Michael Siani gets his first big league action tonight, starting for the Cincinnati Reds in center and batting 8th in the lineup. The Reds will open up a 4-game series with the Brewers tonight and will hand the ball to Hunter Greene. Milwaukee will counter by sending ace Brandon Woodruff to the mound as they fight for one of the wild card spots down the stretch. First pitch is set for 6:40pm ET.

Starting Lineups

Here’s the lineup for this evening’s contest:

Milwaukee Brewers

Starting Pitchers

Pitcher IP ERA WHIP BB K
Hunter Greene 108.2 4.97 1.26 41 138
Brandon Woodruff 135.1 3.26 1.10 38 162
Links: Hunter Greene’s Stats | Brandon Woodruff’s Stats

Hunter Greene

Over his last two starts Hunter Greene has struck out 19 batters without walking anyone in 12.0 shutout innings where he’s given up just five hits. The rookie right-hander will look to build upon that in his fourth start against the Brewers this season.

This season, Greene has been better away from Cincinnati with an ERA of 4.62 versus an ERA at home of 5.40. When it comes to his splits versus lefties and righties things are also a bit different. Right-handed hitters make more contact, hit for a higher average, and show a bit more power than lefties do. Lefties walk more often, and they strike out a lot more against Greene, but they don’t get hits as frequently and they hit for a bit less power.

Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 231 52 9 0 13 17 62 .250 .316 .481
LHH 232 44 10 0 10 24 76 .217 .306 .414

Pitch Usage

4-Seam Slider Change
Velo 98.8 88.0 89.8
Usage 53.2% 41.7% 5.1%

Brandon Woodruff

The season began with a very rough outing for Brandon Woodruff and his ERA has been trying to recover since. He missed a month early in the year, but since returning on June 28th he’s made 15 starts and posted a 2.55 ERA. He has pitched much worse on the road this season, posting an ERA of 4.33 in 13 starts (it’s 2.16 at home) and batters have a 170 point advantage in OPS on the road against Woodruff.

When it comes to lefties and righties, Woodruff has reverse splits in 2022. Lefties are hitting just .197 while striking out a lot more often and hitting for a lot less power than righties are. Right-handed hitters aren’t exactly hitting well against him, but they aren’t outright terrible, either, posting a .717 OPS against him.

Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 300 65 12 0 12 21 76 .239 .302 .415
LHH 252 46 16 1 4 17 86 .197 .255 .326

Pitch Usage

4-Seam 2-Seam Slider Change Curve
Velo 96.3 95.8 88.1 86.2 84.1
Usage 38.1% 22.4% 10.8% 15.9% 12.9%

When and Where

• Game time: 6:40pm ET
  • Where: Great American Ball Park
  • Watch: Bally Sports Ohio, MLB.tv
  • Listen: 700 WLW AM (Cincinnati area)
  • Forecast: 65°, sunny, 0% chance of rain

News and Notes

In case you missed Joey being Joey

1. Mark Moore

Alright, Alright, Alright …

Let’s stick it to Bernie!

2. Pete

Joey Votto is the coolest Red ever. Now he will forever go down as my favorite right now. What a great guy!

3. Old-school

Is Spencer Steer hurt? He was in the lineup originally posted yesterday and then didn’t play and not playing today either

4. VaRedsFan

Siani with the MLB debut.
    Hopefully he can hit the ground running.

• Doc

I’d rather he hit the ball and take off running! Wishing him a memorable debut, and opportunities to follow it up.

• Mark Moore

I see what you did there … 😀

5. Old-school

Great inning by Greene. Punch outs on Adames and Tellez.

6. Bdh

Idc how bad Barrero has struggled there is no reason the rest of this season that Reynolds should be starting over him whether it’s at short or at 3rd pushing Farmer to short

• Melvin

Yeah. I don’t know why Reynolds is playing either at this point.

7. JayTheRed

So impressive just another reason I love this guy as a player. Yes, he might be at the end of his career but what a nice career he had. Just a class guy mingling with the fans at the stadium. Love seeing this kind of thing.

