Everyone knew there would be rain on Wednesday in Philadelphia and the game was pushed back by three hours to try and accommodate that fact. It would still be another four hours after the scheduled first pitch (that was seven hours after the originally scheduled time before it was set for) before the teams would take the field. Cincinnati grabbed an early lead and some good pitching allowed them to hold on and pick up both a win on the day and a series victory in the first road trip of the year.

Final R H E
Cincinnati Reds (4-2) 4 6 0
Philadelphia Phillies (2-4)
1 6 2
W: Montas (2-0) L: Wheeler SV: Diaz (1)
Statcast | Box Score | Game Thread

Neither team got much going at the plate in the first two innings as Zack Wheeler and Frankie Montas put in work. But the Reds got a little bit of help in the top of the 3rd inning when Nick Martini reached on a grounder that Bryson Stott couldn’t come up with to start the inning. Jonathan India would be hit by a pitch later in the inning to put two men on with one out. Will Benson would ground out, but move both runners up. That made it easy for both runners to score when Christian Encarnacion-Strand doubled off of the wall to give the Reds a 2-0 lead.

Frankie Montas continued to work his way through the Phillies lineup through the 5th inning. Cincinnati would then give him another run to work with after back-to-back doubles from Jake Fraley and Elly De La Cruz – with the latter extending De La Cruz’s hit streak to 11 games going back to last season.

That run turned out to be important because in the bottom of the 6th Montas ran into trouble immediately, giving up a home run to Kyle Schwarber to cut the lead to 3-1. After retiring the next two batters, Montas gave up a single and then two straight walks to load the bases. That led to a pitching change and Cincinnati brought in Justin Wilson to face lefty Brandon Marsh. Philadelphia opted to let Marsh hit instead of going to their bench to play the match up and it worked to the Reds favor as he popped out in foul territory to Jeimer Candelario to strand all three runners.

After Lucas Sims worked around a walk in the bottom of the 7th inning the Reds came to the dish for the top of the 8th. After two strikeouts to begin the inning, Jeimer Candelario came to the plate and after swinging through a pitch for a strike, he was checked on by the trainer after he clearly felt something in his hand/wrist area. He stayed in the game and on the next pitch he doubled into right field but after reaching bases he was still trying to shake out his hand. Stuart Fairchild would pinch hit for Jake Fraley and strike out to end the inning. When the bottom of the inning began, Candelario didn’t take the field and was replaced by Santiago Espinal.

The Reds offense got back to work in the top of the 9th inning when Spencer Steer tripled with one out. Cincinnati sent Bubba Thompson out to pinch run for him, but his speed wasn’t necessary as Nick Martini singled up the middle to pad the lead to 4-1.

Alexis Diaz came out of the bullpen for the bottom of the 9th, set to face 6-7-8 of the lineup. But before he even reached the mound, the umpires gathered to “inspect” him. He was allowed to remain in the game. Diaz would strike out the first two batters before an 11-pitch at-bat from Whit Merrifield ended in a bloop single into center to keep the game alive. Alec Bohm hit the ball hard, but Will Benson caught the final out on the warning track in right field as Diaz picked up the save and the Reds took the series in Philadelphia.

Key Moment of the Game

Justin Wilson stranding the bases loaded in the bottom of the 6th inning of a 2-run game.

Notes Worth Noting

After saying he was going to win 20 games in 2024, Frankie Montas is now at 2-0 and on pace for 34 wins.

Christian Encarnacion-Strand went 0-8 in the first two games of the season. He’s had a hit in all four games since then, including an extra-base hit in three of those four games.

Sam Moll made a rehab appearance in Triple-A tonight and threw a perfect inning. His fastball velocity remained down nearly 4 MPH from where it was last year, though.

The Reds are off on Thursday. They’ll return to the field on Friday. Of note – that game is NOT on Bally Sports Ohio. It’s the Apple TV+ game of the week. Prepare accordingly.

Up Next for the Cincinnati Reds

New York Mets vs Cincinnati Reds

Friday April 5th, 6:40pm ET

Jose Quintana (0-1, 3.86 ERA) vs Hunter Greene (0-0, 3.86 ERA)

1. Old-school

Reds win 2/3 against a good Phillies team and beat one of the best pitchers in baseball. Frankie Montas solid again.

Ill take 4-2

• VaRedsFan

Beating Wheeler is a feather in their cap.
      Wheeler was dealing and was a victim of bad defense allowing the Reds to get their 1st 2 unearned runs.

2. VaRedsFan

Phillies broadcast showed Candy wincing in pain on a play in the field prior to the AB which probably aggravated whatever it was.

The Sam Moll development is concerning as well.

3. Dennis Westrick

Great job by all of the Reds bullpen pitchers tonight! And, Diaz lowered his ERA to below 10 to boot! Bell makes me nervous every game once he removes the SP but he made all the right moves tonight! Kudos to Bell from a fan who is not a fan of Bell!

• Doc

Amazing how the moves always seem to be the right ones when they players perform but the wrong ones when the players don’t!

4. Klugo

Just keep winning series. (What’s the plural for series?)
    Way to go Reds.

5. Rut

Hard to say any win in April is “huge”, so I will just say this was a great win for the Reds! Nice to have a good start and hope they can keep it rolling.

Fwiw, getting Lodolo in May and Marte in July should be a big boost to a contending club. Early series wins like this should make us a contending club…

• Dennis Westrick

Hopefully Matt McLain will also be able to rejoin the team for the stretch run!

• Oldtimer

Shoulder surgery. Unlikely. Ask a doctor.

• Grand Salami

Yeah, the Mancuso blog had a thorough breakdown of the injury, surgery, and comparable players with that injury to note recovery time, etc.

Bottom line- he could definitely be back in 5 months (late Aug) but he probably won’t be back to form until next season.

• Kurt Frost

Marte comes back for the second half and shores up the infield and gets the Reds to the playoffs and McClain is healthy enough by late September to take Marte’s spot in the playoffs.

• Melvin

Kurt Frost – That’s an optimistic plan. Hope it works. 🙂

6. RedlegScott

Clutch hitting and even better pitching. I hope Montas gets his 34 wins.

7. Dennis Westrick

Oh, almost forgot! Another outstanding start by Montas! Gutsy performance from a guy who battles every batter!

Only negative was the double digit strikeouts (15) by the good guys!

8. Reddawg2012

David Bell just said they don’t think the Candelario injury is too serious (granted he always says that). Fingers crossed.

Great series win!

• Melvin

Yeah. Not very comforting. lol Hope it’s true this time.

• Tom Noonan

Yes, he said hyperextended. Who knows. But worse case, move Steer to 3B, Fairchild in the OF as a starter or bring up Dunn/Hurtibise. We will be fine. But hope he recovers quickly.

