* We’ve all heard the stories about Travis Wood working out during the off-season with Philadelphia’s Cliff Lee. Both are Arkansas lefthanders, and Wood could pick worse pitchers to emulate.
Dusty is looking forward to seeing Wood face Lee in the regular season: “I want to see the pupil beat the master – or at least match his teacher and we can do the rest, hopefully.”
Hopefully. Wood pitched alright yesterday, yielding two runs and five hits in three innings, while striking out two and walking two.
* Brandon Phillips missed his second straight game yesterday. Flu-like symptoms.
* Edinson Volquez was supposed to start today, but he’s still trying to get his work visa. There are hopes that he will have the visa in hand today and be back in camp tomorrow.
* Mark Sheldon has a short piece on Fred Lewis, who says he’s experimenting at the plate. I admit that I’m intrigued to see how Dusty Baker uses Lewis, and how much he’ll help the team.
* Dontrelle Willis pitched two perfect innings yesterday.
* Joe Morgan will be the grand marshal of the Opening Day parade. You guys know who Joe Morgan is, right?