Cincinnati saw Bryce Harper crush three home runs last night as the Philadelphia Phillies evened up the series with the Reds. This afternoon the two clubs might be battling someone else – Mother Nature – as it’s supposed to rain all day long. If they can find a way to get the game in, first pitch is scheduled for 4:05pm ET. The game will be delayed. The Phillies announced (at 5:45pm ET) that the anticipated start time is between 7:30 and 7:45.

Starting Lineups

Starting Pitchers

Pitcher IP ERA WHIP BB K
Frankie Montas 6.0 0.00 0.67 0 4
Zack Wheeler 6.0 0.00 0.83 0 5
Links: Frankie Montas’ Stats | Zack Wheeler’s Stats

Frankie Montas

There’s only been one start in 2024 for Frankie Montas, but he’s already thrown more innings in 2024 than he did in 2023. In his Reds debut he tossed 6.0 shutout innings and looked outstanding.

Back in 2022 when he had enough innings to take some useful information from, he pitched much better against right-handed hitters. Righties didn’t walk much, struck out plenty, and didn’t show much power against him. Lefties didn’t hit for much average, but had a a walk rate more than twice as high, made a little more contact, and hit for a little more power.

2022 Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB% K% AVG OBP SLG
RHH 318 72 17 1 7 4.7% 24.2% .245 .288 .381
LHH 290 65 11 0 11 9.7% 22.4% .254 .330 .426

Pitch Usage (in 2022)

4-Seam 2-Seam Slider Split
Velo 96.2 95.7 88.1 86.5
Usage 13.2% 29.4% 25.0% 32.4%

Zack Wheeler

One of the best pitchers in baseball over the last six seasons, Zack Wheeler has some sizeable splits. He dominates right-handed hitters. They don’t walk. They don’t make contact. And when they do make contact they don’t do much with it. Lefties, though, are solid against him. They walk more often – though still less than league average – and they make contact at a solid rate. They don’t hit for much power against him, but carried a solid average against him in 2023.

2023 Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB% K% AVG OBP SLG
RHH 374 69 12 0 10 3.7% 32.6% .194 .235 .313
LHH 413 99 23 2 10 6.1% 21.8% .261 .310 .412

Pitch Usage

4-Seam 2-Seam Curve Slider Splitter
Velo 95.9 95.4 81.5 87.8 86.9
Usage 44% 18% 11% 27% 9%

When and Where

• Game time: 4:05pm ET
  • Where: Citizen’s Bank Ballpark, Philadelphia
  • Watch: Bally Sports Ohio, MLB.tv
  • Listen: 700 WLW AM (Cincinnati area)
  • Forecast: 49ยฐ, mostly sunny, 0% chance of rain

News and Notes

Wait ’til next year

Over at ESPN, Bradford Doolittle wrote about the World Series contenders, both this year and in the future. Things were broken down into several tiers: Their time is now, their time could be now, we’re saying they have a chance, wait ’til next year, and finally – two years away….at least.

He’s got the Reds in the 4th tier – wait ’til next year. He notes the suspension of Noelvi Marte and Matt McLain’s injury as a part of the “pivotal issue” with the club’s contention chances right now.

Thursday….

Matt Gelb, who covers the Phillies for The Athletic noted that today’s game is one in which the teams are going to wait out as long as they can with the weather because both teams would prefer to have tomorrow off instead of coming back to the field to try and make up this game.

Another minor league roster

The minor league baseball season is underway, but only for Triple-A teams. The other three full-season levels get started on Friday. Yesterday we got to see the Dayton Dragons roster. Today it was the day for the Daytona Tortugas roster to be unveiled and it’s got some real interesting young guys on the dirt, including last year’s top international signing Alfredo Duno – who is skipping entirely over the Arizona Complex League at age 18. We’ve got the full roster and some notes on several players over at RedsMinorLeagues.com if you’re into that kind of stuff.

Division Standings

Team W L GB
Pittsburgh 5 0
Milwaukee 4 0 0.5
Cincinnati 3 2 2.0
Chicago 3 2 2.0
St. Louis 2 3 3.0

1. Jpser05

I’m in Harrisburg, the weather does not look good. It could be a long wait for some baseball.

• greenmtred

They wouldn’t consider playing it where I am: rain, sleet, freezing rain, a foot or more of snow expected, and winds gusting higher than 50mph.

• DaveCT

Spring comes late in the high country, Pilgrim.

