W: J. Reyes (3-5)
L: M. Leake (6-3)
S: F. Francisco (7)
– Drew Stubbs and Scott Rolen each hit a homerun.Ã‚Â Stubbs’ homerun was of the inside-the-park variety when Patterson and Bautista misplayed a fly ball hit to right-centerfield.Ã‚Â The inside-the-park homerun was the first hit by a Reds batter in Great American Ballpark and the first hit by a Reds player since Chris Heisey hit one in Pittsburgh last season.Ã‚Â Rolen’s homerun was the first in 1,217,012 at-bats.Ã‚Â Or so it seems.
– Jonny Gomes had 2 singles in 3 at-bats and has seen his average climb to .217 on the season.
– Mike Leake was outstanding through 6 innings pitched, allowing only 2 base hits.Ã‚Â His line for the game was 7 IP, 5 hits, 3 runs, 0 BBs, and 3 Ks.Ã‚Â Pretty good, right?Ã‚Â Reds fans would take that 99% of the time.Ã‚Â But…
– … Leake could not hold the lead in the 7th inning.Ã‚Â In what felt like a matter of seconds, Leake hit Corey Patterson, surrendered a double to Bautista, then gave up a homerun to Lind in a matter of 3 batters.Ã‚Â That sequence of 3 at-bats would be all the offense the Jays would muster, but it was enough to beat the Reds on this given night.
– Joey Votto and Jay Bruce combined to go 0-8 and Bruce struck out 3 times.
– The Reds have played the Jays ten times in interleague play, and the Reds are 3-7 in those games.Ã‚Â Hopefully the Reds will be 4-7 after tomorrow and 5-7 after Sunday’s game.
– I know I mentioned Leake as a positive and a negative, but as I said, I’d take Leake’s start 99% of the time out.Ã‚Â Who am I kidding?Ã‚Â I’d take that start every time out.Ã‚Â Leake only threw 89 pitches through those 7 innings pitched.
– This game was on pace to be completed in less than 2 hours at one point.Ã‚Â Both Leake and Reyes were dealing and I am pretty sure the game was only an hour and a half old and we were in the bottom of the 6th inning.
– As I type this, Milwaukee is getting destroyed by the Red Sox and the Cardinals are tied with the Royals.Ã‚Â Let’s hope we can stay where we are in the standings and not lose any ground.Ã‚Â Oh yeah, Pittsburgh is losing too.Ã‚Â Can’t forget about them, I suppose.
– I’ll be leaving for a the beach in the morning and will have to go a full week without watching the Reds play.Ã‚Â The last time I missed a streak of games we caught fire earlier in the season.Ã‚Â Let’s hope that happens again!