I didn’t have the heart to post a recap yesterday, and I’m still irritated about Dusty Baker’s attempt to make Homer Bailey’s arm fall off. I’m afraid it’s only a matter of time before Bailey and Johnny Cueto and Mike Leake and Aroldis Chapman join Edison Volquez in having major arm/elbow/shoulder surgery.

Further, I’m so sick of my team being old-school when most of the rest of the league realizes that there are advanced ways to understand the game in 2010. Heck, maybe the Reds have a great advanced player analysis department, but they sure as heck ignore the advice coming from that department. And if they don’t have a department like that, yes, I’m available to help create one, Walt Jocketty. Give me a call.

Okay, my rant is over. I’m still pretty excited to watch today’s game, in light of the strides Aaron Harang made in his last outing. Unfortunately, Chris Carpenter will be pitching for the Cardinals, so it’s going to be a tough one. A win will give the Reds a win in this series, and that would be great.

Here’s your game preview. Go Reds.

1. pinson343

Dusty’s reply to why he left in Homer for so long: “We were trying to get him a win.” This is the answer he almost always gives to why he left in a starter too long. Even if you ignore the issue of the health of the starting pitchers, this is still a bad answer.

The goal is for the team to win the game, not for the starting pitcher to get a W. This is taking being a “player’s manager” to the point of hurting the team. (As if that’s news.)

2. pinson343

Hanigan’s in the lineup again, nice. Also, Nix in LF helps our defense.

Come to think of it, Nix was also in the opening day lineup against Carpenter.

3. The Mad Hatter

Free Chris Heisey!!!!

If Dusty wasn’t planning on playing him and letting him marinate, why not DFA the all-around veteran game of Miguel Cairo, call up Drew Sutton and add Balentien to the 40 man and call him up. Heisey needs at bats not vinegar, garlic and other assorted spices.

4. Matt WI

Absoultely right. I just finished reading the quote over at the reds site on mlb.com. A) Never pitch someone for a statistic (see Harang, Aaron after the rain delay); B) Never, ever pitch to Pujols with first base open in a close game. I’m so angry at Dusty right now. It’s one those games where I’m more upset with how they lost rather than the fact that they did lose.

pinson343:

5. mike

@Matt WI: Pitching to Pujols with 1B open and a runner in scoring position was the dumbest managerial move I have EVER seen in baseball. Dusty should be fired over that move alone, no less the rest of his insanity.

6. TC

Going silent until Pinson343 catches back up and passes me on the leader board (as it should be). BUT… I have one thing to comment on before I slip back into the shadows.

THANK YOU GOD, that Ryan Hanigan is not the primary catcher. Not sure if everyone hear the news, but Ryan Hanigan has been officially named the primary catcher on the Reds team. 8)

7. lukeukcrazy

Looks like a pitcher’s duel.

8. eastcoast redsfan

The bad decisions multiply with Dusty.

In Houston, he brings in Cordero in a situation when he didn’t have to, overusing the bullpen. He could have given most of the “big guns” a day off.

In the first game of this series, he further overtaxes the bullpen. The game was restarted with 4 innings left, a long time to fill without a long man. He could have brought in Owings and saved a lot of the bullpen again.

That leads to yesterdays game when by this point, he has painted himself into a corner. Cordero has pitched 4 games in a row so he is out – Rhodes is closer for the day so he cant bring him in to put down the early threat. Herrera had pitched a few days in a row too. Leaving Bailey in was the best option he had…. so he used it.

To me, the worst part about all this is, I’m convinced that Dusty will do whatever he can to save his job — even if that means burning out every arm on the staff. The Reds should get rid of Dusty, not just for his decisions now, but for the negative impact he will have on the future of the organization.

9. renbutler

Is Jay Bruce really that slow, or did he think he had a sure base hit?

10. Kyle

@eastcoast redsfan: I would disagree with a few things here. I think Baker did a poor job yesterday for sure, but this bullpen probably blows it either way. Regardless, Bailey should not have been pitching as long as he did (I don’t think he should’ve thrown a pitch in the 7th). By trying to get him one stat (a win), he made a great outing look like an above average one and hurt another stat (era).

I would never have put Owings in to Friday night game. You have no idea what you will get from him. There is a good chance he would’ve immedietaly blown the game and taxed the bullpen anyway. I like that Baker did as much as he could to win that game.