• greenmtred

They’ve just upped the wind gust estimate to possibly 70mph later tonight–Bronson Arroyo curve ball speed. Power will go out, so I may not see much of the game. I’ll have to count on you guys for an unbiased recap.

• Oldtimer

He’s A Pitcher, Part Yogi, And Part … if you know, you know.

2. CI3J

Why is Steer still hitting so low in the lineup? Can anyone explain it to me?

• Rick

In Bell’s mind(scary thought), Steer will have 6 men on base when he hits 7th. If he hits 4th only half of those 6 would be on base:)

• David

In fairness, looking at Doug’s recap of Zach Wheeler’s success against right handers, this may be one day where David Bell’s Strategery works.

Or not. Right hander India leads off, and right hander CES is batting up higher, with a worse start to the year than Steer.
        I think CES will have a fine year, but he is not that hot right now. Play the hot hand.

• Ozzie

I would understand it if he had a mediocre season last year, but he’s doing exactly what he did last year. Super consistent, rarely strikes out, hits to all fields. He’s the guy I want up with guys on base. And I want him to get more AB’s than others. He also doesn’t seem like a guy that would crack under the pressure of being in the three hole. He’s ready to be that guy.

• Rick

I agree.
        He also seems like a low keyed, team first guy that would not complain if he gets jerked around like batting #7.
        Finally Benson gets bumped up rightly so vs righties & Steer gets bumped lower.

• CI3J

If I were making the lineup using these players, I’d probably go:

2B India
        CF Benson
        LF Steer
        RF Fraley
        SS EDLC
        1B CES
        3B Candy
        DH Martini
        C TySteve

I know Candy is their big, expensive acquisition, so he has to hit high in the lineup, but it shouldn’t be based on monetary value.

Also, I wonder if Bell thinks CES HAS to hit 3rd simply because he’s the 1B?

• David

CI3J, like your lineup.

I think that reflects the way to line these guys up against Wheeler.

Well you see, this way he’s the second three whole hitter….no wait. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• greenmtred

Steer and Martini lead the team in rbi’s, so clearly the lower part of the order gets chances to produce runs. Maybe Bell likes a lineup that is difficult for opposing pitchers top to bottom. Not illogical.

• CI3J

You want your best hitters hitting higher in the lineup to give them more ABs. This is common sense in baseball.

What? You lost me on that one big guy. ๐Ÿ™‚

• greenmtred

That’s true, C13J. That is apparently the only permutation of batting order that can be statistically verified to make a difference, though my memory is that the difference is not large.

• CI3J

GMR, the difference is pretty large over the course of a season.

In the most recent study I can find, here are the average number of ABs based on where you hit in the batting order:

1st – 762
        2nd – 743
        3rd – 725
        4th – 709
        5th – 693
        6th – 675
        7th – 657
        8th – 638
        9th – 618

The difference between hitting 3rd and 7th is 68 ABs. In a game of inches where every minor advantage matters, why wouldn’t you want one of your best hitters taking those additional 68 ABs? Any one of them could be the difference between winning or losing a game.

• greenmtred

Thanks, C13J. That’s a bigger difference than I would have expected.

• BK

• greenmtred

That’s also a good point. It’ll be interesting to see how much the lineup changes over the course of the season. Maybe Steer will move up: he did hit higher in the order last year, so maybe it is connected to EDLC.

• greenmtred

It occurs to me that the calculation of the relative impact of batting 3rd or 7th needs to include the BA or OBP of the two places: the 68 extra AB’s won’t all result in hits. For the sake of argument, if the guy batting 3rd has an OBP of .350 and the guy batting 7th has an OBP of .300, switching the two guys doesn’t result in many extra times on base. But, to C13J’s point, it does result in some, any of which could make a difference in a game.

• MBS

@BK, that’s a good point, I’d like (4)EDLC sandwiched between (3)CES, and (5)Steer eventually. I don’t think EDLC is there yet in his game, so another option would be between (5)Steer (6) EDLC (7)Stephenson.

Either way, Steer is likely to move up the order soon.

• Melvin

“I agree with your point. However, I suspect Steer is down in the order in an attempt to protect EDLC.”

If that’s the reason I don’t understand it. Taking your (arguably) your best all around hitter and batting him 7th just to protect someone does NOT make sense to me. It would make more sense to do a Dusty thing and take your worst hitter and bat him 2nd so he would get better pitches to hit in front of Votto. That didn’t make sense to me either but at least you kept your best hitter in the correct spot. This logic is way over my head I guess. lol It might make a little sense to take a decent hitter and bat him 7th behind EDLC but NOT your best hitter. This lineup is full of decent hitters to do that. Maybe EDLC should bat 9th?

