After picking up a series victory in Chicago, the Cincinnati Reds are heading out west. Tonight they will open up a 3-game series in Denver as they take on the Colorado Rockies. First pitch tonight is scheduled for 8:40pm ET.

Starting Lineup

Starting Pitchers

Pitcher IP ERA WHIP BB K
Andrew Abbott 63.0 3.29 1.13 17 46
Ryan Feltner 59.1 5.46 1.50 18 49
Links: Andrew Abbott’s Stats | Ryan Feltner’s Stats

Andrew Abbott

The Cardinals roughed up Andrew Abbott the last time he was on the mound, scoring six runs and hitting two homers against him in 6.0 innings. It was his first truly poor start of the year.

Teams are still avoiding sending many lefties to the plate against Abbott, and for good reason. They aren’t hitting for much average, rarely walk, and don’t hit for power. And that’s coming from the players deemed good enough to hit against him – which is generally only going to be your above-average caliber hitters. Righties aren’t hitting for any average or drawing many walks, either. But when they do get hits, they tends to go for extra-bases. 21 of the 40 hits right-handed batters have are extra-base hits this season.

Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 192 40 10 1 10 15 32 .226 .287 .463
LHH 64 14 3 0 1 2 14 .230 .266 .328

Pitch Usage

4-Seam Curve Slider Change
Velo 93.2 81.0 82.9 85.1
Usage 54% 12% 17% 17%

Ryan Feltner

The last time out did not go well for Ryan Feltner. He gave up five earned (and two unearned) in 4.1 innings at home against Cleveland. There were also two home runs among the eight hits he gave up that day.

Right-handed hitters have been solid against Feltner this season. They’re hitting for a good average, which is helping lead to a moderate on-base percentage because they aren’t walking much or hitting for a lot of power against him. Left-handed hitters, though, are doing even better when it comes to average – they are hitting .312 against him. They don’t walk much, but they are making plenty of contact and hitting for a good amount of power. Interestingly, he’s held batters to a lower OPS in Coors (.775) than when he’s been on the road (.824) this season.

Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 128 32 7 0 3 9 23 .278 .336 .417
LHH 136 39 9 0 5 9 26 .312 .353 .504

Pitch Usage

4-seam 2-seam Curve Slider Change
Velo 95.3 94.8 79.7 88.6 85.8
Usage 34% 13% 4% 35% 15%

When and Where

• Game time: 8:40pm ET
  • Where: Coors Field
  • Watch: Bally Sports Ohio, MLB.tv
  • Listen: 700 WLW AM (Cincinnati area)
  • Forecast: 83°, cloudy, 5% chance of rain

News and Notes

Noelvi Marte to begin rehab next Tuesday

If everything goes as planned, Cincinnati’s top prospect will begin a rehab assignment in eight days. His 80-game suspension will be up on June 27th as long as the Reds do not have any postponements that won’t be made up until after that day between now and then.

Checking in on the Reds Top 25 Prospects

Something we do over at RedsMinorLeagues.com is to check in on how the Reds Top 25 prospects are performing as of the first Monday each month. That’s today. And while there have been some good performers to this point in the season, it’s been a tough start to the year for many of the top 25. If you wanted to check in on how everyone’s performing, here’s your link to do just that.

Division Standings

Team W L GB
Milwaukee 36 23
St. Louis 28 29 7.0
Chicago 29 31 7.5
Pittsburgh 27 32 9.0
Cincinnati 26 33 10.0

1. Mark Moore

Time to Kick some Mile High Pig tonight!!!

Here’s to a great recovery outing from Abbott. He’s older now, because he just had his birthday … that should make a difference … 😛

2. LarkinPhillips

I actually think when you overload the lineup entirely with opposite handed hitters it can work in the pitchers benefit as he can get in a rhythm with the same sight line each batter. (I’m hoping that’s true and AA dominates)

Like mark said, it’s time to punt farm animals! Go reds!