What we really need is TJ back to lead off but India is doing a great job there.

• Mauired

Hurtubise on IL so unfortunately he won’t be on the team soon. Dunn not on the roster so he’s unlikely as well.

9. Indy Red Man

Candy with a nice oppo double off a former closer in Soto. I’d be happy with a .780ish ops from him….in the 7th hole.

Side note…wonder if they’ve done something with the radar guns because everyone’s velo seems down. Wheeler is usually 97 and he w as 93-94 tonight. Either way a very nice series win and Krall deserves alot of credit for astute pickups like Justin Wilson, Martini, etc

• Tom Noonan

Yes! Especially Montas. He looks like the real deal.

• 2020ball

Im certain weather and the delay could be a factor there

• Nate E Howell

It was very cold for baseball. That affects velocity for sure.

• PTBNL

read the Bible a time or two….that place ain’t cold.
        🙂

• Tom Reeves

Dante disagrees. The 9th level was completely frozen.

• Mauired

I think the weather is a better explanation for lower velocity than a radar gun conspiracy theory

10. RedsGettingBetter

Huge win. The Reds capitalized the chances offensively and the pitching was supreme.
    Montas responding like an ace against a very strong lineup.
    Hopefully Candelario just feels some pain and won’t miss any playing time to be ready on Friday. Despite he is not hitting as expected the Reds need him in the lineup everyday, if he is also going to IL would be really overwhelming…God forbid

• John C.

Hopefully it doesn’t happen but if Candy is out for a while. CES goes to third and Ford goes to first.

• TJ

I was thinking they might even move Steer to 3rd and have Fairchild play center. It’ll be interesting to see what they do if Candy is out of the lineup for a few days

• MK

What does Martini have to do so Ford stops coming up everyday. If anyone goes to first it would be Martini.

• David

If Candelario is out for a few days, I would bet that EDLC goes to third, and Santiago Espinal comes in to play short.
      They may have CES play third, and Martini could then play 1st base against right handed pitching, and Stephenson or Steer could play first against left handed pitching, should that need arise.
      I really don’t want to see Steer to play third base.

I don’t think that they would bring up Ford to play. He is not on the 40 man roster, and that would mean a roster move, even if Candelario goes on the DL

• JB WV

I hope they leave CES at first; he looks good over there. Elly to third and Espinal at short sounds right.

• earmbrister

Great win. My knee jerk reaction is that Bell won’t move EDLC, although after his rough defensive night two nights ago, the change of pace might do Elly well. Don’t see moving multiple players around, Espinal probably will be playing 3B if Candelario is out for the short term.

• MBS

@Dave, that’s probably right, Espinal will get the starts vacated by Candy if he misses a few games. If it’s an IL trip, Ford would be in play imo.

The only 2 offensive players on the 40 man roster in the minors are Hinds, and Hurtubise. Hurtubise is hurt, and it’s a big ask of Hinds to come up and contribute. Ford is the most logical choice for a call up. I might try and pass Roa through waivers.

• Chris

They might put Espinal at 3rd, but no way are they moving EDLC off of SS. They want him there and they want him to get better there, so moving him is not in the cards.

• LDS

Or bring Steer in for 3rd and call up Dunn. That would be another alternative. Premature perhaps, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Tom Noonan

And I don’t think that’s desperate at all. .

11. sultanofswaff

I really respect the effort the team put in tonight— to wait out the rain delay and then battle in those conditions.

I used to coach high school baseball for a lot of years and I always tell people the coldest I’ve ever been in my life is standing outside for three hours when it’s 40°, windy, and misting….. which was like half the season here in northern Illinois. lol

• Jim Walker

Yeah, the coldest I’ve ever felt at a ballgame was the 1979 NLCS sitting behind the Reds dugout in the temporary row of folding chairs they put in green seats at Riverfront for playoffs and anticipated sellouts. A northwest wind was whipping into the stadium along with the unanticipated early cold snap. I thought I had dressed for it but no. I can’t imagine how it must have felt on the field in a baseball uniform given the state of sports thermal wear back then.

• Dennis Westrick

Jim, I was there as well but was sitting in the red seats along the first base side just a few a few rows from the top! Only place colder would have been Antartica!

• Jim Walker

@Dennis +500. You may have been close to my dad and brother. I recall they were in foul territory high red seats that night but not which side they were on.

My dad had gotten those seats via purchase preference from a multigame regular season deal he had purchased.

As per usual, we attended Fan Appreciation Day; and during the game, they announced a limited quantity of returned tickets were available for game 1 of the NLCS at the stadium inside ticket office. I hustled over to it and managed to cop that outstanding seat I had for no more than he had paid for the nosebleeders. I think it had been previously decided my dad and I were going to use the 2 original tickets and getting a 3rd seat so my brother could attend was why I bought the returned ticket.

• mac624

Games like this show how mentally tough a team is, and this team has improved a lot in this area of the game. Very encouraging win tonight under very tough circumstances.

• Jim Walker

This was also the 2nd consecutive series they dug in and won a game 3 get away rubber match after losing a tough game 2. My recollection is they had issues in this department last year,

12. Mauired

Nice series win on the road. Conditions looked like NFL weather. Just terrible. Not to nitpick on Bell, but why pinch run for Steer when he’s on 3rd (after a triple) in the ninth? Is Bubba that much faster to score from there? Seemed kind of silly to me. Especially when Bubba could have pinch run for Martini, the next batter, who got thrown out trying to steal to end the inning. It’s the little things Bell does that are head scratchers at times. If you want to get everyone in the game little league style just do it more strategically.

• 2020ball

I truly disdain when people use things that happened after something to justify their argument of what should have happened before. Hindsight is 2020 good sir. Couldve been strategy to try and scratch across a short sac fly, or maybe it was just to give him a breather or there could be some minor injury hes dealing with, who knows. Either way tearing your hair out over something so small seems silly to me.

• 2020ball

I forgot completely they were on the road and that means Thompson replaced our worst OF on defense in the bottom of the 9th (i didnt see the game). Honestly my friend, in what world is this the wrong move? Im having a real hard time seeing your gripe.

• Mauired

Sorry you disdain my comment but I’m not tearing my hair out. I said I thought it was a silly move and I thought that as it was happening not after (I watched the game).

Bubba had zero impact on the game. Instead of using the guy that is literally paid to steal bases in a situation where he can do that, he jogged home from 3rd on a basehit and didn’t get a ball hit to him on defense.

If anyone is exaggerating it’s or whining it’s you. They won the game because Montas pitched well not because of Bell. Bell actually was lucky because he left Montas in after giving up a home run and then load the bases when it was obvious that Montas had lost it. Fortunately Wilson got them out of the bases loaded jam or Reds probably lose the series. Bell consistently underutilizes and miscast players. It’s the little moves over the course of the season that gets a team to the playoffs. Bell has shown for years now, he is not competent enough to make the right moves in tight games to come out on top. Probably why the offense always has to have the incredible comeback to get wins.

• Beaufort Red

Mauired. Your disdain for Bell is gonna make it a long season. Can’t even enjoy a win against a very good team. Move made perfect sense.

• Mauired

Beaufort. The win is good. I said it before the series that the Reds are in Philly at the perfect time. Their lineup wasn’t hitting much and with the weather being so bad they still aren’t hitting besides that Harper guy. You can give Bell all the love you want. But he’s still doing weird stuff like hitting his best hitter seven, taking the starting pitching out after a homer and loading the bases, and pinch running one of the top base stealers in a non base stealing situation. I’m sorry if I think Bell didn’t win by making great decisions but he got lucky. If the Phillies lineup was hitting like they will be this summer Reds may have gotten swept with this manager.

• 2020ball

Haha, yeaaaah, im the one whos exaggerating and whining. K dude sure.

Players are subbed out for defense ALL THE TIME, i challenge you to find a manager that doesnt do that. I perfectly explained that and you cant get off the high horse? Fine, stay there if you like.

• Mauired

2020 frankly I’m sick of you. You always complain and overreact to comments while telling people not to complain and overreact. You are the biggest hypocrite on this site. And you always make it personal. If you disagree with my comment why don’t you just make a counterpoint and move on instead of your personal comments like get off your high horse or stop tearing your hair out. It’s really not necessary to get personal if you disagree with other posters.

• Mauired

And guess what never said Bubba can’t come in to play defense. I was saying it was silly to run for Steer. Nobody is saying if Bubba pinch runs later, he can’t play defense too. Which seems to be half the counter argument here.

• Mauired

Case in point. You telling me to get off my high horse but then responding to a comment that I’m over fanning that yup you have been saying that for years but nobody listens. Who made you the sheriff in town?

• IndyRedsFan

Given the score, and that it was the top of the 9th, Thompson was going to replace Steer as a defensive replacement in the OF in the bottom of the inning whether that run scored or not.

So why not have him PR there and increase the chances of scoring on a short SF?

in other words…the move made perfect sense to me.

• IndyRedsFan

2020,

it looks like we were having the same thought at the same time……

• Tom Noonan

I was thinking the same thing. I mean Steer is a very good baserunner. Not blazing fast but in all likelihood, we were looking at a SF and if it’s decent depth, Steer could score then stay in the game.

A case of over-managing.

• Reaganspad

Disagree. See IndyRedsFan above.

This is a case of fan boards over-fanning

• 2020ball

Yup, been trying to tell them for years but it’ll never get through.

• Still a Red

Other possible reasons to pinch run Bubba, ball gets away from catcher…Steer gassed running out a triple, possible injury at home plate, as mentioned a short fly ball.
      I don’t know if Bell is a good manager or not, but I suspect most managers make head scratching moves. Some work some don’t. Easy to second guess, even in real time. I think the “get everyone in the game little league style,” is a little unfair.

• Mauired

Ha. Steer is a 26 year old million dollar athlete with speed. I don’t think scoring from 3rd is that difficult for him. Injuries at the plate pretty much were taken out of the game when Buster Posey was hurt over a decade ago.

I admit it’s a quibble. Not a big deal. But the little things add up fast with Bell. I appreciate Reds won. I am actually happy with Bubba on the roster as the 26th man even if it’s temporary. I just want the manager to utilize him for the reason he’s taking a roster spot.

When Billy Hamilton initially made the Reds in September 2013, the last time Reds made the playoffs (2020 didn’t count) he was used exclusively as a pinch runner and defensive replacement. And he was an absolute weapon in that role. When a guy would get in 1st (not 3rd) Dusty would immediately insert Billy and Billy would immediately get into scoring position. And many times come around to score a game winning or game tying run. Unfortunately it’s harder to roster a player for that reason since back then in September the roster was 40 players.

• BK

Because an additional run in the 9th inning is huge. Because he didn’t know Martini would reach. Because BT is a better OF than Steer for the 9th inning. In sum, potential for marginal gain against risk that Reds can’t hold a ninth inning lead.

• Mauired

Agreed. Get as many runs as you can. That’s exactly why I’m saying Steer is more than capable of scoring from 3rd, and you use your base stealer to get into scoring position.

Just not in my opinion the best use. Kind of like using Steer the best hitter on the Reds for a whole year now (maybe someone should tell Bell) in the seven hole in the lineup. When he has guys like Espinal hitting 5. Candelario based on results not salary should be hitting seven.

• greenmtred

My recollection is that Steer often batted 3rd, sometimes 2nd last year. Batting order’s importance is often overstated by older fans like me. A guy batting 3rd averages 68 more AB’s per year than the guy batting 7th, so that has some importance. The better hitter might get on base, say, 25 times per season in those extra AB’s, and the lesser hitter 20 times. On the other hand, how do you calculate the value of depriving the opponent’s pitchers of easy innings? It might be possible to do that calculation, but it would drive me nuts.

• 2020ball

Just to be clear Maui, i 100% think Steer should batting somehwere in the top three or five spots, and it shouldve happened yesterday. Since there are other good hitters there its not a major gripe by any means.

• VaRedsFan

You guys are leaving out the most obvious answer.
      In case of a ground ball to an infielder, Bubba has the best chance of beating the throw home on the contact play. As mentioned above, it gave them a chance to put their best defensive outfield in play in a close game for 1 inning.

Bell does a lot of things wrong in a lot of spots.
      I don’t think this was one of them.

• Mauired

Funny how many people defend Bell with a million hypotheticals that did not happen, but shoot me down and say Bell didn’t know Martini would get a hit which actually did happen. Lol. I guess I will have to be in the minority here. Not trying to over fan as someone put it. But not sure why it’s so hard to use the guy getting paid primarily to steal bases to steal bases.

• greenmtred

Of course Bell didn’t know Martini would get a hit, just as we don’t know whether our preferred option would.

• 2020ball

Yeah green, he is definitely not understanding how that is actually taking away from his argument.

• Mauired

This has kind of blown up more than I thought. I said from the beginning I was just nitpicking and thought the move was silly.

Now if it were a catcher on third and not Steer who just tripled ok it makes a little more sense to get a faster runner. But not sure we need that much of an upgrade already one of speedier guys on the team. In my opinion it’s overhanging. I do see I’m in the minority here.