8. Bet on Red

lopez with a hit…. again… third day in a row in the lineup

• 2020ball

He earned his playing time, glad to see him in there consistently finally

9. Old-school

Brewers had a nice run with some good young pitching in Woodruff,Burnes,Peralta and dominant bullpen and targeted acquisitions in Adames and Tellez and Wong to add to franchise guy Yellich.

Like to see Reds go all in on pitching and defense this off-season. Surest way to get back to competitive. Grab a good vet lefty starter for 2 years to add to the Big 3 and some legit bullpen spending multi year to add to Diaz and prioritize defense. Offense can be added in as the prospects develop and sort themselves and then 2024 is FA hitters by need and position

10. Mark Moore

I’m thinking it’s about time for my walk … nothing much to see here so far.

11. Mark Moore

I know the pitcher is NEVER supposed to take a pop-up, but Greene was tracking that. Reynolds made it look like a difficult play 😮

• 2020ball

Greene kinda just stood in his way though, thats the thirdbasemens ball all the way IMO

• Melvin

Normally I would say yes definitely. Greene is an infielder though (SS) and was right there to make the easiest play. I bet it was very hard for him to back away knowing it would be so easy for him.

• Mark Moore

Yeah … Greene should know to get out of the way. I’m with you on that. It probably contributed to what we saw.

• VaRedsFan

I know it’s the “book” play. But it is one of the stupidest ones. Who has the easiest play? The 3rd baseman running full speed, or the pitcher standing right there, waiting for it to come down?

• 2020ball

It’s a game of angles, those high pop-ups right above you are not easy plays, I’d much rather be running in for it.

• Melvin

I guess it depends on how easy it is and how high the ball is. If the third basemen has to sprint at full speed to barely get there and the pitcher is already standing there…..

• 2020ball

Yeah, the shift can complicate things for sure. good discussion either way

12. Mark Moore

Chumpire really screwed him over on that first strike. 8 inches wide.

13. Mark Moore

Walk time – I’ll be back. Melvin, hold my spot, will you?

14. Kevin H

Is Greene throwing his Change up this evening? Gameday just showed a 91mph change up? is this accurate?

15. Old-school

Give Greene credit. Not sharp, not pitch efficient but battling and keeping reds in the game through 4. Mahle used to do this.

16. VaRedsFan

Woodruff’s strikeout prop tonight was 7.5.
    I was able to cash that over, with the 1st out in the 4th.

17. Old-school

It’s absurd the Brewers haven’t signed woodruff and Burnes to long term contracts.

• Mark Moore

Mistake in the first inning giving up the BB before the HR. Battling a little bit, but he’s managing.

18. Dennis Westrick

Always, always, always a walk before a HR allowed by a Reds pitcher! To add insult to injury, a former Dirty Bird (Cardinal) and Reds nemesis Kolten Wong, hits the HR. Good to see Greene back on the mound nonetheless!

• Kevin H

I am one for pushing the fences back at GABP. Evening if a little, as cheap homeruns happen alot. Wong’s wasn’t one of them though lol..

Yes, I agree Greene looks good minus the walks lol

19. 2020ball

Off to the store for dinner items, hope the games still close when I get back

20. Mark Moore

I’m back. Shorter version tonight since I did 3.3 this morning.

I see Siani K’d for the 2nd time. I believe that makes him a bum and worthy of being sent back down, right? (sarcasm font).

Thanks, Melvin, for keeping my place in line.

• Old-school

First at bat was really good…extended AB

Overmatched #2

• Kevin H

Welcome to the big leagues. Woodruff is dealing this evening.

Siani was in same draft class as India. 2018..

• Doc

Tough break for Siani to make debut against Woodruff.

21. Mark Moore

At least we got that mandatory BB out of the way. Now Moreta can bear down.

22. Melvin

Any/every time you see a player make his ML debut and then see his family there and listen to them during the game is a pretty cool thing. It’s a dream come true that most don’t get to realize. Special.

23. Mark Moore

A second dinger to Wong? Really? And after the mandatory BB first? Come on!