• Mark Moore

They can punt them pretty much due North to a safe landing in Fort Collins and the BEST veterinary school in the country … Go Rams!! 😀

3. Indy Red Man

I didn’t realize the Rockies were only 1 under at home. I was hoping for a sweep, but we’ll be lucky to win the series. Having a speed advantage could work in our favor atleast with Coors huge outfield by legging out hits into doubles or triples. You have to connect first though

4. Beaufort Red

EDLC still batting 2nd and Benson over Hurtubise. I guess Bell knows best. I say that tongue in cheek. With those 2 the opposing team is guaranteed 8 strikeouts. Pretty good night

• Mark Moore

I stopped letting those choices from the #50 Field Manager boggle my mind. It was beginning to impact my actual life and ability to think straight 😉

• Mark Moore

And I’m sure I’ve asked this before, but are you in BUfort or BOWfort? I know there is a difference given I’m in the Raleigh area.

• Mark Moore

Gotcha … we were just down in Savannah for a visit (will be back the first week in July). I had a guy that worked for me who was on the Sheriff’s force for a while. He pointed out that that county has the distinction of one of the biggest per capita income gaps anywhere between the Low Country folks and Hilton Head.

5. Mark Moore

I’m in for about 90 minutes tonight. Maybe can push it a little, but as 10:30 nears, I have to think about shutting it down. I’m really hoping the boyz can score early and often and send me off to dreamland with a bit of confidence.

We shall see … 😐

6. JB WV

Tough place to play for the visitors. That thin air can mess with you for a day or so. Hope it’s not a problem and the good guys take 2 out of 3.

• Mark Moore

Last time I was out there was May 2006 for my graduation. Flew from Midway into the “Circus Tent Airport” and drove up to Fort Collins. Nothing too bad during that weekend, but then we went “down and up” to stay with some friends who were at a little log shack with a view of the North face of the Pike and at something over than 9K elevation (if not over 10K). Walked down to their horse corral one morning and then back up to the house (probably about 100′ in total elevation) and I was wrecked for the day.

7. Jason T.

Come on Abbott. He’s such a fun pitcher to watch. Hoping for a solid outing after his last one.
    Hoping for some solid run scoring tonight. Hopefully Elly and Benson snap out of their respective funks.
    Let’s get a W!

8. Mark Moore

Something’s up with Elly. I get watching the first strike. But that second one was right in his wheelhouse. Nice swat on that 3rd strike and a good play from Goodman to snag it. But I’m with the crowd that says something’s up.

9. Dennis Westrick

Reds better not take this Rockies team for granted, especially at home! I expect all 3 games to be high scoring! Just need to score one more run than the Rockies!

10. Mark Moore

13 pitches is NOT running up his count, boyz. It just isn’t.

11. Indy Red Man

Candy’s swing is so long(( Its going to be a long 3 years with him. He hit 22 HRs last year in Washington/Wrigley so I thought he might hit 25, but that ain’t happening. Worse thing is his ceiling is about a C+ hitter. Thats not encouraging

• Mark Moore

I think somebody will want him and we’ll move him yet this season. I know he’s kind of expensive for us, but not for many of the other clubs. You’re right about his swing, though.

• wkuchad

His OPS is .735. That’s close to league average and above average for the Reds. We’re not paying him a substantial amount. He was a depth signing, and we’re lucky to have him right now.

12. Mark Moore

Double? More like a single and advanced on a really weird backspin hop.

13. Mark Moore

Yeah … not a terrible pitch. That additional bag earlier bit us.

• Mark Moore

And if we can’t answer with some Crooked Numbers, I’m definitely feeling a Clete loading.

14. Dennis Westrick

Another Cy Young candidate on the mound for the Rockies with an ERA of 5+

15. RedsGettingBetter

The things aren’t starting good at Coors …

16. Mark Moore

Struck out the side on some pretty nasty stuff. Got to get to the Rocks starting now.

17. Matt McWax

Gotta be an E on Tovar, not sure what Welsh saw.

RAKE Fraley!

• Mark Moore

Cowboy said it should be an E6 … but they scored it a hit apparently.

• VaRedsFan

Rockies crew said hit all the way.
        Spencer and I agree.

18. Mark Moore

At least it’s a run scored. Looked like he topped that one.

• Jason T.

I want to like Martini, I really do, but… I’d rather give bats to Hurtibise. get him as many bats as he can get.

• VaRedsFan

I want to like them both, but Hurtubise is exactly raking either.
        .222 AVG
        .576 OPS

19. Mark Moore

Does the Chumpire realized this is the first game of three? He’s calling stuff as if he’s double parked. Not that I mind at this point.

20. Mark Moore

Shades of Davey C and the old skip throw at Riverfront.

• Mike Adams

That bounce only works on astroturf.
      I saw the replay and the ball looked like it slowed a little after the bounce on the grass.
      The bounce on natural grass isn’t as good as on turf.

21. Lfred

That De La Cruz bounce throw to first was Davey Concepcion style. A little stronger arm tho!

22. Indy Red Man

Better be in swing mode because this ump is in a hurry

• Mark Moore

A good 8 inches above if my eyesight is anything (and I did put my glasses on to watch tonight).

• Roger Garrett

Reds are always in swing mode.Dude had 6 outs on 23 pitches.Reds are getting some good hacks and well they ain’t stopping so hack and score works for me.Hope it works for them.

23. Mark Moore

I’m thinking somebody from the Rocks will get tossed for chirping about the strike zone. Can’t blame them.

And now it’s a 7-inning game.

24. Dennis Westrick

Really need to win this game and start reducing the 10-game deficit in the NL Central, especially since the Brew Crew lost tonight!

25. Roger Garrett

Elly does it and he and Benson get us a run.Yes sir.

26. Mark Moore

Gap flare double. RBI works.

Cowboy commenting on the success when they swing at the first pitch tonight.

27. Roger Garrett

Thats playing in to what we do so lets do it some more and score.

28. Old-school

Some solid at bats from some lefties.

Coors field to the Reds rescue

Candy with some juice and Fraley stringing together some AB’s

29. Roger Garrett

Could be a ton of runs scored tonight.Time for the old guys shower and bed.GO REDS

• Dennis Westrick

Hey! I resemble that remark! Will hang in until about 10:30!

30. VaRedsFan

107 Runs
    69 RBIs
    46 SB’s
    237/338/440
    Age 22

• Dennis Westrick

Exactly! Give the kid a break! Rome wasn’t built in a day! Sorry! As a lifelong engineer, that’s the only analogy I’ve got!

31. Gpod

At least the brewers are done playing a minor league team….maybe the reds can pick up a game or two

32. Old-school

Stop the presses

Reds have a .300 hitter

Jake Fraley

Get suter ready for 2 innings

• Mark Moore

Suter definitely knows how to pitch at Coors. Andrew is getting a tough lesson in it.

• JB

People are irritated with Fraley because he only has 1 homer. Heck the guy is hitting .300 now. I’ll take that any day over a guy hitting .198 with 8 homers. We are dying for guys to get on base.

• Jason T.

I’ll agree. I’ll take that everyday. He gets on base.
        Feel like he’s finally fully healthy too after some issues earlier this year.

33. Dennis Westrick

Simply cannot issue walks with 2 outs! They will, and normally do, haunt!

34. Dennis Westrick

AA just blew up his pitch count! 66 pitches thru 3 innings! Yikes!

35. RedsGettingBetter

The Abbott’s pitch count rocketed to 66 thru only 3 innings… This park does not guarantee to hold any lead

36. Old-school

Abbott needs to find a way to get 5 innings then suter 2 and offense score 7

Its coors field

Normal rules dont apply

• Dennis Westrick

Definitely gonna need more than 4 runs to win this or any game at Coors Field!

37. JB

Will be a good learning lesson for the young pitchers this series.

38. Jason T.

I hate that Logan Services commercial on Bally’s so much. That ladies voice drives me nuts.

39. Indy Red Man

Had to step away, but I see a good ole Coors game has broken out

• JB

Candy with a homer. I still think he can get 25 with the weather warming up in Cincy.

