of the owners, GM, and manager. It is just under bad leadership. Glad to see Marte back. I was always high on him. He just needs to follow the rules. I am just not impressed with the team that I see. The position players have mostly been a disappointment. I think a competitive team is coming, but maybe not until next year. Keep hope alive.

2. Melvin

Pretty good company. I think I’ve heard of that Bench guy somewhere before. 😉

• Earmbrister

Yeah, just like Elly who has played in every game for the Reds this year.

3. Jedi Joey

Congratulations, Elly! It would be nice to see him participate in the HR derby someday. I always wanted see what Adam Dunn could have done had he got a chance.

• MK

He needs to stay away from Derby. It has screwed up more hitting strokes than nuckleball pitchers. Todd Fraizer had one seaon where he topped out at .251 after his2 HR derbies. Bobby Abreu was screwed up for the rest of his career,. The smart guys pass when it comes to the derby.

I thought I heard they were going to have skills competitions this season. The last time they did that the Reds lost Larkin for a couple months with an elbow injury.

Play the game Elly and come back healthy.

• TR

Just get on base, Elly. Your speed will take care of everything else.

4. Oldtimer

Frank Robinson in 1956 but just one month shy of 21.

5. Old-school

Sign him for 10 years now to largest contract past Votto

He is a superstar

• OIdtimer

Scott Boras won’t allow that. He is destined for LA or NYC. His contract will be $500 M plus.

• MK

That worked so well the last time, racking up those Votto contract era championships.

This is still a small market team and with all the quality young players who are all going to be free agents at about the same time. Steer Abbot, and McLain are going to need some money to stay around.

As a 70+ ear old I doubt I will care or know what happens in 10 years. Sign players with the money and WIN NOW beforeI die. Then root for Elly in pinstripes in 7 years.

• VaRedsFan

How can you say Mclain needs to get paid?
        He’s played about 40% of 1 MLB season.
        I hope he will be as good as he was last year.
        Sophomore slump is a real thing.

6. doofus

I thought David Bell was a part of the coaching staff? No say in selecting pitchers?

• PTBNL

May be that that is the reason….he’s sly like a fox.

• Jason Franklin

I think if Lodolo had been healthy the whole first half, he probably would have made the team. Greene if he had gotten some run support (sound like most of the Reds starters).

7. Jason Franklin

Here is a fun (and pointless) hypothetical for you, my fellow Reds Heads:

If the Reds were offered a trade package for Elly, what would it take for another team to get him? What would the Reds want? Could the Reds get enough value to “out WAR” the loss of EDLC? I guess I am asking this with the idea that the cannot resign him when his contract time comes along in a few years.

• Jeremiah

Well, it’d depend on how he is playing of course in a couple years. I’m not sure I’d make the move to try and sign him long term yet, but what if the Reds offer him say 8 years 160 million in the offseason? Buying out 3 of his free agency years? It seems he’d be open to that kind of security financially, but I don’t know how all of this necessarily works especially with Boras.

• Jason Franklin

I am starting to think that Boras probably want’s to get 300 million contracts the more normal level for young stars (like how it was the 200 million contracts before). Boras would probably call it natural and just inflation. 🙂

• JB

Knowing flea market Bob, he would at least want cash considerations.

• Doc

The Yankees starting lineup plus the Dodgers minor league system, for a start.

• Nick in NKY

Hypothetically.

After a rough start to his much hyped debut, Jackson Holliday got sent down by the O’s. Holliday (IIRC) still has top prospect status; as in, number one in all MLB. Holliday plus a top starting pitcher prospect, plus 2 lotto tickets probably gets a return phone call.

Now why they would do that, I don’t know, as I’m pretty sure all Baltimore’s top prospects are infielders, but talent-wise I think that’s about where a conversation would start.

8. Jeremiah

Congrats Elly De La Cruz! He’s definitely deserving. He effects the game in so many different ways. He’s hit way better than I would have thought this year. I was worried a lot about his ability to hit in the big leagues after how he finished last year. He’s of course very streaky at times, but overall has settled in to be a decent #2 hitter. If he continues to improve, watch out. He could be on the level of a Aaron Judge, Ohtani type of impact on a team.

In a disappointing weekend, him making the All Star games some good news. I’d say Hunter Greene is the other Red that I think is a border line All-Star.

9. bug

Elly has 121 strike outs thus far this year. Benson has 111. Let me help with the math,..that’s 232 whiffs between the two of them before the break. You will never compete with the good teams with numbers like that. And I thought Dunn & Suarez struck out a lot! Sorry,..but that’s just WAY too many Ks.

• Doug Gray

Two teams have two players among the top 11 strikeout hitters in baseball among qualified hitters. The St. Louis Cardinals and the Seattle Mariners. Both clubs are over the .500 mark, at 47-42 and 49-43. Seattle has a third player in the top 20, and a 4th in the Top 25. The strikeouts are not the reason the Reds can’t compete.

• bug

I guess we can agree to disagree about that. It’s a long season. Competing with the best teams in baseball and playing above .500 are two different things. Reds just beat the Yanks 3 in a row too. Means nothing, as far as competing for a WS title. If the Cards and Mariners continue with those kinds of K numbers and win it all this year, then I’ll eat my words. Will you do the same if they don’t?

• Melvin

EDLC offers a lot more than Benson to balance out the Ks. That’s the difference. I will say when you have two guys in the top three in Ks in the entire majors and one of them isn’t pulling his weight then you have a big problem. One should go and we know which one.

• JB

Goldschmidt and Gorman are right there with them and the Cardinals have no problem.

10. VaRedsFan

Bobby Witt Jr got 11 years 288 million.
    Witt is the better player now, Elly might have more potential.

I’d be fine with an Elly contract in the same ballpark as Witt’s.