3. VaRedsFan

We can all explain how it happened. We just can’t explain why.

4. Bet on Red

So first there was the slam wars…. then there was the Harper strikes back,…. are we going to see a return of the Eli tonight?

• David

The Book of Eli. The league’s pitchers seem to have read that one on EDLC.

But he has a lot of growth to take place as an ML hitter.

• Frankie Tomatoes

I looked at the radar too and I don’t think they will play. There is a window of no rain later for a few hours but that window comes after about 20 hours of rain. I am not there but that outfield has to be a lake by now. I will check back after dinner and hope to be surprised!

5. Doug Gray

6. redsfansince62

Many of you probably have not noticed that I am new to your message board. Thank you to those that welcomed me. I really do look forward to commenting/discussing games and issues on this comment board this year and for many years into the future.

All of your comments regarding Steer’s position in the lineup are good points. I am always hesitant to criticize a person when I do not or have ever held such a position. However, there is usually the other side of the coin.

I can say in support of Bell is that I do 100% approve of his aggressive baserunning last year and thus far this year. This must come from him directly, but honestly, if it didn’t, I would hope/expect that someone in the front office would suggest to him that he needs to do this, and he likely would.

Overall, in my opinion, the example with Steer placed lower in the lineup, is a mistake. There seem to be too many of these ‘mistakes’ and I agree that these mistakes add up to lost games. For example, as you know, we missed the playoffs by two games last year. The manager must use every strategy possible to win every game. That could make the difference and land us in the playoffs.

In summary, Bell has a whole lot of things going on pregame and during the game that I may not understand. However, basic things like where Steer bats in the lineup do matter and must be nailed. There are other situations that have occurred in the past that are in this general category of concern.

• Mark Moore

Welcome to the party!!! You’ll find a wide range of opinions, insight, and even rants here. If you follow closely enough, you’ll easily identify the cadre of “old farts” that have been around this forum for quite some time.

BTW, we were in a “soft agreement” on the use of a sARcasM FonT this season when warranted … ๐Ÿ˜‰

• LarkinPhillips

i NeVeR aGrEed tO tHiS FonT!

• LarkinPhillips

Welcome to the site.. Are you an A.I. bot with all the proper spelling, punctuation, and thoughtful sentences??

To your point, like most things in life, there is a large gray area where Bell does somethings “right” and somethings that we may disagree with. I am a self proclaimed Bell hater and there has been several times where I have “ate crow” for criticisms, sometimes almost immediately. However, both sides of that are what makes it fun being a Reds fan and makes this community such a fun group to be a part of.

Let’s win a game and a series tonight! Go Reds!

• Dennis Westrick

Welcome to the club redsfansince62! I got you beat by one year as I became a Reds fan in 1961, the year they lost the WS to the Yankees! We don’t bite but sometimes post biting comments!

• wkuchad

Welcome to RLN!

To me, it’s no issue that Steer is batting 7th, for two reasons:

1) I care way more about who’s playing versus where they’re hitting, but this is a minor point. More importantly…

2) At this point, 2024 stats are way too small of a sample size to set a lineup. Looking at 2023, Steer is almost perfectly placed versus a righty starter. The following Reds players were better than Steer in 2023 versus a righty: Benson, CES, Fraley, EDLC, and India.

I’m not sure about Candy, but based on 2023, Steer is in the correct position.

Now, he crushed lefties last year, which is why he’s a lot higher in the order against lefty starters.

• Melvin

I understand your points. However I just did a quick check of the last three games Steer hit 7th. He had three hits last night and two hits the previous two games each for a total of seven. He’s obviously seeing the ball well which is extremely important. So far this year his line reads .474/.524/.737/1.261 Anyway, let’s just win no matter who hits where. That’s all that really matters.

• wkuchad

You’re correct Melvin, he’s been hot to start the year. But that’s going to happen over a few games / a few weeks with all players. I’m not sure Bell should constantly change the lineup order for the “hot hand”.

• Melvin

” Iโ€™m not sure Bell should constantly change the lineup order for the โ€œhot handโ€.”

I don’t know. When someone is that hot it could make a difference between winning and losing. I’m a big proponent of momentum. Everything matters in every game. We missed the playoffs by two games last year. Let’s just win. It cures everything. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Oldtimer

If desired, Espinal can play SS and ELDC play 3B or DH. He was All-Star INF with Blue Jays a couple years ago.

8. TR

An early morning flight to Cincy and a rest up day on Thursday before taking on the Mets.

9. Jim t

Batting Steer behind EDLC could be as simple as wanting to protect EDLC.

10. redsfansince62

I just saw on fox29.com, a Philly website, that the game is scheduled to start at 8pm.

11. AllTheHype

Sure is nice not having to sweat out a start by Weaver, or Cessa, or Overton, or Kennedy etc. We’ve come a long way when we pitch Ashcraft at 5 then hand it back to Montas.

Here’s hoping we see this group all year + Lodolo.

12. Rednat

I think the starting pitching is there to compete.
    The bullpen is going to be as good as the hitting/offense is. What I mean by that is if they continually enter in these dramatic games in the 5th and 6th innings in 2-1 or 2-2 game. Having to cover 3-4 innings or more holding their breath to see if the offense can score a run, they are going to wear down quickly.
    If the reds can get some leads early, ( like opening day) and add on late, I actually think the bullpen can be pretty decent this year

13. Melvin

Looks like Bally gave up on the Reds on Fubo tonight and showing poker now. lol At least in Indy here.

14. Grover

Game is being played but Bally’s can’t get their act together and show it.

15. Dennis Westrick

I know it was only the 1st inning but what’s wrong with bunting into scoring position your leadoff hitter after a single?? Nothing wrong grabbing an early lead. And, again, 2 of the first 3 outs were SO’s! May be time for an eye test for Reds hitters!

• VaRedsFan

Bunting is a no-no, especially early in the game.
      I want Benson swinging the bat vs a righty.
      I’ve never seen him attempt a bunt.

16. Melvin

Woops. I stand corrected. Bally nixed poker for tonight and put the game back on. Cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Melvin

I don’t believe it. They just put poker back on. They’re all mixed up.

• Melvin

Game back on a different Bally channel now. lol Just trying to help others who might be having the same problem.

17. Dennis Westrick

On pace for another double digit SO night for the Reds “hitters”! I know pitchers are usually ahead of the hitters early in the season but this is bordering on the ridiculous!

• Brian Rutherford

The Reds “hitters” are 10th in MLB with 6.0 runs per game

18. Mark Moore

Major case of the pop-up swirlies going on tonight.

And the Chumpire completely BLOWS the call and gives him a BB instead.

19. VaRedsFan

Wind is brutal.
    Extra out for Philly as the windblown foul drops.

20. Grover

Ok, haven’t hardly watched the Reds this year because of busy schedule and now the Bally app won’t show them. I’ll check the box score tomorrow and go to bed.

• Melvin

If you haven’t already check all of your Bally channels.

21. Mark Moore

The inning righted it self thanks to the TOOTBLAN by Castellanos. ๐Ÿ˜€

22. Mark Moore

I’ll see how long I can deal with Sadak tonight. The WLW overlay is always behind now. You’d think they could sync it better given the technology at their disposal … but what do I know having spent only 40 years of my career in the field.

• Mark Moore

Thanks, Melvin. I’ll be here a while (not “all night” given the later start).

23. RedsMonk65

CES with the 2-run double! Huge against a pitcher like Wheeler.

24. Mark Moore

Great patience by CES. Even Benson moving them up contributed and ensured India would score.

25. Melvin

I hope Montas keeps on pitching like this. Can’t complain about our starting pitchers. I do hope if possible our manager lets them go six innings on average. It would make a world of difference.

• Dennis Westrick

Agree, completely! I would like to see Montas and all of the Reds SPs pitch into the 6th inning, even this early in the season!

• Jim t

Melvin they are on a 100 pitch limit. This is pretty much a standard in todays game.

• Melvin

Okay. Maybe give them a shot more times if they’re under the magical number of a 100. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Mark Moore

In the lower leagues, many of them are getting dropped to a 75-80 pitch limit. That’s likely going to catch up to MLB at some point. Far cry from the 125-140 we saw from a bygone era.

• Melvin

I heard the Comish was thinking about lowering the pitching roster spots to 12 in order to promote starters going longer. At least that’s what I heard last year.

26. Brian Rutherford

CES is for real. A 2 out hit against one of the best in the league. Wow.

I would like to see Steer hit higher in the lineup as others have said but I also like players knowing where they are hitting every game and the Reds have been consistent with their lineup against rhp. It has been working well so far so there is an argument for if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

27. Mark Moore

Swinging bunt … just kind of died there and nothing Candy could do but stick it in his pocket.

28. Indy Red Man

What was the guys name last year that posted pages full of gibberish on why CES should sit in the minors? Must’ve got banned? That dude was going to ride or die with that argument…lol

29. Mark Moore

Frankie knuckled down and kept them in check. I like that. I’m hoping he has a complete ace-like season even if it means he’s one-and-done for us.

• JB

They have a mutual option of 20 mil. Although I’m thinking Montas has a good year he will look for more money.

• Mark Moore

I knew there was an option of some kind. It was a smart thing to do. If he benefits from it, more power to him.

30. VaRedsFan

Note to other Red’s pitchers….

It’s OK to throw a strike on 1-2, like Montas just did to Schwarber.

• Mark Moore

I need to pull my copy of the simple book “Mr. Mahle Won’t Throw Strikes” down off the shelf … ๐Ÿ˜‰

31. JB

I’m not sure EDLC could have done anything with that pitch. That was just a great pitch by Wheeler

32. Mark Moore

WOW!!! Even JT had trouble with that one … ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

33. Dennis Westrick

Again, not to beat a dead horse, why not have EDLC bunt after Fraley got on 1st?

• Melvin

it’s obviously a pitchers dual so runs will be hard to come by. Might be a good time to bunt runners over.

34. Mark Moore

I’m wondering if PHL and CVG will be open after the game for the boyz to fly back home for their off day.

• Melvin

I’m sure they’d rather spend a day in Florida with this weather. Not exactly close to New York where they’re headed next though. ๐Ÿ™‚

35. Mark Moore

Nice inning and good pitch count for Frankie. He seems to be comfortable doing what he does … and it’s working so far tonight.

Would love an add-on or three.

• Melvin

I think he’s only walked one batter in two games so far. You probably love him. ๐Ÿ˜€

• JB

Yep. He won’t ever be called the nibbler

• AllTheHype

Def keeps his pitch count in check, which is kinda not what Reds starters are known for!

• JB

Melvin- Bell doesn’t allow pencils in the dugout.

• Melvin

“Melvin- Bell doesnโ€™t allow pencils in the dugout.”

Haha ๐Ÿ˜€

• VaRedsFan

DJ saying he will take care of that by June, once Montas gets to that chapter in his book.

• AllTheHype

The difference is a couple things I think. First, Montas just never stops attacking the zone. 0-2, 1-2, doesn’t matter, he’s still attacking the edges of the zone. And he has the command to do it. He also has the good third pitch. His split is effective.

Greene for instance is lacking in command just a bit (in comparison to Montas) and also lacking that third effective pitch. The result is Greene can’t get the quick outs unless he’s really on, and his pitch count runs up.

It all goes back to stuff and command though.

• Melvin

David Bell picked the correct opening day starter. I give him credit for that.

• VaRedsFan

11 game hit streak.
      His BABIP must be about .800 ๐Ÿ™‚

“11 game hit streak.”

That’s positive.

36. Mark Moore

That’ll play with 2 outs in the 6th. Frankie will like that little extra cushion.

37. Indy Red Man

Frankie goes to Hollywood…in 2025. Dodgers 4 yrs $135 mil so I’m going to enjoy this year

• AllTheHype

Wish we had squeezed a club option out of that deal, instead of the mutual one.

• MBS

I hope he has a year that will generate that kinda contract.

38. Mark Moore

That #3 run may prove to be rather important. Frankie didn’t fool Kyle one bit.

• Melvin

Yeah. Don’t take him out yet though. Give him a chance.

39. RedsMonk65

Schwarber smokes one. Hate that guy. Respect him, but also hate him. Hopefully, that’s an aberration. No more runs allowed, please.

40. Mark Moore

Nice grab by TySteve to hold the runner. Need this guy to go down without any more trouble.

41. Mark Moore

BTW, I’m still on the TV audio feed. Sadak doesn’t seem to be nearly as over the top as he usually is.

• Melvin

He does seem to be more calm now that you mention it. Good for him….and the rest of us. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Mark Moore

2nd start of the season and a cold night … it kind of looks like the tank is empty.

• JB

Definitely on a very cold damp night. Guy is a horse though.

• Melvin

Yeah. He’s probably tired. Not easy pitching in this kind of weather anyway.

42. Mark Moore

I can’t look … away … ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

OK, Mr. Wilson. Finish this one.

