The bad news bear continues to just ravage the Cincinnati Reds. This afternoon right-handed pitcher Connor Overton said that an MRI on his back revealed that he had a stress reaction and that he would be unable to throw for 6-8 weeks as first reported by Mark Sheldon of Reds.com.
Sunday was supposed to be a scheduled start for Overton, but his back was sore and the team pushed his start back and let Graham Ashcraft make the start. Earlier today Ashcraft was sent back to the minors as he was a substitute player for the Toronto series. With Overton set to be out for nearly two months, it will be interesting to see if the team adds Ashcraft to the 40-man roster and calls him back up later this week to fill in for Overton.
Connor Overton was officially placed on the 60-day injured list retroactive to Friday.
Nick Senzel is back
After spending a few days on rehab assignment with the Triple-A Louisville Bats last week, outfielder Nick Senzel is back in Cincinnati. He told Charlie Goldsmith of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he will be in the lineup today. As of the publishing of this, no roster move has been made to activate Senzel and we will update this when that happens.
It will be 20 days since Senzel was last in the Reds lineup. He played in Milwaukee on May 3rd before going on the COVID injury list. 15 days after that he joined the Louisville Bats where he played in parts of four games while the team was in Nashville.
As alluded to above, Graham Ashcraft was sent back to Triple-A today. He was not the only one. Infielder Taylor Motter and outfielder Aristides Aquino were also sent back to Triple-A. They were all three substitute players for the Blue Jays series. With those guys returning to the minors and the team back from Canada, the Reds also reinstated from the restricted list reliever Joel Kuhnel, starter Tyler Mahle, infielder Brandon Drury, and outfielder Albert Almora Jr. TJ Friedl was also optioned back to Triple-A. Infielder Donovan Solano was transferred from the 10-day injured list to the 60-day injured list as well. And now Aristides Aquino has been added back to the 40-man roster and to the 26-man roster.