The Cincinnati Reds (59-91) will play the second game of a four-game series at Great American Ballpark against the Milwaukee Brewers (80-70) tonight at 6:40 PM. The Brewers enter play 2.5 games out of the final NL wild card spot with 12 games to play (plus they lose the head-to-head tie-breaker with the Phillies). The Reds need four more wins this season to avoid 100 losses.

Starting Pitchers

Luis Cessa (RHP) has pitched fairly well for the Reds as a starter. He has a 3.55 ERA/4.89 FIP in his last 5 starts. He has only walked 5 batters in 25.1 innings. Tonight he will be starting on short notice, but still on plenty of rest as he hasn’t pitched since Sunday. Cessa has a career 5.41 ERA against the Brewers, but that is only over 7.0 total innings.

Eric Lauer (LHP) will be activated today off the IL, and he is making his first start since September 10th (elbow). He did not go on a rehab assignment. Lauer has a 4.01 career ERA in 9 starts against the Reds.

Starting Lineups

The Reds have been a fairly average team against left-handed pitching since the trade deadline. The Reds have a .312 wOBA vs LHP since August 2nd (MLB average is .310). Ballpark Pal says that Kyle Farmer is the Reds best matchup against LauerSpencer Steer is another player to watch. He has hit .315/.398/.577 at all levels this season against LHP.

News and Notes

Donovan Solano is out of the lineup dealing with an eye infection.

-Doug covered the news of Connor Overton being activated and Mike Minor placed on the IL earlier today. Overton has a 2.45 ERA in 125.1 IP between MLB/AAA since the start of last season. His FIP at the four stops has been 3.14, 3.89, 3.70 and 3.15 (the 3.15 is in 4 starts with the Reds this season). It will be interesting to see how he is used, and how he finishes this season for the Reds.

Conclusion

How about the Redlegs knock the Brewers out of the playoffs and avoid losing 100 games? I think that Spencer Steer is going to have a big night for the good guys. Go Reds!

1. RedsGettingBetter

Solano has the same desease that affected Steer few days ago… He is a lefties killer so will be missed at some point tonight… The lineup seems to me very weak against Lauer, I hope i’ll be wrong…

2. Mark Moore

Tough break for Donnie Barrels. Seemed he was just starting to heat up a bit. Good to see Steer back in the line-up, though I’d have thought he’d be at 3B and Reynolds at 1B. Was hoping we’d see Siani back in there tonight.

Let’s get one of the four we need to avoid the dreaded triple digit loss number. Helping kick the Bernies to the curb is just a side benefit.

3. Mark Moore

Wow! Talk about manufacturing some runs. Nice job by all three. If Lauer isn’t going to be sharp, we need to take advantage of that and chase him early. They are playing for their very lives. We’re already looking like we’re having fun.

4. Mark Moore

Finally walked him. The really positive result is the pitch count climbed a couple more. Counsel didn’t look happy with what he’s seeing.

5. Mark Moore

39 pitches and we get 2 runs. I’m happy with that result.

Keep on Kicking Bernie!

• Harry Stoner

Wong.
      McCutchen.
      I’d be head hunting just because.

I remember McCutchen whining in the middle of the Pirates / Reds hbp war …after Votto had been hit multiple times and Geno sent to the DL…that he couldn’t believe they were throwing at him because he was the MVP!

Drysdale / Marichal / Gibson / Ryan would have been sending some chin music his way in a heartbeat.

6. VaRedsFan

Barrero got a cookie right down the middle…but missed it.
    I don’t mind the green light.
    If the game mattered I would have him taking.

7. Mark Moore

I need to go for my walk, but I really don’t want to step away tonight.

8. RedsGettingBetter

A lot of walks , Cessa could be paying for that…

9. Dennis Westrick

For the Love of Pete (Rose), STOP with the walks! 4 walks in 3 innings! Enough already!

• Melvin

Hahaha You need to calm down big guy. Unfortunately walking a lot of batters are a big part of this team this year. It may be the single biggest reason, and there are a lot of them, for most likely 100 losses or more. Drives you crazy doesn’t it? 🙂

10. Harry Stoner

Fairchild’s OPS is a .919 right now.

