Mark Sheldon throws out some “random thoughts”:
Reliever Jose Arredondo might be more familiar with the Reds’ spring complex than any other pitcher. Arredondo had to sit out all of the 2010 season to rehab from Tommy John surgery and spent plenty of time rehabbing in Goodyear.
“It was terrible. I was here the whole year,” Arredondo said on Tuesday.
But the good news is that through a couple of bullpens, he’s feeling good with no problems. This could be a very good signing by Walt Jocketty.
As opposed to this one:
Miguel Cairo is 36 years old with 15 seasons of Major League service time logged with nine different clubs.
Yet, for the first time in his career, Cairo is playing under a multiyear contract. The Reds inked the utility infielder to a two-year, $2 million deal in December.
“I’ve been working real hard my whole career,” Cairo said on Tuesday. “I was really happy to see that happen.”
No one would question that he was a definite asset to the team last year. (Many of us here, including myself, ate a large amount of crow as Cairo exceeded EVERYONE’s expectations.) But does anyone believe he will repeat last year’s success?
And even more important, it doesn’t answer the question as to why, if Mr. Jocketty decided it was a good idea to bring him back at all (which can be argued against on the strength of the talented youngsters in the organization), sign him to a two year deal?
I don’t care how much money it is for, two years is a bad idea for this guy.