Another off-day, another edition of Not-So-Random Thoughts. As always, this is an open thread to discuss whatever you want. I just had to get a few things off my chest….
* Last week, my barber regaled me with the story of the time he met Ricky Skaggs. A captivating tale.
* Many of you will recall my search last year for some new musical artists to follow. Just added another to my regular rotation: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Great stuff.
* A recurring theme of NSRT is my enduring fascination with old photographs. This week’s installment: some great photos of Bonnie and Clyde. That Life magazine archive is the real deal (although Shorpy is the king of the hill).
* My wife and I have watched 12 episodes of “Lost” so far, and the Professor hasn’t made a single radio out of a coconut yet. Very disappointing.
* Speaking of television, my brother has been after me to catch up on “Game of Thrones,” the new HBO series. I didn’t watch initially because I’m not a fan of the fantasy genre whatsoever (I did not care for Lord of the Rings or the Narnia movies, for example). GoT is not bad, though. I’ll probably stick with it.
* Speaking of television (again), the recent announcement of season 4 (premiere on July 17) of “Breaking Bad” has finally spurred me to start a viewing of season two. I’m four episodes in, after watching season one a while back. It’s very good, and Tim Whatley is great (I’m no anti-Dentite), but it doesn’t rank up there with “Mad Men,” in my opinion.
* A perfect example of why I don’t waste any of my time on Facebook: this site shows Facebook posts from people who don’t realize that The Onion is a fake news source. Hilarity ensues.
* I really enjoyed these “vintage” posters of major online brands.
* Remember those Memorial Day caps everyone wore on Monday? Yes, they were awful. I don’t know why MLB thinks it’s a good idea to use those “flag” logos. They never work.
On the other hand, I kinda like the Reds version. Specifically, I liked the white panel on the front of the cap. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Reds use an alternate cap, adorned with their regular red wishbone-C logo, with that white panel on the front. It looked much better than I expected.
* To follow up on an earlier story…as it turns out, Ricky Skaggs is a great guy. Just a regular guy, like you and me. According to my barber.
* My search for the best Android Twitter app is over. Tweetcaster wins. It does everything I need, and does it all well.
* These “Buffalo Style Ranch” sunflower seeds are disgusting.
* Ummm…this dude can play some tennis.
* I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the ol’ alma mater. UVa lacrosse recently won their sixth national championship, and Virginia baseball received the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Baseball Tournament. Now, if we could just do something about that football program….
* I had a dream last week that I went on a road trip with Ron Swanson from “Parks and Rec.” That’s right. Best. Dream. Ever. Swanson entered a steak-eating contest. It was great.
By the way, have you seen Ron Swanson dancing?
* Finally, I cannot stop laughing at this: