Wade Miley could be close to returning. Today he was scheduled to pitch at Prasco Park – the Cincinnati Reds alternate site – as he attempts to come off of the 10-day injured list after being diagnosed with a left-shoulder injury.
“Wade is pitching in a simulated game at Prasco today,” manager David Bell said prior to the Reds double header on Friday afternoon. “He’s responded well to treatment and a little bit of time off, so we’re hoping to get him back. That could be as early as this road trip, or even Chicago.”
It’s been a tough season for Wade Miley and the Reds. The left-handed starter didn’t get through the second inning in either of his first two starts, and he went on the injured list between those two starts, missing nearly three weeks. He then didn’t pitch again for 10 days after his second start. When he returned on August 22nd against St. Louis he pitched better, allowing three runs over 5.0 innings in a 3-0 loss. Then in his last start he looked strong while he was out on the mound, tossing 4.0 innings of 1-hit shutout baseball. But after the 4th inning he told manager David Bell that he was starting to tire and he was replaced. After the game he was placed on the 10-day injured list with a shoulder problem.
Nick Senzel’s return date is uncertain
The last time we saw Nick Senzel on the field was Friday August 14th when he was being pulled away from the team as they were about to celebrate a win over Pittsburgh. He’s been on the unspecified injured list ever since. It was announced on Tuesday that he was beginning to work out over at Prasco Park as he would begin to work his way back.
“(He’s) Still just building himself back up. No date yet,” said manager David Bell. “It’s real important not to rush it, even though we want him back. And he wants to get back as soon as possible. He’s just physically going to need a bit of time. I really don’t even want to speculate. When he’s ready he’s ready. There’s no calendar that’s been put together. He’s just kind of adding in new activities each day. So far he’s responded well to that.”
The lineup has certainly been missing Nick Senzel’s bat. He has an .816 OPS this season. The center fielders for the Cincinnati Reds this season when they aren’t named Nick Senzel have a slash line of .123/.207/.137 this year with an OPS of .344. That’s basically what pitchers hit last year across Major League Baseball.
Sonny Gray’s start pushed back
Sonny Gray was originally scheduled to pitch this weekend in Pittsburgh. Instead he will be pitching in Chicago against the Cubs. The Reds right-handed starter isn’t hurt, but he is being given some extra time after his worst out of his career on Tuesday when he failed to get out of the 1st inning and was charged with six earned runs while walking three batters and throwing 38 pitches with just 17 strikes.
“His last start, I think he might of mentioned it, I think I did, too – his arm didn’t hurt, nothing was coming out the way he was used to,” said David Bell. “We just want to make sure that, given everything he’s dealt with and a lot of players have dealt with this season, that he’s got enough time to get rejuvenated for his next start and not rush that. He’s been so good for us for a year-and-a-half, and he’s gone deep into games and he’s healthy, and he’s even healthier this year than last year – we want to make sure we can keep it that way. We don’t like pushing anyone back this time of year, given this season and everything, but at least we’ll have him in Chicago, which is a good thing.”
Gray was scheduled to start on Sunday. For now that spot is listed as to be announced. That start could go to Tejay Antone if he’s available, but the team may wait to make that decision because they may need to use Antone out of the bullpen in the series before then. José De León is on the taxi squad this road trip and he could be an option, too, if he’s not used in the games today. De León is serving as the 29th player on the roster for Friday’s double header.