Nobody knew Martini was going to get a hit including myself. I just felt when the substitution immediately happened; not after the martini hit and caught stealing that maybe it would be better to use Bubba later in a base stealing situation if possible. I just disagree with the use and priorities. And the whole defensive substitution has nothing to do with this. Bubba could have played defense regardless of pinch running for Steer

• Chris

I think you are using some hindsight is 20/20 in your post; even still you are missing it. Bell made the absolute perfect move at the time. Team is up by 2 runs, and making sure that the run scores from 3rd is paramount. Not to mention, and you clearly ignored this obvious fact, is that Bubba is the best CFer on the team right now, so you immediately upgrade the defense for the 9th. Bell does some boneheaded things, and does them often, but this was pure baseball acumen on his part with that move.

• Mauired

My opinion might be wrong or different than yours. But there’s no hindsight here.

I’m new to the DH rules. If Bubba were to have been inserted for Martini would he be ineligible to play the field?

• 2020ball

Hmmm, good question and just browsing the rule i think he can shift to CF and Steer could be made DH but im not 100% sure. Most of the restrictions for the DH revolve around the pitcher being used to hit or field and that negates the use of the DH for the rest of the game.

• Melvin

Personally I would greatly hesitate to replace arguably my best hitter in a close game especially since he’s not all that bad on defense and not all that slow (Winker). However I can see both ways. Just glad we won. Hope it continues.

13. GreatRedLegsFan

The division looks very even so far, with Cards and Pirates still to play a game at home. Only the Cards have a negative run differential (-3). I guess there won’t be a lagging team this year.

14. GreatRedLegsFan

Here wondering what roster moves will happen when Lodolo and Moll are activated from IL. Lodolo will join the starting rotation on April 10th against the Brewers, with Martinez moving back to the bullpen. Moll should follow soon afterwards. So far, the least effective relievers have been Sutter and Farmer, but it’s hard to tell.

15. Old Big Ed

Spencer Steer is such a good player. Plays every day (156 games in 2023); consistently gives good ABs; runs well enough to get 16 SBs; gets extra base hits (63 in 2023; strikes out less and less. He’s even got his strikeout rate to 16%, facing some decent pitchers. Solid, solid, solid.

The Reds need to do themselves a big favor and play Steer as the everyday left fielder, which they appear to be doing. Let him DH every now and then, and give him some games off. He already seems to be taking better routes and looking more comfortable out there, and he oughta be at least an average left fielder by the All Star break.

He’s gonna be in the 3 or 4 hole soon enough.

• Tom Noonan

Steer is so solid and steady and has good power. He might be our MVP (of the everyday players) while Friedl is out.

I can’t wait til this team heals, Friedl, Lodolo and Moll come back. Won’t be long!

This could be a hell of a team.

• Jim Walker

I agree with Steer as the everyday LF. Barring other injury situations, Bell is going to face a defining moment when Frield is ready to come back. Will he continue his ideological commitment to platooning or put his best 9 players on the lineup card every day?

A short term solution would be to displace Martini at DH with Fraley. But right now Martini has a career OPS+ 10 points better than Fraley’s albeit on around just half as many PAs as Fraley. What if Martini maintains his current pace through May into June?

• VaRedsFan

Then TJ comes back, I’m pretty sure Bubba will be sent down.

TJ and Steer play against all pitchers.

Benson RF/DH – Fraley RF/DH vs righties
        Stuey will play RF vs lefties. Espinal/India would mostly likely DH

• Jim Walker

VA> All things being equal when TJ returns, you are *almost certainly* correct. But if Martini is still OPSing like he is now (or even near that), I would not discount that Bell would come up with a scheme to keep Benson, Fraley, and Martini all in the lineup versus RH pitching. Such a scheme would be at the expense of either Steer or CES.

• Mauired

They should hit Elly after Steer every game just so Elly can watch Steer at the plate. If Elly had the same plate approach, he would be a top 5 player in baseball.

16. Reddawg2012

It sure does make a difference having a starting rotation that consistently goes 5+ innings and keeps the team in the game. Really going to need the pitching staff as a whole to step up if our position players keep getting injured.

17. Indy Red Man

Props to India too! I read it somewhere that he was our 8th-9th best hitter or something and I basically agreed except that he does seem to like leadoff. I, like many others, expected him to get traded and didn’t expect that much in return, but we’re glad he stayed as it turned out. He’s got a .393 obp so far and thats pretty strong! He remained upbeat and professional too despite basically being phased out of the starting 2B job.

• Nate Howell

My new favorite player Post-Joey. He was my favorite player to watch his rookie year and I told myself when Votto retires (because I believed my whole teenage/young adult years he would be a RED for life) he will take his place as my new favorite player. Seeing the trade rumors for him is disappointing. If everyone played as hard as he did and kept the same attitude each day our team would be just fine. No need to replace a natural leader.

• Tom Noonan

He’s been excellent! Great having him at the top of the order. So when Friedl comes back, who bats 1st and who bats 2nd?

• Still a Red

You’d probably want your speedier player batting first. Would batting 2nd be that much different for India?? Maybe. But I could see against righties, Friedl, India, Benson, Speer , CES and against lefties India, Friedl, Speer, CES, Candy

18. Mark Moore

Best news for me (aside from the obvious W) is the game was pretty quick and I didn’t have to drop out or stay up too late. I even hung around for Diaz with Day (we’ll see if anything comes of the “sticky huddle” or if it’s just a fart-in-the-wind).

At least the MLB/AppleTV thievery of Friday’s game appears to be the only one for our Reds. Not sure if I have a trial left or not (or if it matters). All part of the quest for $$ and the “*” from them stating I can watch “every out of market game”.

Hoping Candy’s elbow just needs a day or so of rest. Bring on the Metropolitans.

• JB WV

I bit the bullet and signed up for appletv last year when I got frustrated over these mlb.com shenanigans. $7 a month? I rationalized it by cutting out one glass of wine per month going out. I kind of lost track, though.

• Tom Noonan

Cutting out a glass of wine each month?! Stiff price to pay!

• Jim Walker

You can come and go as you please on the paying version of Apple TV. Sign up, pay for a month, then after the game cancel. Unless they have changed the rules, you will still get the full 30 days of access your monthly payment bought.

My issue is that I always forget to cancel till I see the email that the not month has been charged 😉

• VaRedsFan

Apple has some very good shows.
        Highly recommend Ted Lasso and Masters of the Air…among many others

• greenmtred

Agree, VaRedsFan: have you checked out Slow Horses? Funny and dark.

• VaRedsFan

Not yet GMR….I’ll give it a look

• Jim Walker

I just upped for a month. It is now $10. Hope no specials show up later but want to be ready.

19. Steven Ross

Kudos to Sims and Cruz. Both were dealin’.

We’re playing well without Friedl, McLain and Marte. That’s impressive.

• Tom Noonan

OMG, forgot McLain and Marte. I hope Matt can come back this year. He’s such a great player. Hope Marte will be in shape to contribute upon his return and has learned his lesson.

