Wow, that day off was nice, wasn’t it? (Well, except for this.)

Anyway, back to the grind of the season today. Yes, it’s only April and yet it’s still a grind. A couple of wins over the Los Angeles Dodgers would be nice, though. Remember when the Dodgers used to be a hated rival? Those days seem like ancient history. (Tommy Lasorda hasn’t forgotten, however. He still hates the Reds.)

Homer Bailey vs. Chad Billingsley tonight. Who knows what we’ll see outta Homer tonight, but I continue to expect him to have that first standout performance of 2010. One of the starters is going to have to pitch well sometime.

Game preview is here; lineup (including the oft-injured Scott Rolen) is below the fold. Enjoy!

Drew Stubbs CF
Orlando Cabrera SS
Joey Votto 1B
Brandon Phillips 2B
Scott Rolen 3B
Jay Bruce RF
Jonny Gomes LF
Ramon Hernandez C
Homer Bailey P

1. jdarts

Nice to see Rolen back in the lineup. Maybe he can stay healthy for a week or two.

2. Phill

jdarts:

He just needed to get more Metamucil from the store. He’s fine now.

3. Chad Dotson

I’m afraid a week or two at a time is the best we can hope for re: Rolen’s health.

4. De_Here

cf
    ss

…..the way a lineup should be!

5. mike

first two batters in the lineup get on base
    ….the way a lineup should be!

ooops, wrong team

6. The Mad Hatter

Anyone think that Justin Lehr would be cool in being Homer’s personal pitching coach?

7. Jason1972

Homer on track for another 30 pitch inning.

8. Jason1972

How can Bailey be one of the top 3 or 4 pitchers in baseball for a month and a half at the end of 2009 and revert back to the 2007-2008 Homer Bailey as soon as the season starts?

9. RedZeppelin

Well, at least you can say Homer is consistent this year. Consistently BAD, but consistent.

10. The Mad Hatter

I know it’s my frustration with everything baseball oriented right now but I’d like to note my disgust of the major league strike zone.

11. De_Here

@Jason1972: because he was a wildly overrated prospect that will probably never be more than a 4th starter in his career

12. jdarts

I’m so sick of watching this garbage year in and year out.

13. mike

@RedZeppelin: The problem of course, if the Reds want to make changes is who has been worse? Harang, Bailey, Arroyo or Cueto. A bit odd that the only starter to pitch well for the Reds this year is the guy who 0 major league experience

14. Barnes

Stubbs could’ve taken one for the team there. He would be on first.

15. Truman48

Just turned over and we are already down 3-0. How bad can this team be? Just heard it was another extra base hit by the opponents that did it.

16. Jason1972

Every night is starting to feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick Lucy’s football with this team.

17. wanderinredsfan

Another bad first-inning by a young pitcher. I noticed something today and with Cueto’s last start: The velocity of each pitcher’s first inning or two was relativey low (90-92mph) compared to their average velocities.

I wonder if they aren’t getting warmed up enough to start the game? Of course their arms could already be feeling lagged, because neither pitcher is throwing the gas that they we’re during last season. I hope it’s nothing worst.

18. Jason1972

Well that was better, but 3 runs might as well be 10 for this offense.

19. The Mad Hatter

“Brandon Phillips, Cleanup Hitter” Words that strike fear in opponent’s hearts.

20. Jason1972

Well they may have brought the non Styrofoam bats tonight.

21. Truman48

Wow! Where did this come from?! Now they need to get the third run in. NO strike outs.

22. The Mad Hatter

Keep it rolling now, make Billingsley work a little. Bruce’s luck may be turning.

23. De_Here

thank god Jay is hitting again *pause*

24. Truman48

Come on Hernandez. Give us something.

25. Dust Ball

Come on Homer, you’re teammates just picked you up and got you right back in the game. I want to see Homer compete tonight and grind a bit on the hill. He’s got to have a bulldog mentality now.

26. Chad Dotson

Reds found the bats when they returned home. They must’ve left them in the clubhouse when they went on the road trip.

27. riverrat

@Dust Ball:
    My head is going to explode. Joe ‘freaking’ Mather threw two innings in that 20 inning Cards vs. Mets marathon and allowed two runs. All he did was throw straight at about 82 mph and the Mets couldn’t do much with it. If Bailey could just throw it down the middle at 90+ and pop in a surprise curve every 2 or 3 pitches he’d probably give up fewer runs. Have faith in your defense, don’t worry about strike outs and just pitch!

28. Travis G.

I really want to see Bruce get good and hot for awhile. It’s really not fun to watch him hit hard liners.

29. jdarts

Could this inning go any better for the Reds?

30. Truman48

Why was the runner not coming home on that? Wouldn’t he have made that. I’m not complaining though. We are scoring runs!

31. The Mad Hatter

jdarts:

Could this inning go any better for the Reds?

Yep, Stubbs wouldn’t strikeout.

32. World

I cut Stubbs today from my fantasy team. That is why.

33. The Mad Hatter

I can’t believe my monitor. 6 runs in one inning.

34. Travis G.

This is really fun to watch. It’s the exact opposite of the top of the first.

35. TheNatural

PEDinson Volquez must be sharing his fertility drugs.

36. Barnes

@World: As did I. Even in the minors, he’s never made contact more than 75% of the time.

37. World

If Homer gets knocked around now, get him a ticket for the other side of the river.

38. jdarts

What’s the over/under on Bailey blowing this lead?

