After winning their series against the Pittsburgh Pirates over the weekend, the Cincinnati Reds will welcome the Milwaukee Brewers to Great American Ball Park for a brand new series that they will try to win. Luis Castillo will be making his 2022 debut after missing the first four weeks of the season after suffering through shoulder soreness at the start of spring training. He will match up with Brandon Woodruff, with first pitch set for 6:40pm ET.

Starting Lineups

Starting Pitchers

Pitcher IP ERA WHIP BB K
Brandon Woodruff 24.1 5.18 1.19 8 31
Luis Castillo (2021) 187.2 3.98 1.36 75 192
Links: Luis Castillo’s Stats | Brandon Woodruff’s Stats

Luis Castillo

After missing the first month of the season, Luis Castillo returns to the Cincinnati Reds rotation following three rehab starts in the minor leagues.

Splits (2021)

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 395 96 16 3 12 21 96 .264 .312 .423
LHH 408 85 18 4 7 54 96 .245 .349 .380

Pitch Usage (2021)

4-Seam 2-Seam Slider Change
Velo 97.3 97.4 88.5 86.5
Usage 28.4% 23.9% 17.4% 30.4%

Brandon Woodruff

With an ERA over 5.00 you would think that hitters were finding plenty of success against Brandon Woodruff, but that really hasn’t been the case. Lefties and righties both have an OPS against him well under .700 and he’s given up just two home runs all season. This season he’s been better against lefties, who have just a .277 on-base percentage against him, though historically he has been better against righties.

Splits

Split PA H 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG
RHH 56 12 2 0 1 4 9 .250 .327 .354
LHH 48 9 3 0 1 4 22 .209 .277 .349

Pitch Usage

4-Seam 2-Seam Change Slider Curve
Velo 96.2 95.7 86.5 89.2 83.7
Usage 34.3% 25.1% 17.7% 9.9% 12.9%

When and Where

• Game time: 6:40pm ET
  • Where: Great American Ball Park
  • Watch: Bally Sports Ohio, MLB.tv
  • Listen: 700 WLW AM (Cincinnati area)
  • Forecast: 75°, sunny, 0% chance of rain

News and Notes

Mike Moustakas to the injured list, Ronnie Dawson called up

90 minutes before the start of the game tonight the Reds placed Mike Moustakas on the injured list and called up Ronnie Dawson from Triple-A as a “substitute player”. The Reds now have 14 players on the injured list.

Phillip Diehl designated for assignment

When the Reds activated Luis Castillo for tonight’s start they needed to clear a roster spot and that spot came at the expense of Phillip Diehl, who was designated for assignment. With his departure, that leaves Cincinnati without a single left-handed pitcher on the active roster.

1. Mark Moore

5 innings = good
    6 innings = excellent
    4 innings = battling
    3 innings or less = disaster

That’s my read and I’m sticking to it. Here’s hoping we can hit and one Kyle Farmer comes off the schneid tonight.

• Joe P.

Serious question: Do the Reds have someone else that can play short to give Farmer a break?

2. Bet on Red

Is Lopez up on the main roster or is he in Tripple A? I lost track with all his receint moves

• redsfan4040

Currently on the 26. Didn’t play in the Pirates series.

• Mark Moore

Baffling why he didn’t play at all in 3 games.

• Hanawi

Not baffling at all. Bell will always side with the journeyman veteran over a young player.

3. Mark Moore

Nice work through 2 innings. That last strike was UGLY and NASTY!

4. MBS

Castillo looking sharp period, much less for a 1st appearance.

5. Mark Moore

And a little wrist flick by Colin and there it goes!

6. Mark Moore

3 Innings … baby steps. Need some run support here.

7. Mark Moore

You may notice I dropped my “Respect Cincinnati” shirt picture for this replica die-cast Phantom F-4C I recently found. A) it was time and B) hard to respect right now.

8. Bet on Red

wasn’t the storyline that Matt Reynolds couldn’t hit?

9. MBS

Drury is doing what I hoped Solano would do for the Reds.

10. Mark Moore

Meh … rolled it over.

2nd time through the order coming up.

11. Joe P.

I like the way both Reynolds and Drury swing the bat. Both have a nice swing plane.

12. Mark Moore

Yep … he hung that one for Rowdy. Lucky it stayed in the park.

13. Indy Red Man

I think I was wrong on Almora being able to help. He’s swinging at everything and should’ve atleast dove for the ball there and tried to cut it off. Maybe he leaves his feet and turns it into a triple?

• Joe P.

That ball was drilled. Almora had no chance to catch it or cut it off. Billy Hamilton would have had trouble getting to that ball.

14. Joe P.

Both runners that scored reached base via the walk – something that has happened all too often this year.

15. Votto4life

This team doesn’t deserve to be represented in the all-star game.

• Joe P.

He can’t (or won’t) lay off the inside pitch. He’s getting himself out.

16. Old-school

Kyle Farmer is now 0-33 and passed Todd Frazier 0-31 and Drew Stubbs 0-32. He is in rarified air.

Chris Davis is tuning in remotely as he has the longest hit less streak in MLB at 0-54. Farmer has a big problem as the tie for the 3rd longest hit less streak in MLB at 0-45 is none other than Craig Counsell. He wants off that list.

• dhmorgan

Only 0-33? I thought it was even more than that.
      And didn’t this God-awful streak start after he had 4 doubles in 1 game? He doesn’t have a monkey on his back – more like a gorilla.

• Old-school

If you ignore the (1) 4 double game and July of 2021, he hasn’t hit all year or in his career. Last year, he went 3-4 with 5rbi and a HR double on Memorial Day in an 11-1 win against the Phillies. That was like 2 weeks of stats.

I like Farmer a lot. Hes a competitor and winner and adds value as a utility player. Hes just not an every day MLb SS but people like him and then root for him and then don’t see his limitations. Kinda like Phil Ervin who went 6-6 in Coors Field against a lefty pitcher with a home ERA of 9 and parlayed a Coors field explosion into 6 months of potential. He suddenly was the next Greg Vaughn..until he wasnt

17. Mark A Verticchio

Let’s get real this team is made up of a bunch of has been’s, never will be’s, and a few yet to be’s it’s hard to win against any decent teams with this sort of line up. I will admit they do have a few proven players, like Castillo but even he is inconsistent.

• Votto4life

Yeah, I mean if you inherited this roster which players would you keep around?

I say they have a few quality major league players.

1. Castillo
      2. Mahle
      3. Diaz
      4. Cesa (maybe?)

I don’t think Greene and Lodolo belong on that list yet, but agree they likely will soon.

In terms of position players

1. Stephenson
      2. India
      3. Votto (but I am generous)

That’s all I can identify. The rest could be shipped off without having much effect. I mean Pham is OK I suppose but I think there is every indication he is on the backside of his career.

I don’t know what you can do with only 7 major league players on your roster. Maybe we should be happy they have won 5 games.

• Votto4life

I forgot about Senzel and Barrero. I really don’t know what to make of them. I suppose Barrero deserves a little patience.

I’m afraid Senzel isn’t going to pan out, at least not in Cincinnati. He is giving me an Austin Kearns type of vibe.

18. Mark Moore

I’m going to have to take back my “5 innings = good”, aren’t I?

• Mark Moore

I looked at my original comment. He’s at 4.1 innings and “battling” so maybe I was correct after all.

• Votto4life

Not a great outing, but it is his first start of the season. Castillo will be OK, if he remains healthy.

19. AMDG

Before the season some of the Kyle Farmer apologists were arguing that he was the locked-in starter based on his fluke career year in 2021 (with an OPS+ of 87), and that Barrero had no chance to win the job away from Farmer.

Now that Farmer is actually hitting worse than Barrero, I wonder if Barrero still has to ‘win’ that job, or if Farmer has effectively given it away?

• Bet on Red

Well Barrero can show up… been injured all of this year, ineffectual last year when given the opertunity. I am not saying that Farmer is the bestest, I am just not sure Barrero is the replacement.

• Old-school

What opportunity are you referring to?

Billy Hamilton got 5 years and 2000 at bats worth of opportunity.

Eugenio saurez got 3 years and 1500 at bats.

Scott Schebler played every day for parts of 3 years and 1300 at bats.

Jose Barrero hasn’t had a credible opportunity. Give him 2 years and 1000 at bats. Then decide. No baseball player can play day to day and earn tomorrow based on today. Joey Votto said he could nt play that way. Uber prospects are Uber prospects for a reason. They earned an opportunity. Barrero hasn’t had an opportunity.

• Bet on Red

2 years?!?!?! No way… no one is getting a two-year look. He gets 150 to 200 at-bats when he returns. Produce something middle 2s or better and then we can talk.

• Votto4life

Ineffectual? Jose Barrero only had 50 at bats last year.

Farmer is hitting .194 and is 0 for his last 33 that is ineffectual.

• JB

If you’re giving a top prospect 40-50 games to prove himself then a low prospect like Farmer would have been gone years ago. The rule is basically 1500 at bats, which translates into 2-3seasons.

20. Roger Garrett

Like Farmer but he what he is and Barrero should be given the keys to short when he is ready to play again.

21. JB

The real question is will the Reds have more wins in May than Farmer has hits. 2-0 Reds for now.

22. Hanawi

Reds pitchers have to lead the league in hit to run ratio. Maybe it’s the walks but it also seems like they just can’t get out of innings and strand runners.

23. Roger Garrett

On this roster Farmer can still play a few games a week at a number of positions but Barrero is the future at short even if he hits 200 for the rest of the year.Give him 400 at bats and lets see and 500 more next year and lets see.What is there to lose?Its a battle for 4th place between us and the Bucs this year and next.Good grief we have a 24 year old kid that can possibly be a star and we want to throw him under the bus after what 60 at bats last year.Dude maybe the best athlete we have period.Roster is full of guys over 30 that can’t run and have no range on defense.Barrero numbers in AA/AAA last year were great,we bring him up and throw him in center field and complain.Come on.

• JB

Exactly. Don’t really know if a player is going to be good or not until he has about 1500 at bats. Aquino gets more respect on here than Barrero.

• Votto4life

I don’t understand that at all.

• JB

I was down on Moran and couldn’t understand how he made the team but he is hitting. Hope he keeps it up. I’ll take anybody that can take advantage of little GABP

• JB

I think that’s how he made final roster wasn’t it? He could play short.

24. Old-school

Looks like Castillo out-pitched Woodruff in a GABP game.

On to the bullpens.

Scooter Gennett and Derek Dietrich are watching and reminiscing about the good ole days of GABP.

25. Joe P.

I hope we keep pouring it on them. I am quickly growing to hate the Brewers more than I do the Cardinals and the Cubs. Let’s get this one!

26. Dennis Westrick

Castillo will only become an elite pitcher when he reduces the number of walks! No MLB HOF pitcher has a SO to BB ratio of 1:1. The walks turn into cheap runs, turn the lineup over and inevitably shorten the innings pitched by the SP. I love LC but he simply has to go more than 4.2 innings, preferably 6 innings and give up 3 runs or less to give the Reds BP a chance and lessen the impact of Bell’s infuriating policy of one RP/inning!

27. Joe P.

That’s too good of a pitch by Cessa to Taylor on a 1-2 count. Make him chase.

28. VaRedsFan

Castillo was clearly flying open after the 3rd inning and every pitch was missing to his arm side of home plate. DJ doesn’t visit until 1 out in the 5th. If I can see it from my couch, why can’t professional coaches see it and correct it.

29. Old-school

The story of this game is when Castillo and Woodruff exited the game…the reds were winning comfortably. This game is solely on the bullpen now. Castillo did his job. The offense put up 6 runs through 5 innings.

• Mark Moore

He did for the most part. He didn’t make it a full 5, but he didn’t blow it up either.

30. Mark Moore

Did we switch to pinball when I wasn’t watching?

31. Dennis Westrick

So, the highly effective Reds bullpen and their brilliant manager will now have to figure out how to get 9 more outs without giving up any more runs! I’m on pins and needles checking the score on ESPN!

32. Old-school

Tommy Pham absolutely has value in late July to a playoff team. He competes and plays hard. Get a good AA reliever for him.

33. Bet on Red

I don’t understand why no one has faith in us breaking off a 20-game win streak. It would get us right back in it and back over .500 lol

34. Bet on Red

How is the rotation going to be realigned now that LC is back?

• Indy Red Man

LC, Mahle, Overton, Hunter, and Lodolo. Atleast when Lodolo is healthy. They can’t let Hunter keep getting bombed like that or it will get into his head, but he’ll get more chances.

35. Mark Moore

I’d call that getting off the schneid!!!

Nice bang, Kyle.

• JB

Lmao. I was going to write that and couldn’t remember how to spell schneid.

• Dennis Westrick

Yep, he’ll be in the lineup the rest of the month even if he goes 0 for 33 or worse!

36. Old-school

Farmer gets King Kong off his back
    GAPB doing what GABP does.
    3/4 wins after 3-22

37. Bet on Red

Farmer has more homeruns tonight then Barrero has carrer homeruns

• Old-school

Farmer has 5 less home runs than Brandon Drury for the season and an OPS of 400 points lower.

38. VaRedsFan

Feel good moment for Farmer.
    All 3 hits this inning opposite way.

39. Mark Moore

I’m feeling a whole lot better about our chances to get 3 more outs and officially hit a winning streak.

40. dhmorgan

Every Red in the lineup has at least one hit?
    That must be a first for this year.

• Mark Moore

And at least 1 run scored. Hasn’t happened in 15 years.

41. Mark Moore

We’re 3 outs away from being a couple-three monkeys lighter

• Doc

Seems I’ve seen a number of minor league games in which a starter goes 5-6 and a reliever goes 3. Two pitchers for the game. Hard to understand why that can’t work at the mlb level. Would have thought Hoffman could at least have started the next inning, especially with a 5 run edge.

42. Bet on Red

Almost got through the entire game without that infernal Miami Valley Gaming commercial

• LDS

Going to dream, dream big, let’s go for 20 more and tie the 2017 Cleveland team.

43. Mark Moore

Feels good. I realize it means less given the deep hole we dug to start, but it finally feels good again. I’ll take a win against the Bernies and move on to tomorrow.