I’d actually say the same thing about the Houston game. Masset gave up a bomb and has been terrible. I would always throw Cordero to preserve a win before trying to rest him for a time that may not come. Yesterday is a good example. He wasn’t needed so him not being available didn’t matter (using him in a nonsave situation is a different matter, as we know Baker would not ahve done this).

11. Kyle

I am guessing an argument could be made (and would not be surprised to hear Baker make it) that he is leaving his starters in because he doesn’t know what he will get from the pen. I think that is reasonable. The problem with that argument is all of the evidence from last year when the bullpen was outstanding. He had the exact same problems with leaving guys in too long. Throughout his time here (at the very least), he has been terrible at knowing when to take a guy out.

12. Kyle

Great, this Freese guy puts the Reds behind 1-0 again. Harang can’t stay away from the long ball.

13. Jason

Yeah, def going to be one of those days. MMM HMM..

14. nvilleredsfan

It will interesting to see who hits into more DPs this year… Rolan or Cabrara. Old and slow, the both of them.

15. Barnes

It is probably that I’m able to watch more games this year, so I notice, but man, umpires are inconsistent with their zones.

16. mike

@nvilleredsfan: oh you can’t leave Phillips out of the DP discussion.

Phillips is tied for 3rd on the all-time Reds GIDP list for a single season when he hit into 26 in 2007

Phillips is 20th on the all-time Reds GIDP list with 81

He’s hit into 2 already this season

Phillips is the king of the GIDP

17. The Mad Hatter

Gonna sound like a bitter homer here but there have been two distinct strike zones this series, one for Cardinal pitchers and one for Reds pitchers. The Cardinal strike zone is a wee bit bigger.

18. Jason

Jason:

I miss Adam Dunn. Yeah, I said it.

Redacted. I’m obviously tipsy playing this Paul Keels Drinking Game. MMM HMM..

19. mike

Can this really happen? I mean the Reds get 3 good starts from their starters in a series against the 1st place Cards but only win 1 game?

20. Kyle

@mike: This is a decent start, but 3 runs through 5 innings against Carpenter isn’t going to get it done. The Reds just aren’t at the Cardinals level right now.

21. Barnes

Walk Ryan so Pujols comes up with bases clogged.

22. Truman48

What do we do with this guy?! He is horrendous (right now)

23. Truman48

He has got to be able to get Ludwig out. Instead he walks him and gives up the bases clearning double to MVP of a generation.

24. Kyle

This bullpen is flat out garbage. Not a bad game from Harang, but when you can’t get anything going offensively there is not much that can be done.

25. Kyle

If I’m Baker, Masset is pitching the 8th until he hits the end of his pitch count. No need to use another arm, when the Reds are losing this one anyway.

26. Truman48

I agree Kyle. See what he can do with some adversity.

27. mike

Masset has completely lost it compared to last year.
    his BB rate is through the roof
    he’s allowing a ton my flyballs than last year
    an unbelievable 27 base runners in 10 1/3
    batters are hitting .370 against him

problem is I don’t see much in AAA that could help
    the AAA rotation is loaded but the bullpen not so much

28. Barnes

Whatever it takes to get himself fired, that’s what Dusty should do. Seriously, if it takes getting swept by the Mets in a series full of mismanagement, then so be it.

29. Barnes

He might be the greatest guy in the world in the clubhouse, and might be popular with the players, and all that stuff we don’t see, but he kills those guys with poor decision making, X’s and O’s, everyday.

/steps off soapbox, done preaching to the choir

30. Truman48

@Mike. So what do we do with him? I don’t know how much longer we can run him out there.

31. Y-City Jim

Reds – 22nd in BA, 23rd in OBP, 16th on Runs, 21st in SLG.

When’s Jacoby’s butt on the unemployment line?

32. pinson343

TC:

Come on, TC, you can handle the pressure of being number one. on the board !

33. preach

‘/steps off soapbox, done preaching to the choir’

Don’t take my job.

34. GRF

It is a continuing source of amazement to me thta Dusty can be so good at all the things we do not see, but makes decisions that anyone that ever played stratomatic woul avoid. Isn’t the bench coach or someone supposed to be giving him advice on things like that?

Barnes:

/steps off soapbox, done preaching to the choir

35. pinson343

It’s going to be the same old, same old from me. But what can I do, it’s deja vu all over again. The bullpen, sigh.