43. RedsGettingBetter

I think Montas shouldn’t have pitched to Castellanos

44. Mark Moore

Very nice work out of the jam! Preserves the W possibility for Frankie.

45. RedlegScott

(I wonder if Montas could teach a pitch or two to H. Greene?)

46. Mark Moore

Lost his footing and grip on the 3rd ball. Carried over to ball 4. Now bear down and get Turner.

47. DaveCT

Watch Soto. He drags his pitching hand across his back picket in his windup. Sticky stuff?

• Mark Moore

Was looking like the wrist. Espinal looking like a VERY good pick-up by Bull Krall.

• Melvin

Hope he doesn’t go down. If so might have to move Steer back to the infield and bring up a young stud.

48. Kurt Frost

They definitely should have traded India in the offseason.

Sarcasm

• Mark Moore

KinDLy uSE thE ApPRoveD SarCASm FONt … ๐Ÿ˜€

49. TJ

Big question now….does Cruz come back out for the 9th after throwing 8-9 pitches? I would like to see it

50. VaRedsFan

OK…Diaz isn’t back until he does it twice in a row.
    Here’s hoping he’s back.

51. Mark Moore

Nice inning from Cruz. Would REALLY love to see an add-on here. I’m a little surprised this game has moved so quickly and it’s only quarter after 10.

52. bug

I hope I’m wrong to worry,..but I still don’t trust Diaz to finish this one out. Anyone else, I’d trust. Please prove me wrong, Diaz! Maybe Bell will not bring him in? Then maybe he’ll be the old Diaz. We’ll know soon enough.

• bug

That’s more like it!!! I don’t care as much about your speed. Just throw strikes. Please and thank you.

53. RedlegScott

Very tempting to let Cruz go again with that effort and low pitch count, but I’m guessing that ain’t gonna happen.

54. Tom Mitsoff

Sims-Cruz-Diaz might be your late-inning sequence for at least the near future.

• RedlegScott

Not too likely with three righties, Tom. Moll, and perhaps Young, might find time in that mix.

55. Mark Moore

So we get robbed of a game on Friday thanks to the financially motivated MLB-Apple arrangement??? What a load of KRAP!!

56. AllTheHype

Steer going oppo with authority again. Love it. Professional hitter.

57. JB

Why take Steer out? He isn’t capable to run home from 3rd?

58. Melvin

Got to make contact and get this run home Mr. Martini…..and he does. ๐Ÿ™‚

59. Mark Moore

Big add-on there. Love the aggressive turn to 3rd by Steer especially given Castellanos was basically playing pinball or hackey-sack out there.

• Mark Moore

That he has. He’s a brutal fielder in general, so playing in this Scottish mist doesn’t help.

60. Pharmer85

Hope Diaz can nail this down. Cruz was really dealing.

61. Mark Moore

A sticky stuff huddle before the inning starts? And no ejection? They’re showing a clip from the other day when he got an extended look by the Chumpire.

And what in the HECK was that pitch call???

• VaRedsFan

Closers are checked before the inning, because after the inning what’s the point.
      Shouldn’t take 4 umps to check him though

• Mark Moore

It’s the huddle of all 4 of them that’s making the buzz. Add to that the extended check coming off the field his last time and you have to wonder what’s up.

62. Ozzie

Controversy over whether Diaz has a sticky substance on his hand. Hmm…

63. Mark Moore

Merrifield just out-dueled him on that one and snuck in a flare.

64. RedsMonk65

Nice game all-around (in nasty weather for the second night in a row), especially by the pitching staff. Back home to take on the Mets and Brewers. Keep piling up those series wins!

65. RedlegScott

How is Diaz getting it done with a 90-92 mph fastball? Glad it’s somehow working.
    Great game, Reds! Clutch hitting and outstanding pitching.

66. Mark Moore

Don’t look now, but we’re 4-2 and won the first two series out of the gate. Feels pretty good to me.

And I made it the whole game with Sadak at the mic … ๐Ÿ˜€

Night all!

67. RedsGettingBetter

A Very very huge win against a extremly tough Philly team. The Reds capitalized the chances and had a brilliant pitching tonight

68. VaRedsFan

Hard fought win.
    Kudos to Montas and the pitchers tonight!

Diaz still not quite right to me, but at least he didn’t walk anybody.
    Fastball at 91-93 looks hittable.
    Mission accomplished though!

69. LT

Well played game by the good guys. Frankie is earning his paycheck. Opportunistic offense. Bullpen held up. Need W to keep up with those Bucos

70. Melvin