Well, the Cincinnati Reds got some bad news on Monday, learning that outfielder TJ Friedl has a fractured thumb after being hit by a pitch on Sunday in San Francisco during the 1st inning. Friedl was placed on the 10-day injured list as a result. In turn the team has called up outfielder Jacob Hurtubise.

For Friedl, it’s just another bad break – no pun intended – for him this season. He broke his wrist in spring training while diving for a ball and had just been activated last week. Friedl had played in just six games, including Sunday’s contest where he left the game after the first inning. As of the publishing there has not been a listed timetable for how long he’s expected to be out.

Cincinnati is calling up outfielder Jacob Hurtubise from the minor leagues to take Friedl’s spot on the roster. I say from the minor leagues because Hurtubise was actually on a minor league rehab stint of his own when he was called up. In the first week of the season he dove for a ball while playing left field in Louisville and injured his shoulder. He then missed all of April and the first few days of May before starting a rehab stint in Arizona and then he joined the High-A Dayton Dragons on Friday. On Saturday he went 2-4 with a double and then on Sunday he went 1-4 with a home run.

Prior to his injury with Louisville he had gone 2-8 with four walks. In 2023 Hurtubise was the breakout minor league player of the year if such a thing existed. Not that he had been bad in his career up to that point, but the left-handed hitting outfielder went out in 2023 and hit .330/.479/.483 with seven home runs. Entering the 2023 season he had hit one home run in his entire life – and we’re talking youth baseball, high school baseball, college baseball, and two years of professional baseball.

With Hurtubise you’re not going to get much power output. But he’s going to bring a good approach to the plate with a strong understanding of the strikezone. And he’s got the ability to steal plenty of bases for you – he’s stolen 102 of them in 293 minor league games in his career. Defensively he can cover you in center or left. His speed helps him make up for his reads and routes at times, which can be imperfect. His arm is solid, but doesn’t stand out.

The 26-year-old went undrafted out of Army in the 2020 season – playing in just five games before the year was cancelled. He signed with the Reds as an undrafted free agent and has worked his way up through the system since. In parts of his four seasons in the minor leagues he’s hit .295/.434/.392 with 162 walks and 183 strikeouts in 1090 plate appearances. You can see his career stats here.

1. Justin T

Jacob Hurtubise will come up and save the season, then we can talk about how smart Krall is again. I feel bad for TJ though. Hopefully the manager will play him and not sit him for some odd reason like Capel.

2. GreatRedLegsFan

Well, if there was any doubt of Fairchild’s immediate future with the Reds, those have just been erased for the time being.

3. LDS

This is shaping up to be a really ugly year. Let’s hope Hurtubise can replicate some of the 2023 performance at the ML level.

4. Klugo

X-rays are negative. X-rays are inconclusive. X-rays are positive. The Reds are a clown show.

• Jim Walker

Well, the odds went strongly from favorable to probably unfavorable when the report went from “negative” to “inconclusive”.

I am going to cut a lot of slack for the Reds medical team in this situation. I don’t believe they take a doc of their own on the road. We don’t know the quality of the equipment which gave the “negative” report or the qualifications of the human who rendered the “negative” report. It well might have been an in-stadium X-ray unit meant to give results to assist in triage accuracy and safety. If any Reds personnel were involved in reading it, we don’t know the quality of the image transmitted to them.

The quick follow on to “inconclusive” would tend to indicate Fiedl was moved to a locale where better equipment was located or alternately a more experienced orthopedist came online to interpret the original image. However the upgraded diagnosis happened, it was then followed up in short order by a more comprehensive diagnosis of the break.

Considering the incident happened on a Sunday afternoon which was also a getaway day, at this point, I don’t feel like it was mishandled.

• MK

It is nearly impossible to get a good x-Ray read immediately unless there is a large gap in the bones. If it is just a crack there is a need for the swelling to go down to get the best read. I believe the Reds message said there wasn’t a fracture on the X-Ray, but it would need to be reevaluated tomorrow(today) to be sure. So, I guess unless the “clown show” ais inventing new medical procedures, they were right-on.

5. Mark Moore

Cue the crowd who knows more about medicine than the medical staff in 3-2-1 …

I don’t fault the medical staff. I fault the failure to communicate even if the message is “we don’t know yet”. That’s nearly always the case with fractures and immediate x-rays as I understand it (and I am NOT a medical professional).

This is a real gut punch for Friedl, but at least we know and made the call-up instead of playing a man down which seems to be the normal approach.

Late-ish start tonight, so I won’t watch much. Plus we know the Snakes destroyed us a few days ago. Hopes do NOT run high from where I sit. So any good outcome will help my mood …

• Jim Walker

I’ll return that +10k to you for pointing out that saying you don’t know when you are not sure of something is usually a better way to go.

• jessecuster44

Reds med staff is terrible, but this one ain’t on them

6. Mauired

Haven’t seen a timeline for Friedl’s return. Any professional medical opinions available?