Bell has moved him to #5 in the order.

A sign that he is paying attention after all.

11. Mark Moore

Didn’t really expect Lauer to get the hook that quickly. Time for some Bernie Bullpen Roulette 😀

12. Mark Moore

OK, time for my walk. Somebody hold my spot, please.

13. Harry Stoner

Barrero gets two strikes on himself faster than any batter I can recall.

He seems to be always in a hole.

Why isn’t this correctable with some good advice / coaching?

• Dennis Westrick

Why you ask? Because there is currently no on on this Reds staff to give good advice or coach young, struggling players!

• VaRedsFan

That shows me he is up there guessing. He’s taking pitches right down the middle many times

• Harry Stoner

He’s got to be as good a bet as any Minor / Dugger / Anderson / Zuech dumpster dive / overpaid FA / reclamation deal.

14. Indy Red Man

Evidently Fairchild has decided to quit making outs! Don’t know if it was a rope or a dribbler, but he’s shown power and he takes walks too. He should be penciled in as a starter next April

• TR

It seems to me that Fairchild is the natural successor to Winker and Pham in leftfield for 2023.

15. DataDumpster

Looks like maybe Barrero has been watching Aquino. Three quick swings about 6 inches above each ball and gone. How can MLB players be so lame? I don’t understand how some hitters and pitchers never seem to get out of bad habits. Seems like a lack of coaching and discipline rather than talent in most cases. Well, at least David Bell will offer more encouragement.

16. Mark Moore

So, some flukey play we challenged and still gave up a run?

17. Kevin H

I am still amazed at how mbl hitters can hit a baseball. Coming in at 95mph or faster, then adjust and hit a 80 mph slider or change up. The hand eye coordination of these players is phenomenal.

Hitting is harder than it appears on tv. Pitching as well as fielding. Mlb players r the best of the best.

• Mark Moore

+1,000

True that. And even our MLB club is better than all but the most elite AAA club. It’s a very hard game at this level. But players can learn and improve with the right coaching and approach. I still believe we’re lacking on that front.

18. Mark Moore

Nice to finally see a HP Chumpire with such excellent command of the strike zone (hard eye roll)

19. Mark Moore

I really don’t like Kolten Wong. I mean almost to the same degree as The Neck Tattoo don’t like him.

• Mark Moore

And I’ve always respected Cutch … but definitely not tonight.

• Harry Stoner

Good on you for that.

He’s a whiner in my book.

A crybaby who belonged on the St Louis Curds.

20. Kevin H

First 2 runs Farmer has given up all month. 1 run in August.

He has really solidified a role foe next season

21. Mark Moore

Friedl looking to cream one pops it up instead.

Then again, as Kevin said, baseball is a hard game.

22. Mark Moore

I’m currently paying more attention to my Syracuse Orange trying to stay ahead of Virginia. Down to the 4th quarter there.

And I see DTBell is waving the white flag by bringing in Strickland.

23. Mark Moore

Didn’t I suggest we just plunk Wong earlier? Same result after all.

24. Jim Walker

Just about every time the Reds are backed into a corner where they have to give Fairchild a chance, he makes good but he never seems to move up in the pecking order???

• Jim Walker

Hey gals and guys, this was me using a different device and I fat fingered my email or some such. sorry.

25. Harry Stoner

If there’s anyone who’s looking forward to the end of season, it’s got to be Jose Barerro.

That’s the only way this torture is ever going to stop.

26. Dennis Westrick

Only 8 more losses ’til that magic 100 loss number!

27. RedsGettingBetter

Starting to think the Reds really are gonna lose 100 or more because I noting it seems it doesn´t matter to anybody in the team, it just related to end the season no matter if it is a win or a loss… Barrero is pathetic and while he is playing the team loses… The lineup is so vulnerable with Aquino, Barrero , Romine/Robinson and India who is struggling a bit too…
    The only way to win a game counting on that offense is the pitching throwing a gem so hoping a 1-0 or 2-1, max 3-2 score…