Going to be hard to stick this one out. Maybe to watch Siani get his first MLB hit …

• VaRedsFan

There’s only a few games left in the season….where else you gonna go?

• Mark Moore

Yep. Slid it over the fence. And JUST over at that.

• Kevin H

Why I wish they would move fences back. Has to mess with a pitchers psyche

• Doc

I miss Crosley with its terraced warning track and higher walls. Dead ball didn’t hurt either.

24. Mark Moore

Didn’t we just see that skit in front of the mound? What are these guys thinking tonight?

25. Kevin H

What stinks about this and some other games Greene has pitched. He leaves a game only giving 1 or 2 runs and bullpen implodes and allows more runs and Reds end up losing. I know of 2 games maybe 3 where Greene was the hard luck losing pitching.

I do believe wins and losses are a useless stat by a starting pitcher, or any pitcher I suppose.

• Doc

I think Verlander’s 17-3 record entering tonight is not a useless stat. It’s a measure of his dominance.

26. Dennis Westrick

Wong again with a HR and, wait for it, a batter was walked by a Reds pitcher before the HR! Gets old!

• Dennis Westrick

Wall scraper or upper deck shot, it still shows up as a HR in the box score at the end of the game!

• Melvin

If you don’t like walks then the Reds are a very hard team to root for especially for you Dennis. haha They’re right up there near the top in that category for sure.

• Dennis Westrick

Been a Reds fan since 1961, yes, 1961, so, yes, I’m old but I have seen a lot in my 69 years! This year has been tough season to follow the Cincy MLB team and the Bungles (aka the Bengals) are not helping on the NFL side!

27. RedsGettingBetter

Typical of a very horrible Reds season… Kolten Wong hitting 2 homers in the same game and Brewers winning 4-0 on just 3 hits in 6 innings…

28. Mark Moore

Nice stroke by Farm Dawg to get one back. This should be it for Woodruff. And we know that Bernie Bullpen ain’t all that.

• Joe Henry

Kyle currently leads the team in BA, HR,RBI,OBP and hits. Granted, this is a hitting starved team at this point in the season, but based on the current roster what better 3rd base, SS option do we have for next season? The guy has good fundamentals and has been the least injured infielder over the last two seasons. I say give him another 1-2 year contract at 5+ mil.

29. VaRedsFan

No K’s that inning, as Woodruff falls off of record pace.

30. Kevin H

@Dennis, you make me laugh and I mean that. It is indeed hard being a cincy fan. Bengals indeed aren’t helping lmao

• Dennis Westrick

To further compound my misery Kevin, I have a MS in Engineering from that little Irish Catholic university in northern Indiana called Notre Dame! Not a good start to ND football either! Maybe I should start rooting for an English soccer team!

• Kevin H

I think Lopez deserve a roster spot next season. I have seen enough. He is a solid hitter. Question though what position? 2nd and 3rd?

31. Mark Moore

OK, that’s officially a Clete for me. Nothing more to see tonight.

Catch you all tomorrow.

32. Dennis Westrick

Good News campers! Kolten Wong will probably not get another AB tonight!

• Dennis Westrick

Agree with one exception! Greene threw 91 pitches in 5 innings with 3 walks & 8 SOs. If he eliminates the walks, he throws a minimum of 12 fewer pitches (assuming only 4 pitches per BB). Given that, he could have pitched 6 innings and possibly into the 7th.

• Kevin H

Great point. Hopefully he comes up with a 3rd pitch and controls the 3rd pitch.

• Doc

Bob Gibson lost 8 games the year of his 1.12 ERA. If you are at the top of the rotation you are going to face the best pitchers and you’re going to lose some no matter how well you pitched. However, if you left the game trailing against the opponent’s ace, then you didn’t pitch well enough to win. Well enough to win tonight would have required a shutout. Got to like what Greene will bring to the table next year, though!

33. Dennis Westrick

Strickland now in! What’s the over/under on how many runs Strickland gives up this time?

• Harry Stoner

I wouldn’t take the bet.
      Strickland performs well when it means the least.