Another great night at the ol’ ballyard (and another brief recap). The highlights of a fun evening:
* Sell-out crowd, which is something we see far too rarely. The Reds even sold all the standing-room-only tickets.
* Edinson Volquez made his first start in more than a year and, after some shakiness in the first inning or two, he was electrifying. Volquez’s fastball hovered around 95, his change looked good. How many other playoff contenders will add a pitcher of this caliber for the second half?
* The Reds only had five hits. This offense stinks.
* Of course I’m kidding.
* Four homers for the good guys tonight, including two by Drew Stubbs. Who would have guessed that Stubbs would have more homers at this point than either Jay Bruce or Jonny Gomes?
* Brandon Phillips hit a three-run blast, and Gomes hit an absolute laser into the left field seats.
* Tonight, we saw the most docile fan ever to run on the field at a baseball game. He just jumped onto the field, then jogged straight to the cop.
I can’t imagine having much more fun than I’ve had the last two nights…unless we can replicate this in October.