20. LDS

Another win and picked up a game on Pittsburgh, though games behind doesn’t matter much at this point. Some positives thus far this year:
    1) Montas has pitched well thus far coming back from surgery and inactivity.
    2) The Reds have continued their battling back tendencies
    3) Starting pitching has been collectively better thus far
    4) The team is hitting better at this point, .265 though that will tend down as the season progresses. It almost always does.
    5) Will Benson seems to be performing reasonably well as an everyday player
    6) The team’s speed is nice, leading MLB in triples and steals
    The negatives:
    1) The bullpen has been mercurial as it was often last year.
    2) Candelario hasn’t earned his contract yet.
    3) The team has continued its free swinging ways, striking out 67 times and walking only 14 – not optimal for success over the course of the season
    4) Bubba seems like a wasted roster slot – pinch runner and 9th inning defensive play – they could do better.
    4) EDLC? Major concerns thus far. His defensive performance has been abysmal and lackadaisical. His hitting is heading the wrong way at this point: EV is down, BB is down (only 1/2 the league average at 4%), his SO rate is way up at 48%, his pull pct is through the roof at 58.3%. Bottom line, he doesn’t seem to have his head on straight and that’s on the coaches and managers. With Arroyo and McLain out and Barrero gone, options are limited. But a stint in Louisville is probably warranted. He’s not going to be “okay”, as many here assert, without a major course correction.
    5) The first loss of the season rests firmly on Bell’s shoulders. The second was a team effort led by EDLC lousy performance at SS.
    6) The comeback wins are nice but the swinging for the fences strategy will fail more often than it succeeds.

• old-school

I would add that Steer seems to be progressing towards a good professional hitter and credible every day left fielder. Martini and Fraley have answered the bell hitting against righties as their primary job description and Jon India brings the intangibles of competing on every pitch in his at bats. I would disagree on Bubba. Hes the 26th man on an injured roster and not a core player but a role player with a narrow job description and so hes done a good job as a late inning replacement with 3 stolen bases and scored a few add-on runs. And yes, lets see more of Benson and give him a nice run as an everyday outfielder.

• LDS

Good points, though I have a sneaking feeling that Martini is Dietrich 2.0.

• Harry Stoner

A year of (year one) Dietrich Dos would be fine.
        I don’t think anyone is thinking of Martini as a long term solution to anything.
        Of course, he tried to play hurt, apparently concealing his injury and his performance went into a tailspin.

Reminds me of when some writer asked jazz great Paul Desmond:
        “I hear that you’re trying to make the alto sax sound like a dry martini.”

To which Desmond supposedly replied:
        “No, I’m trying to make the alto sax sound like TWO dry martinis.”

• greenmtred

Results are what’s relevant, but results don’t appear on your particular schedule. Your nearly constant refrain about the Reds not being able to develop young players ignores Steer, Benson, Friedl, India, McLain, Ashcraft, Abbott. CES is clearly on his way to becoming a good player and Elly is a work in progress. And I say, so what? Baseball is hard and he’s young. I think that if you paid attention to other teams, you’d find very similar things to complain about.

• Grover

EDLC hasn’t been great at the plate, contact is even worse than last year but its a wild over reaction to send him down so early. If we get to May and nothing is improved I don’t know what you do. If you send him down what does that gain? He’ll smash AAA pitching like he always does. Pray he’s not another AAAA hitter and keep sending him out there while working on his swing.

• LDS

Different coaching staff and an attitude adjustment. Bell won’t bench him nor give him that adjustment. At least, he hasn’t over the last year. EDLC’s problems seem mental/attitude. And that’s on the coaches and managers to correct.

• Jim t

@LDS he has spent about a 1/2 year at the major league level. Let’s give the kid and staff a chance to go forward. Bell has done well with other young players. Hopefully EDLC will get it together. Bell seems to be giving him the opportunity.

• Jim t

@LDS he has spent about a 1/2 year at the major league level. Let’s give the kid and staff a chance to go forward. Bell has done well with other young players. Hopefully EDLC will get it together. Bell seems to be giving him the opportunity to figure it out.

• greenmtred

EDLC currently has a better BA than India. A better BA than CES. Does that mean much? It means that the season is six games old. He’s gotten a hit in every game, I believe. The 2nd game against the Phils was a terrible game for him, particularly defensively, and maybe AAA could help with that. But does anybody really think that he has more to learn from AAA pitching? If we didn’t have such high expectations we might be a little more accepting of his growing pains.

• greenmtred

He actually did sit Elly for some games last year, and you have no idea–none–what else he and the coaching staff are doing. It’s just possible that they’re not over-reacting and looking for any opening to to cobble together confirmation of their strident opinions.

• LDS

Actually @greenmtred we do. A simple observation reveals the answer. What has changed? Simple as that. And that answer applies to sloppy fundamentals, base running, plate discipline, etc. Your position simply obfuscates the obvious.

• greenmtred

Unless you are always in the clubhouse, the manager’s office, the conversations among coaches and players, your simple observation has little relevance.

• LDS

Those are all irrelevant. Results are what’s relevant. You don’t have to hear or see the conversation to know that something hasn’t been corrected.

• Harry Stoner

EDLC is already “okay”. I’m hoping that he moves on to “good”.

• LDS

Sorry folks, a 48% SO rate and a 4% BB rate is not okay. Especially, for an individual with EDLC’s tools.

• Harry Stoner

Well, Mr. Semantics, I suppose it depends on what you mean by “okay”.

Here at RLN “Okay” and “Fine” are used synonymously, typically to imply “Don’t worry.”

I used Okay as in. “Just okay.” Which he is: just okay.

Maybe, when you’re not in one of you’re Self Righteous, Mr. Know-It-All moods, you might spot a little humor in some other folks’ posts.

You can’t handle that any better than Elly can an off-speed breaking ball.

EDLC will work his way out of his hitting issues before you work your way out of that.

That’s not likely to happen, though.

You’re even self-righteous about your self-righteousness.

• RedsMonk65

A couple of other positives and one additional negative, IMO:

+ Spencer Steer (’nuff said)
      + CES has had some key hits after a slow start (that 2-out, 2-RBI double against Wheeler last night was HUGE!)

– Pitiful defense at times has not helped the pitchers.

• Optimist

Very interesting points but so, so early. Still, a very useful list of things to watch.

I’d echo Monk’s point about defense. Aside from Elly, don’t know how they improve that – there’s only so much that “effort” can accomplish with that.

• BK

Could EDLC’s EV be down due to his bunt attempts?

Game #1 loss was on the players. You clearly didn’t watch the game, misplays at every position but LF. Those are performance issues, not coaching.

Defense has been the biggest problem. Defense extends innings and adds to pitching workload. It is easily why the lost Saturday and why Tuesdays game snowballed. Box scores don’t capture everything…gotta watch the games.

• LDS

@BK, bullpen managed cost the 1st game. And that’s on Bell. Letting Diaz get shelled was inexcusable, though it fits the established pattern.

• Jim t

Leaving your all star closer in the game wasn’t a bad decision regardless of the outcome. Especially this early in the season. That loss wasn’t on Bell.

• BK

Every manager in baseball would have used Diaz to close the game. The ump squeezed Diaz on the first hitter (three of the four pitches in the walk were strikes according to the strike zone box–this is still visible via the MLB.com box score. More importantly, the game was only within “save” range because of the earlier defense. Winker had a hard-hit ball; Meneses did not. So, you’re placing the blame on leaving Diaz in for six pitches longer than you would have preferred and ignoring everything else that happened.

“Confirmation bias is the tendency to seek out and prefer information that supports our preexisting beliefs. As a result, we tend to ignore any information that contradicts those beliefs.”

21. RedBB

Watching Castellanos play last night reminds me what a terrible outfielder he is. Misplayed at least 3 balls last night

• Rob

We have one of those too in LF. But both are good hitters and team players who I would take in a heartbeat. Both at the same time might be difficult though. Our guy is even about $20M cheaper than the other.

• JB WV

Our guy is a lot younger too and can grow into a relatively new position. He’s already better out there than George Foster (small chuckle).

• Mauired

I think Steer is already better in the field than Castellanos with a lot less experience. I was a big Castellanos fan and thought at the time Reds blew it by not paying him. But it looks like the contract is an overpay. His big 2021 with the Reds during his contract year looks like an outlier. He had MVP contender numbers. All his other years were above average but not worth 20 million a year.

• Rob

Mauired, I would have to see the defensive data to convince me that Steer is a poorer defender than Nick. We are talking 2023. Both are pretty poor as noted.

I did think I read somewhere that Steer and Fraley were both negative defenders, with Steer being among the worst in the league. I didn’t read close enough though as that may have included some of his 3B play.

I have already said I am more than ready to take Steer with what few warts he has. But lacking data, I am no where near endorsing him as a good defensive player.

• Mauired

I haven’t really seen anything Steer has done in the OF to be criticized. He seems average so far which is great since it’s a new position. I think he has the tools to be an above average OF

• Rob

Well I bit and looked up 2023 OAA and DRS for outfielders. Steer and Nick are similar and both among the bottom 20% for outfield defense in the National League. Not the very very worst (Schwarber) but about 15 more runs given up than the best guys (Tatis). By comparison, both Friedl and Fraley rank well above average and Benson average or slightly below.

I do agree that Steer has the much greater potential to improve. But as of today both he and Nick are ranked as pretty bad defensive OFs. (Looks like Steer’s primary weakness is getting to deep balls that others catch. Not an infield skill set.).

• Mauired

Fair enough. I think everyone agrees he’s a work in progress. I don’t think he even has 50 games of OF experience yet.

22. Fanman

EDLC has a great attitude, good teammate and willing to work and get better. Despite all the strikeouts he has an eleven game hitting streak. Most talented player in game. After errors the other night and strikeouts, I was questioning if he needed a wake up call. Stint at AAA. Work on things. After learning that he has 11 game hitting streak dating back to last season, he just needs to play through his mistakes. He makes lineup better just with his presence and threat. Makes everyone around him better. He needs more focus and let’s not let some frustrations and growing pains hinder us from enjoying the ride.

• Tom Mitsoff

My biggest concern about him is not his hitting. It’s his defense. He’s not fundamentally sound for the shortstop position, at least not now. There’s nothing for him to learn hitting-wise at AAA. He just has to go through this trial-by-fire period at the major league level and see how much adjustment he is able to make. Right now he has a very hard time laying off breaking and offspeed pitches near the bottom of the strike zone. You can deal with that development at the big-league level, but not defensive development at shortstop. Good teams have to have a shortstop they can count on to make all the plays, and he’s definitely not there at this point. I have no hate for EDLC. Like everyone else here, I hope he develops into the full superstar that is projected. But this team is finally at the point where they are competitive, and good defense at short is a must for teams in that position. We’ll see. If Candelario is out for awhile, I wouldn’t mind seeing Espinal at short and EDLC at third.

My hunch is that Bell will leave him at short until (or if) the point in time arrives where it’s clear that this team can’t fulfill its full potential with him at shortstop.

• David

I think, if Candelario is out for a few days, EDLC moves to third and Espinal plays short.
        And EDLC will see how well Espinal plays short. That could also be some motivation for him to get better.
        ML shortstops WHO CAN HIT are pretty valuable.

Ozzie Smith was maybe the best defensive SS in the modern era. And for most of his career, he was a pretty lousy hitter.
        Barry Larkin was a pretty good shortstop, and also a pretty good hitter. And that’s what made his so valuable.

• 2020ball

Complain all you want about his defense, but who are you playing instead? You cant say Espinal because thats not a viable solution.

• Harry Stoner

I don’t think ‘complaints’ about EDLC’s defense are inherently suggestions that he not play there.

They are fairly accurate observations…for discussion purposes…that his D isn’t up to necessary level.

Folks who point out his %50 K rate aren’t suggesting he be demoted to AAA either.

They’re making the point that he strikes out a lot, even if he has an 11 game hitting streak (and a .250 BA.)

Implicit in most such comments are the hope that he improves and gets the motivation / coaching to do so.

The SS situation is limited now but longer term, the Reds do have options for alternatives at SS if EDLC’s defense doesn’t come around as hoped.

• Melvin

In my view no matter what we think of it, EDLC is at SS this year as long as he’s healthy. There is no better option at this point anyway (Arroyo is the best but hurt of course). He’ll be a better SS for it. Just hope he doesn’t hurt winning while going through it. If Barrero had the same opportunity as EDLC is getting now his young career might be a totally different story.

• Mauired

It’s funny because many people said Barrero had so much time to prove himself. Elly now has just as many career at bats as Barrero has. And Elly was called up in June last year. They both have about 4 months of big league experience.

• Mauired

Not to mention the fact that Barrero’s at bats were scattered over four years while he was sharing positions with journeymen players or outright backing them up. Unlike Elly who was given the starting job and hasn’t looked back over his shoulder.

*Not a knock on Elly. I really wanted both of them on the team going forward. But it is weird how some top prospects get better opportunities than others.

• BK

@Maui, Barrero’s problem was that he was abysmal in his MLB looks:

– JB, 447 PA, -2.7 bWAR, 34 OPS+
        – EDLC, 452 PA, +0.7 bWAR, 89 OPS+

Not only is EDLC a much better prospect than Barrero, but he’s performing at a level that a competitive team can live with while he further develops. Barrero never did that for the Reds. More importantly, a lot of time has passed since Barrero was a coveted prospect.

