Aroldis Chapman was struck in the face, just above his left eye, by a line drive off the bat of Salvador Perez of the Kansas City Royals. The game was stopped and after a 12-minute delay it was suspended. Chapman was taken off the field on a stretcher and is now at a hospital. According to reports from manager Bryan Price, Chapman suffered a laceration (deep cut) and a contusion (bruise) but never lost consciousness.

Enquirer reporter C. Trent Rosecrans is tweeting what he’s seeing on a TV replay from a Japanese station. “From TV Asahi replay, you could see blood on the mound. You could also see Chapman constantly moving. Kicking his legs.”

Manager Bryan Price described it as a “frightening moment.”

Price commenting on the game being suspended: “Well, you just can’t find it in your heart to go out there and play.”

UPDATE: Rosecrans has published a full-length, up-to-date article with a video from Jay Bruce, Bryan Price and other information. Mark Sheldon has filed his full report.

Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who was hit in the face himself in September of 2012 cautions that “all reporting at this point means zilch, until he gets a scan.” He’d know. McCarthy underwent emergency two-hour brain surgery to deal with a hemorrhage and skull fracture. McCarthy returned to pitching in a game against the Reds.

UPDATE: Reds catcher Brayan Pena tweeted his appreciation of both medical staffs: “The Reds and Royals medical and training staff did a GREAT JOB and thank you to both team players and coaching staff for their Prayers !!”

Bleeding into the brain is one of the most severe short-term threats associated with Chapman’s injury.

We’ll update here as more information becomes available.

UPDATE ON CONDITION: Mark Sheldon is reporting that tests show Chapman has suffered fractures above the eye and nose. He’s being transferred to a second hospital for further testing. “Chapman was taken to Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center in Sun City, where tests indicated fractures above his left eye and nose. He has been transferred to Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, where he will undergo further testing. He will be kept overnight for observation.”

I guess it’s good news that he isn’t in emergency surgery and his condition is good enough to be transferred. It sounds like that’s the last medical update we’ll receive until the morning.