• Mark Moore

Good question. Fractures of the digits can be tricky. I have no idea about a broken thumb.

• Jim Walker

Heeding myself from above I don’t *know* either but logically given the thumb’s special role of being opposing, I would *guess* how it works would be more complicated and thus healing it the same.

• Mauired

Guess the silver lining is more time for the wrist to heal.

• Melvin

Just depends on where the break is on the thumb. Same thing happened to my son and he was only out two weeks. Something tells me it’s not that good for Friedl.

• RedsMonk65

Not a professional medical opinion, but Bell said before tonight’s tame Friedl will likely be out 4-5 weeks.

7. Mark A Verticchio

I hate to state the obvious but I think it’s getting real close to the time where we just have to admit, that with all that has gone wrong, 2024 will not be a good year for the Reds. Right now a .500 season would most likely be a miracle, oh well maybe 2025.

• Daytonnati

Maybe, but .500 these days can still get you into the playoffs.

• Harry Stoner

Friedl injury almost guarantees we won’t see the last of Bell until well into 2025, at the earliest.

We’re back to watching the Reds for whatever summer evening’s interest they can provide.

Playoffs? Post Season?

Not this year, no matter how many trades the RLN Jacobins are clamoring for.

• MK

Harry, historically the in-season hammer has dropped on Reds Managers at the end of a western road trip. So, I thought a critical date for Bell is how they do in Arizona and then limp home.

8. Harry Stoner

I am fluent in Spanish and Italian, and sometimes English on a good day.

French? When traveling, under duress at dinner, I can get by.

Hurtubise? I needed to look it up: Altered form of French Heurtebise or Hurtebise: topographic name for someone living in an exposed situation buffeted by the north wind from Old French hurte(r) ‘to collide knock against’ + bise ‘north wind’ or a habitational name from Heurtebise or Hurtebise names of several places mainly in the northern part of France.

Sounds about right for what the young man is stepping into.

• Jim Walker

I decided early on in spring I was going to memorize that the first two vowels were u, the third I and e was on the end. ;–)

• Mark Moore

+50,000 combined for this little gem and the use of “Jacobian” in the thread above … 😛 😮 😀

• Harry Stoner

Ha! Mark….I’ve been reading an extended tome on the French Revolution after watch the “Napoleon” bio-pic last fall.

Slow going,

My HS history class did a pretty good job with it, but the book is filling in a lot of blanks.

A lot of them show up: Franklin, Paine, Lafayette, and all the rogues: Marat, Robespierre, Danton, Talleyrand, etc.

On page 700 before Louis’s head rolls.

Has me putting the calls for Bell’s head in metaphorical perspective.

9. 50thyearRedsfan

It’s a long season and we are just getting started and one thing we have learned about this team is we have some potential aces in the starting rotation. Abbot, Lodolo, and Greene have the potential to be number one starters and when Ashcraft is having a good game he is very good as well. And Montas is a roller coaster like Ashcraft was last year, he pitches great for awhile then peters out. And everyone but Montas is under 4.00 in ERA so we gotta be happy with the future of our starting rotation. As for the hitting we are in a historic slump and there is only the hope these batters will get better as they get more experience. One thing for sure is they will all have a hot streak at some point and if that goes around like the sickness did we could get on another winning streak. It is hard to be positive unless we are looking at the bigger picture. I won’t give up on this season until it is mathematically impossible to reach September first with a .500 record because if we can somehow do that than anything is possible. At the moment I admit this team is depressing to watch and I can only look forward to the days when we start playing great baseball because it happens at some point in the year for every team, and then I will have a week or month of enjoying Reds baseball, but until then the suffering of the fans continues.

10. RedsGettingBetter

The likelihood of having a wrist fracture and after recovery going to play just 6 games to get fracture again should be really minimal but this happens to a good Reds player. Incredible.
    I think the Reds have much lefties on the bench maybe they considered call up Dunn but the problem is they would have to do a 40-man roster move …

11. MK

Harr, I was a college history major 50-years ago and was hoping to never have to think about the French Revolution again

• Harry Stoner

Pretty grim, indeed, MK.
      But many lessons.
      Like Bob Marley sang: “If you know your history, then you know where you’re coming from…”

12. MK

Orioles DFAed right-handed hitting outfielder Ryan McKenna today. He is hitting .375 so far in 2024 and with the need for a major league ready right-handed hitting outfielder maybe Reds should put in a claim for him.

13. Old-school

Fairchild swings 3-0
    And hits a 42 mph 6 hopper to the pitcher

What are the Reds doing???

• Harry Stoner

“Being themselves.”

Bell asleep at the wheel.

• jmb

They released him at the beginning of last season. So did a couple other teams.

14. Erik the red

The odds of this turning around is slim. Just way too many batters struggling. This is reminding me of 2020 when Votto led the team with a .226 average as I recall.

15. Melvin

Unbelievable. Now see, if the Reds would invest in bubbles to put around all their players these things wouldn’t happen. 😉