• Jason T.

Before tonight I would have said so. Way too many K’s.
      But I’ll give credit where credit is due. For at least these 2 at bats he’s looked great.

• Indy Red Man

Tall guys are always going to K alot….much bigger strike zone.

Bellinger is 6’4. First 3 years 146 Ks, 151, and 108

• Jason T.

I’ll get more excited about him when he’s consistently at .250 or better. But again, 2 nice at bats so far tonight.

• JB

Hmm as of yesterday you were all for sending Benson down.

• Jason T.

One game doesn’t erase a sub .200 average and a ton of K’s, so yes, I felt like he needed to work on his swing. Happy for his performance tonight and hope he continues to improve.

40. Jason T.

Really feel like TJ has such a positive impact on the hitting of this team. He gives them quality at bats and think that rubs off on others. Less pressing.

41. VaRedsFan

Great inning, but I have a feeling 7 isn’t enough.

42. Mark Moore

Held the lead. It’s now a 5-inning contest. Feeling a little better. Have somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes left in me.

43. Indy Red Man

Abbott reminds me of Phillip Seymour Hoffman a little bit. Miss that guy. He was one of the best actors ever. He was awesome as Art Howe in Moneyball

+5,000

He did an incredible job in that role. Enjoyed him in many movies.

• Jason T.

Owning Mahowny and Love Liza. Incredible performances.
      And of course Boogie Nights and Almost Famous.
      He was one of my favorite actors.

• Jason T.

Such an underrated gem! Great cast, great plot and fantastic acting.

44. Dennis Westrick

My gut feeling is that even 7 runs is not enough for a win in this launching pad!

• Old-school

I called for 7 but ill feel better with another touchdown!

• Andrew Brewer

And you got it ! Reds win 13-3 !! biggest lopside of the year, I’m thinking. And 18 hits total… no one was hitless.

45. Indy Red Man

This year hasn’t been great for Jake with risp, but last year had a .950 ops.

• wkuchad

For the majority of major leaguers (majority, but not all), OPS averages out over time for risp compared to overall.

46. VaRedsFan

Small ball worked that inning.
    Double
    Move him over
    Get him in.

47. Tom Reeves

Not sure I’ve ever seen anything like the Reds’ 2-4 in the line up.

De La CruzSS
    3 1 1 1 0 0 .234 .746

Candelario3B
    3 2 2 2 0 0 .236 .747

Steer1B
    3 1 1 0 0 1 .235 .743

48. VaRedsFan

Spillborghs (sp) on color for the Rockies is very good.

49. RedsGettingBetter

Abbott will be looking for a quality start next inning at 85 pitches for sure…

• Jason T.

After 3 I wouldn’t have guessed that but he’s settled down nicely. He’s fun to watch and always stays within himself.

50. Indy Red Man

India sees the 3rd most pitches in Mlb. He has value. I’d move him for an elite bullpen arm. Sims is just not going to cut it. Cruz is mostly solid, but we need him in the 5th-6th quite often. I don’t agree with moving Ashcraft to the pen….atleast not yet. He’s a workhorse, but just needs better offspeed

51. Mark Moore

Another small ball add-on. I like this and I’m beginning to like our chances tonight.

52. VaRedsFan

sac fly….left on left for Will.
    The Rox aren’t pitching him well with 2 strikes.

53. VaRedsFan

You guys wanting to go to bed might want to stick around and watch this. Might not hit hit this well for the rest of the year.

• Mark Moore

I know. I’m nearly done with “the routine”. I’m sticking it out for a bit more.

• JB

I’m hoping they break out this series and leave their slumps behind.

• Indy Red Man

I’m 57 and max out at about 5 hours of sleep a night. Also a lefty and we live 7 years shorter as well. I’ll try to make it to October though))

• VaRedsFan

6 hours for me no matter what time i go to bed.
        Lefty too, and i didnt know that stat…thanks a lot!

54. Mark Moore

OK, Candyman. Hear that quacking? Act accordingly.

