Cincinnati – 6
Houston – 1
WP: T. Wood (2-3)
LP: A. Rodriguez (0-1)
– Travis Wood pitched 6.2 scoreless innings, allowing only 6 hits and a walk while striking out 6. Wood also helped himself out with the bat by belting a 3-run homer in the 3rd inning to give the Reds the lead. The homerun was a no-doubter and Wood appeared to even give the blast a little “Sammy Sosa hop” treatment.
– Ramon Hernandez hit his 3rd homerun of the season in the 4th inning, a 2-run shot that gave the Reds a 5-0 lead. Hernandez made his first start at 1b this season as Joey Votto was given a much needed night off.
– Drew Stubbs, Brandon Phillips, and Chris Valaika had 2 more hits each for the Reds. Ryan Hanigan led all Reds batters with 3 hits tonight.
– I am not a big fan of using him in this situation, but Mike Leake pitched a scoreless 9th inning in relief tonight. Leake struck out 1 and did not allow a base runner.
– I forget which inning it came in, but Brandon Phillips made a spectacular diving play at 2b tonight. A soft line drive up the middle appeared destined to be a base hit into center field, but Phillips ranged to his right, dove, and made an outstanding grab. There isn’t a better defensive 2b in the game!
–The Reds improve to 5-2 on the season against the lowly Astronomicals.
– The Reds will go for a winning record on this mini road trip with a win tomorrow. Homer Bailey will make his 2nd start of the season while making his first start in Houston, his first ever start in his home state.
– The homerun by Travis Wood was the first homerun by a Reds pitcher since Wood hit a homerun off of the Cardinals last season.
– Chad noted that he feels this club is on the verge of making a run. I have the same feeling now that our rotation seems to be coming together. I can’t think of a better time to make that run than this week!