Once again, the brilliant strategy of pitching around Ludwick with 2 outs so you can pitch to Pujols with the bases loaded . And once again, pitching Ludwick fastballs outside, outside, outside. (OK, ball 3 was a hanging slider.)
    Next make three way outside pitches to get behind 3-0 on Pujols, then put one on the outside corner, just where he’s looking for it, so he can smash it.
    Why is Masset afraid to come inside with his fastball ? Why doesn’t Price educate him about this ?

Since the count is 3-0 anyway and Pujols scolded you (Masset) on Friday nite for a fist pump after your biggest pitch of the season, how about throwing it just under his chin, and knocking him on his royal butt ?
    But I suppose if Masset aimed there, it could end up beaning him, and no one wants that.
    Is that why Masset is afraid to pitch inside at all, because he might kill someone ?

36. pinson343

Yet another bullpen comment that I keep repeating ad nauseam: Owings should not be our garbage time pitcher !
    He is far from the worst pitcher on this staff. Yes he should primarily be a long man, but in meaningful situations. Like after Friday nite’s rain delay (instead of using 5 relievers), extra inning games, and occasional work (as needed to stay sharp) late in a game where we’re behind but close.

37. Furniture City Red

You’d never guess that the Reds have won 5 of their last 7 after reading these comments…I’m just saying 😉

38. Glenn

I realize that Harang has not been the same for time now but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a starting pitcher who gets less run support than he does. Whenever I see that Harang is going to start, I know that the team is going to score 3 or less runs. I’m rarely suprised.

39. Y-City Jim

@Glenn: Which is pretty often since they have score 3 or fewer in almost half their ballgames so far.

40. mike

@Y-City Jim:

The Reds are 3 (Cueto, Leake and Arroyo starters) and 9 this season when scoring 3 runs or less

the starters in the losses were
    Harang 3 times
    Bailey twice
    Cueto twice
    Arroyo
    Leake

in other words both Harang and Bailey haven’t gotten some bad run support
    Cueto’s overall run support has been the worst on the team this year. He’s the only Reds starter among the top 20 in the NL for poor run support at
    Interestingly enough Harang has the best overall run support among the Reds starters this year. In other words when he has gotten support it’s been a LOT. The Reds average 7.5 runs a game for him. Odd.

and almost no pitcher in history has gotten worse run support than Matt Cain for the Giants. The last couple years it’s shocking how the Giants never score for him.

to be honest, today was the difference between two team aces taking on each other but one is a real ace. He shut the Reds down completely.

41. BigRedMike

Y-City Jim:

Reds – 22nd in BA, 23rd in OBP, 16th on Runs, 21st in SLG.
    When’s Jacoby’s butt on the unemployment line?

This team is built to win through pitching and great defense. 😉

42. mike

@BigRedMike: that’s funny. I just don’t get the defense this year

Votto seems much improved
    Phillips is great
    Cabrera is the worst in baseball
    Rolen’s defense has looked pretty mediocre. He’s lost a step
    Bruce is great
    Stubbs seems terrible uncomfortable in CF this year. Just not playing defense like last year
    Dickerson in CF is great
    Gomes is a nightmare in LF
    Hernandez is terrible behind the plate
    Hanigan is great behind the plate

I know there are some black holes like Cabrera at SS and Gomes in LF but how is that defense among the worst in baseball?

The Reds obviously don’t like OBP. It’s been in decline since Jacoby/Baker took over.

team OBP
    .336 2006
    .335 2007
    .321 2008 Baker takes over
    .318 2009 Jacoby takes over as hitting coach
    .320 2010

league average is between .331-.334 during this time
    can’t clog those bases….

43. pinson343

Furniture City Red:

I and I’m sure others here have not forgotten the 5 game winning streak. I especially enjoyed the 3 game sweep of Houston while I was there.

Today’s game was not a frustrating loss for me. As far as the end result goes, Carpenter shut us out, end of story. The Saturdaay game was frustrating because we gave it away with walks and defensive miscues.

I’m actually feeling optimistic these days because our starting rotation is our core, and all 5 of them seem on track right now. I’m frustrated by the approach of most of the pitchers in our bullpen, but I’ve said enough about that.

44. mike

@pinson343: I agree. And actually in the last 7 days only 2 Reds pitchers have an ERA over 4! Masset and Fisher
    Reds starters have 8 OK starts in a row.