55. Amarillo

The Reds have increased their entire team season batting average by 5 points in the first 6 innings.

56. Old-school

Went to a rockies game a few years ago

Great venue

Right field seats have great entertainment with views of rockies and great atmosphere
    Daves bbq solid
    One of my favorite parks

• Jason T.

That’s great to hear! I’ve heard good things about that park.
      Travel to Denver quite a bit. Great city and will have to see a game there sometime soon. Can’t believe I haven’t yet.

57. Mark Moore

OK, why not tag on that. You’ll score if he drops it. Missed opportunity.

Count the runs. That takes some of the sting away.

58. Jason T.

Double digit runs? Yes please!
    Great team hitting tonight.

• Jason T.

Correct! Fun to see and with some very solid team hitting. Would be great if they can keep the momentum moving forward from this!

59. Mark Moore

Well, Andrew, the boyz have spotted you an 8-run lead. Just get through the 6th.

60. Dennis Westrick

Abbott for the 6th?

Probably my last post of the night!

Question! When was the last time the Reds scored 10 or more runs?

To all those that will hang in there until the end, don’t let the Reds, namely Bell, screw this up!

61. Indy Red Man

This is fun, but save some for tomorrow please

Abbott rebounded pretty well too so our pen won’t get burned out

• Melvin

Any time a pitcher goes six innings these days it’s a big deal especially in this ball park.

62. JB

Brewers lost. We will actually pick up a game on them . Seems like forever since that happened.

• Dennis Westrick

Don’t count your chickens yet! Nine (9) more outs to go for the unpredictable Reds BP!

63. Mark Moore

Finished 6 with under 100 pitches and gets that QS stat (and hopefully the W). That’ll do, Pig. That’ll do.

64. Old-school

Abbott did great and offense did too

Fought through 6 at Coors in a powder keg night

That said

I am out

65. RedsGettingBetter

All the guys in the Reds lineup have hit at least one single tonight ..

66. Mark Moore

Hate to see us burn Suter tonight with this lead. Thinking we’ll see him, Cruz, and Diaz? Or will we see Farmer for one or two?

67. VaRedsFan

Who notices that Fraley swings at a lot of 1st pitches?

I generally don’t care if a guy swings at pitch 1 or pitch 8, as long as he swings at strikes.

Fraley on the 1st pitch
    .500/.500/.692

Swing away Jake!

• Jason T.

Absolutely noticed that. I did not however know his average was that high on them though. Love it!

• Melvin

Pitchers often like to get ahead so it’s not a bad idea a lot of the time.

68. Mark Moore

Last comment for the night. I’ll watch this inning and then I believe I’m out. Quite a night, friends. Just 8 more outs to seal the deal tonight.

69. Melvin

Fifteen hits. Hope we’re not using up our allotment for the series.

70. Melvin

I like that poke hit by Hurtubise there. It shows he’s a “hitter”.

• Jason T.

He’s definitely got potential. Tore is up last year in the minors and taking advantage of the chances he’s been given. Easy guy to root for.

71. Indy Red Man

Quick glance at tomorrow. Frankie vs Ty Blach. Blach is a soft tossing lefty w/4.15 era. Killing lefties, but righties hitting .326. He’s only gone 34 innings though

• Melvin

Can’t afford to have Stephenson out of the lineup unless absolutely necessary. DH or whatever.

• Jason T.

Spot on! Catching, DH, he needs to be in the lineup.

• Melvin

Needs to hit higher in the order when facing a righty. Too bad he can’t hit lefties although I don’t believe he’s as bad as a lot think.

• Melvin

I’m sure pitchers are picking up on that and will stop throwing him strikes on the first pitch. But until then……..

72. Jason T.

What a game! So much fun to watch.
    Let’s keep it going.

73. VaRedsFan

Nice game by the boys tonight.
    Would be great if they could gain some confidence with the bats and carry it over for a stretch.

74. RedsGettingBetter

Good. An easy win!! how long have the Reds won with a two-digit lead?

• Melvin

If a team is going to break out of a slump that is the place to do it. Hope it continues.