CINCINNATI – 7
HOUSTON – 3
WP: H. Bailey (2-0)
LP: B. Myers (1-3)
– Homer Bailey was outstanding yet again.Ã‚Â Bailey went 7 shutout innings, scattering 5 hits and striking out 5.Ã‚Â He did not walk a batter and retired 12 of the first 13 batters he faced.Ã‚Â He threw 95 pitches, 63 of which were for strikes.Ã‚Â Granted both of Bailey’s starts this season have been against the Astros, but he still looks pretty good in the early going!
– After a night off last night, Joey Votto returned to the lineup with a bang tonight, going 3-5 with 2 doubles and a single.Ã‚Â He scored a run and drove in 3 RBI.
– Jay Bruce hit his club leading 8th homerun in the top half of the first inning which gave the Reds an early 4-0 lead.Ã‚Â Bruce finished the night 1-4 with a walk, 2 RBI, and 2 runs scored.
– Miguel Cairo finished the night a perfect 3-3 at the plate with a double, 2 singles, and a walk.
– Brandon Phillips drove in a run and went 2-5 at the plate.
– I would love to say “None” here, but I can’t.Ã‚Â Aroldis Chapman looked lost on the mound tonight.Ã‚Â Chapman took to the hill with a comfortable 7-0 lead in the 8th inning.Ã‚Â He promptly walked the first batter, hit the next batter, and then walked the next 2 men he faced to force in a run.Ã‚Â Nick Masset came in and gave up a single to the next batter, thus giving Chapman a line of 0.0 IP, 0 Hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, 1 HBP, and 0 strikeouts.
– At one point I was wondering whether or not the Astros were just leaving Myers in the game so he could pitch 6 innings.Ã‚Â He was getting beat all over the place through the first two innings and appeared headed for the showers early.Ã‚Â But he manage to straighten things out, holding the Reds scoreless for the next 4 innings and recording 8 strikeouts on the night.
– The Reds starting pitching has been exceptional over their last 5 or 6 starts.Ã‚Â I do not have the exact figures in front of me, but the rotation has been great.Ã‚Â Trust me!
– Edgar Renteria had a base running blunder in the 9th inning.Ã‚Â It did not cost the Reds much, but it did rob us of seeing Joey Votto finish his final AB of the night!
– The Reds have now won 3 straight games and 7 of their last 10.Ã‚Â The Reds will go for the series sweep of Houston tomorrow at 2:05.Ã‚Â Edinson Volquez will take the mound.
– I asked after his last start, and I received.Ã‚Â Here is the unveiling of the new Homer Bailey sombrero picture!