You want Barrero to be the player you envision him being, but he’s actually the player that all 30 MLB teams passed on at the end of Spring Training. I wish he performed better (for him and the Reds), but I’m glad the Reds have learned to move on from bad investments over the last couple of years–this is a positive move for a franchise that showed reluctance to do so for a long time.

• Mauired

They might not be as far apart as you think. Before 2022, Baseball America rated Barrero as the number 1 prospect in Reds system ahead of Greene and Lodolo and top 30 in baseball.

Last year his ops with Reds was .619 compared to Elly’s .710. Elly’s was better but not dramatically.

• BK

That’s kind of my point, “before 2022” … that’s two years ago. How Barrero was viewed two years ago is not how the industry views him today, and I’m thankful the Reds elected not to chase the past with Barrero. Moreover, 100 points on OPS is a 17 percent difference. That’s really not close, especially given how much younger EDLC is and how many fewer upper-level MiLB plate appearances he’s had.

• Mauired

Good points. It’s likely that Barrero will not live up to the promise. I would love to see him play in majors to find out for sure. But as you said every team had an opportunity to pick him up and passed. And I’m not sure if he’s in extended spring training to get some more OF instruction but he has not made a single appearance in Rangers AAA games despite being on the roster.

23. MBS

SP’s are at a 2.76 ERA, which puts them as the 6th best ERA in baseball. It’s so early that it really doesn’t matter, but It still feels good to see the early returns.

It would be nice if Greene can get a bit more pitch efficient next go around.

• Big Al

Greene wasn’t great last time, but defense let him down on at least 3 occasions. Missed popup catches and Fairchild forgot how many outs there were. All led to runs, and extra pitches.

• Dennis Westrick

Greene should listen & learn from Frankie Montas’ appoach to pitching! Here’s what Montas said post game – “I’m trying to get outs in three pitches or less. That’s my main focus and not trying to strike everybody out. The quicker I get outs, the longer I can stay in the game.”

Strikeouts are nice but pitching into the 6th inning is better!

• VaRedsFan

I agree that getting quick outs is a major plus. Explain how Greene would go about that if the opposition swings and misses so often? You can’t be saying he should “let them hit the ball”. So there’s a built in fallacy to your logic.

My answer to my own question is to throw strikes on 0-2 and 1-2. He (and others not named Montas) have DJNS (DJ Nibbling Syndrome), where they turn 0-2 counts into 3-2 counts all the time.

Abbott was great when he first arrived, because he pounded the zone. Later on (not counting the last month when he was on empty), he stopped throwing as many strikes as he had before. Even in start #1 he got into nibbling mode.

• old-school

@ VA
        how long does this DJNS disease last? Sounds bad. Is there a cure? A vaccine? Its been contagious down in the confines of the Reds bullpen in years past. Hope Montas stays immune.

• VaRedsFan

There is a cure. But it would involve someone getting their feelings hurt. Just because they aren’t getting big money free agents doesn’t mean they can’t throw some money at the Dodgers or Mariners pitching coach. That could potentially do more than signing 1 big free agent, because a new strike-throwing philosophy can help multiple talented arms on this roster.

• RedBB

Yep, absolutely and Lodolo is about to come back too and he has looked great. Not to mention we have guys like Spiers, Lyon, Phillips and Lowder looking good in Spring and in the minors. Good problem to have….

• David

Rhett Lowder is a very talented young man. But he is a LONG way from the Majors. He is starting at High A this year. I expect him to get promoted (if he does as well as most expect) to AA in a month or two. But he may finish the year at AA, or maybe get promoted to AAA near the end of the season (AAA season is, I think, longer than the AA season).
        He has to build up his arm and body strength for a professional baseball season. I truly DON’T want to see him in Cincinnati this year, because it might mean a lot of things have gone wrong.

• VaRedsFan

@ David – Lowder did pitch 120 innings last year. While he might not pitch for the Reds this year. Her certainly could, if he is just too dominate where he’s at. He should have started at AA this year.

• Melvin

“Not to mention we have guys like Spiers, Lyon, Phillips and Lowder looking good in Spring”

Funny thing is in some years past those guys would be our best pitchers at the ML level. lol Starting pitching is our best asset this year.

• BK

I agree that Greene needs to be more pitch efficient, but having watched his start in its entirety, the defense was more responsible for his elevated pitch count than Greene was. With clean defense backing him, it’s quite possible he would have made it through 6 innings.

24. Jim Walker

Things get real now with 13 games in 13 days in 4 cities scattered across the breadth of every time zone the original 48 states spanned OK, they just fly over the Mountain zone going and returning with no games therein 😉

The schedule seemingly worked to their advantage with the 2 off days so far falling to setting up an extra day of rest for all the starting pitchers between their 1st and 2nd starts. Then if all goes to schedule, Lodolo will make his first start to push back the 3rd turns.

The depth is holding so far on the position side but they can ill afford another injury.

Hopefully, they will step up and make a statement (or 2) on this trip!

• Dennis Westrick

Hopefully, the Reds take advantage of the Mets having to play a DH today and then fly to Cincy for the first game of the weekend series!

• Mauired

Mets are also 0-5 before the second game. Not sure if they will be bad all year but good time for Reds to play them.

• Springfield Bob

The Reds need to get as many wins as possible this month because I think that May has the toughest Reds schedule of any month.

25. Indy Red Man

Signed up w Apple TV for Masters Of The Air and really like it. $10 month not so bad. Looking forward to seeing what the Reds/Mets broadcast looks like tomorrow night

• VaRedsFan

Masters of the Air was great! Highly recommended.
      People can watch an 8 episode series for less than the price of a movie ticket.

• Indy Red Man

It was no Band Of Brothers, but it was good. The air war over Europe was every bit as brutal as being in the infantry

• VaRedsFan

100% agree. Band of Brothers is in a class by itself.

• RedBB

I had a 3 month of Apple TV free from a Best Buy purchase I never activated. Tried it today and it works! Will watch Masters of the Air too as I have a heard a lot of good things about it.

• Jason Franklin

If you are a sci-fi, alternate history nerd like myself, I think you may enjoy “For All Mankind.” Pretty cool show which deals with the what-ifs and could have beens.

• Jim Walker

@Indy, But since I fired the cable/ internet company for 1 gig fiber internet elsewhere, it is $95 for Fubo (Bally), $10 for Frndly (to get one of my wife’s must have shows on Lifetime) and now the Apple (and Peacock) hits for baseball.

The new internet is cleaner and at least as reliable as I can run more streams and do NOT need to reboot my modem, router (and even cable box) every 10 days to 2 weeks to avoid snags, freezes and the like even on cable via the “traditional” box.

The jaspers at the cable company have things all ciphered out so that cable with Bally but w/o their internet would cost me the essentially the same as I am paying for Fubo et al. BUT if I buy their half gig internet and the cable package with Bally, it is $40 a month cheaper than my fiber gig internet plus Fubo et al.

Things are not going to get materially better until MLB has control of the streaming rights for all teams and packages them DTC w/o the current blackout maze/zoo,

26. lost11found

All in all a good first week. granted Diaz’s implosion against Washington did make me go uh-oh, but more from a ‘is he injured?’ point-of-view. Great though to see Steer pickup where he left off and Benson/CES has put together some good AB’s too, starters generally solid to strong and offense has largely been a group effort.

Bummer about McClain, but at this point in his career, I’d rather he get the surgery, especially if the longer term prognosis is better with it than without.

Team looks poised for a good season, but we will have to wait and see how it shakes out.

• lost11found

Forgot to ask, has any on heard more on the Diaz check by the umps last night.

Or was it simply damp rosin, that caused some confusion?

• Mauired

Overall Reds have had a fantastic 1st week. Obviously there’s some issues and injuries to overcome. But I think everyone should be happy with two series wins including one on the road in Philly. Hopefully Reds can get at least 2 of 3 against dreadful Mets. The four game series next week against Brewers is pretty big. Super early but it could have a lot of meaning down the road if the division is close. Are the Reds finally going to step up and beat the big brother in the division or implode once again?

• TR

Time will tell with a good first week in the books. IMO the Reds are loaded offensively and pitching wise, with some work needed defensively & in the bullpen. If a leader steps forward, such as Steer, this team could take off. I sense that Manager David Bell has matured somewhat, and a more laid-back managerial approach seems to be working.

27. Will the Red

Was at the game last night, one of the coldest, dampest baseball watching experiences I’ve had in quite some time. Great to see the good guys win and take the series in Philly, as that’s a rare occurrence. As streaky as Nicky C is, if Steer can develop into that good of a hitter and the Reds hold onto him, we’ll be lucky, because when Castellanos is locked in he’s tremendous. And his walks increased this series, so he might be getting there, even if he’s still swinging like it’s the NLCS. But when he’s not hitting his D tends to suffer and he had 2 bad plays on Monday and another last night (although the weather was shite, so YMMV).
    Now, for some fun Reds/Phillies trivia that at least a few of you may enjoy: including this April series, which the Reds won 2-1, the Reds have won a total of 4 series in the 20 years CBP has been open. Reds went 2-1 at the Phillies in Aug of 2021. Before that, they went 2-1 in 2017. In 2006, Reds were 2-1. 2 other seasons they went 2-2. Every other year since CBP opened in 2004, the Reds have won 1 or 0 games in their series against the Phillies, losing all 13 (the teams didn’t play each other in 2020, due to the Pandemic).

28. Indy Red Man

Michael Taylor is up to .478 for the Pirates. Love Krall, but he missed one there. He killed lefties last year and he’s better then Stuey and 5x better then Bubba Thompson

• Mauired

I think it’s a little early to make that call. Taylor is a career.240 hitter. I’ve never been a big Fairchild fan but he’s doing well so far. I’m also intrigued by Bubba. Former 1st rounder. Solid minor league career with some pop and a lot steals. He had a great spring to make the Reds.

29. Laredo Slider

Reds offense has to come from Steer, CES and EDLC….anything else will be hit and miss. Will be easier to defend Reds O as long as Bell buries Steer/EDLC 6th/7th in the lineup. Teams will soon start pitching around the Reds three top hitters.

• AllTheHype

Benson and Fraley were not hit and miss last year, nor this year. Candelario had a 119 OPS+ or higher 3 of last 4 years. Other teams can pitch around the lineup at their own peril. Reds aren’t solely reliant on 3 sticks.

30. AllTheHype

Mets played 20 innings today. 8 relievers combined to pitch 9 of those innings.

Reds need to get into the Mets bullpen tomorrow as early as possible.

• Mauired

Lefty on the mound so Bell will be using his righty lineup plus Benson.

31. LDS

DG posted a couple of good interviews on Patreon tonight, Collier and Lowder. Really liked their attitude and commitment. Whip out those credit cards and keep Doug in the green. Where else we going to go and argue about the Reds?

32. LarkinPhillips

Any news on Candy? If he is out for a while, I hope they don’t move steer back to the IF. Move India to 3b or Espinal. I’d prefer steer and Ces continue to learn the positions they are learning rather than move them again. It may ve a better move now, but I think it might hurt the development of those 2.

• Mauired

India back to his college position 3rd might be interesting. There was talk of it last year but never happened. Can it be worse than 2nd for him? Not sure about his arm but range isn’t as important as 2nd which seems to be an issue for him.

• greenmtred

The Reds’ website indicates that the injury isn’t serious, without being very specific, and that he is already feeling better.

• greenmtred

Actually, they did say that it appeared to have been hyperextended and said that he would be checked again prior to tonight’s game.

• greenmtred

Steer batting 2nd. So the controversy today will be Benson batting 8th? Possibly because a lefty is starting for the Mets.

33. Mauired

So far Benson is getting the Friedl treatment from last year. Higher in the order against rights and bottom of order against lefties. At least he’s getting his shot to play everyday this year. I think Bell is handling him pretty fairly this year. Probably could have made this move last summer though.

• old-school

Steer is the best 7 hole hitter in baseball against righties!

• MBS

I’m just glad he’s getting the AB’s vs LHP. If Benson goes from platoon to fulltime player, that’s a bid deal for him and the club.

• Mauired

I think so far he’s proving that he is capable of playing everyday and also that is capable of at least filling in at CF.

• MBS

@Maui, I agree, I think Bell was managing him last year. He took the pressure off of him and kept him at the bottom of the lineup, and kept him from unfavorable matchups, ie LHP.

Last year I was looking at his splits, and they really weren’t that bad vs LHP in AAA, in 2022. 22 was really his only good year in general, so I didn’t worry about his previous seasons.

Benson still has some prove it left to do, but I agree he’s well on his way to becoming an everyday guy.

• Jim t

Benson and Fraley have been terrible historically against lefties. It would be nice if one of them could become at least average against lefthanders.

• Mauired

Benson had 46 career at bats against lefties coming into this season. Not sure how that could be historically terrible. That’s like a week and a half worth of at bats.

• Jim t

In 46 at bats he has not hit well. I hope he can change that with more opportunities but it is a wait and see.

• Melvin

“So far Benson is getting the Friedl treatment from last year. Higher in the order against rights and bottom of order against lefties.”

Actually Friedl was in a platoon situation at the beginning so it’s better than that. Benson doesn’t look bad against lefties so far that I can see.