39. The Mad Hatter

Great comment by Kelch @ Cabrera: “He’s almost making some of these look easy”

40. Truman48

at JDarts: even odds. Wouldnt you think?

41. jdarts

I need to learn how to use the quote box apparently.

42. The Mad Hatter

That pitch was a strike, twice last inning.

43. jdarts

@Truman48: Agreed. I hate being so pessimistic, but we’ve seen it happen before.

44. The Mad Hatter

Did I just see a leadoff double, followed by a ground out-advance the runner, followed by a sac fly? From the Reds?

45. earl

A couple of things from the game so far:

On the camera shot from 3rd, you could really see Jay Bruce was hustling on that triple. He got from first through second very quick.

I was impressed that they actually got the runners on 2nd & 3rd home with no outs. (I’m again impressed they didn’t strand Rolen this inning too.)

Nice job for Homer in getting down a good bunt and moving up on the fly out.

46. Dust Ball

Maybe it’s me but our young pitchers don’t seem to trust their stuff. Homer has the stuff and Cueto too, but golly they nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble and end up throwing a plethora of pitches and walking guys like mad.

If Rolen could just stay healthy.

47. pinson343

Just logging on, was I ever shocked to see the “6” on the board. We’ll need that and more.

A couple words of praise for guys who have been taking some heat. Cabrera is a SF machine – I’m not knocking it, better than a K machine as 6 is better than 5. Hernandez has been throwing some people out.

48. Kurt Frost

Dust Ball:

If Rolen could just stay healthy.

Reds pitchers have been pitching like that since I’ve been watching them.

49. Dust Ball

@pinson343:

For all the heat he’s taken, Cabrera’s been money at the plate when he’s needed to get a run in from third this year. He gives you a professional AB

50. Travis G.

Kurt Frost:

Corey Patterson signed with the Orioles. They must be desperate.

The BoSox just called up Darnell McDonald. They really are desperate with Ellsbury and Cameron out.

51. Barnes

Ha! That piece earlier about Lasorda not allowing anything with the color red to be worn in a Dodger clubhouse. The numbers on the front of their stupid jerseys are red.

52. Kurt Frost

An outfield of Corey Patterson, Willy Taveras and Darnell McDonald would give me diarrhea. It’s like a wet dream for Dusty.

53. pinson343

While I was blabbing, Rolen doubles and scores on two “productive outs.” See, there is such a thing as a productive out.
    Rolen back in the lineup makes such a difference.

Did he have a chance to make a play on that infield hit ?

54. earl

Well Tommy also said he bled Dodger blue, but I bet if you cut him well…

I freaking HATE the Dodgers. If you grew up watching the Reds in the late 70s and the 80s, you HATED the Dodgers.

81 — Never forget.

55. pinson343

Barnes:

Back in the days of the BRM, LaSorda wouldn’t allow any of the Dodgers (or their wives) to wear anything red.

56. Chad Dotson

You know, Lasorda is an idiot, but I’d probably eat that stuff up if I were a Dodgers fan.

57. Kurt Frost

Players shouldn’t be allowed to deface their helmets. Cabrera’s is just disgusting.

58. earl

Tommy Lasorda was a pretty good manager and definitely a good salesman of Dodger baseball. He is actually a pretty good interview.

VOTTOMATIC!

59. Kurt Frost

I can’t believe Ramon Ortiz still pitches in the majors. He’s not even left handed.

60. earl

Oh yeah, did Homer have the odd Arrow tattoo on his glove arm last season?

61. pinson343

Good old Ramon comes back to help us.

62. The Mad Hatter

Gomes making the easy look nearly impossible.

63. pinson343

Lasorda is apparently obnoxious in person, unless you’re a buddy of Sinatra’s. Not hard to imagine.

64. Greg Dafler

Kurt Frost:

I noticed that earlier this month and was wondering why he mucked up a perfectly nice batting helmet. Maybe he doesn’t want to show what team he is playing for?

65. Dust Ball

Just curious, did the Reds can Brooke Jacoby today?

Only Dusty could find a worse table setter than Patterson or Wee Willy …. Drew Stubbs.

66. Kurt Frost

How many pitches is the toothpick leaving Bailey out there for tonight? 120? 130?

67. Chad Dotson

Okay, that’s five innings for Homer. If he can’t get a win out of this one, I quit.

68. jdarts

I’m not sure I recall a Reds game doing more of a 180 than this. I thought it was gonna be an avalanche after that 1st inning.

69. Greg Dafler

Last year they had a terrible 1st inning run differential. I haven’t looked yet this year, but it seems they get off to a bad start frequently this year, too.

A lot of folks attributed that to the pitching coach last year, but they’ve got a different guy. So what is it? Other team’s advance scouts vs. a predictable 1st inning game plan for the Reds?

70. earl

Rolen’s back must be pretty loose tonight.

71. hoosierdad

OK, so who are these guys and what have they done to the REDS? Seriously, nice to see them break out the lumber for a change.

72. Furniture City Red

@earl: Me too, actually more than the Cardinals but less than the Cubs…

73. Dust Ball

Chad Dotson:

You must be feeling lucky … Dusty just rang the bullpen and told Lincoln to start warming up.

74. Greg Dafler

On to some important stuff: Avatar – haven’t seen it. On the netflix list. Will probably suck because I’ve heard it was made for theaters.

And I’ve noticed Netflix (actually the studios) has added a 1 month lag between retail release date and rental availability dates.

75. hoosierdad

@hoosierdad: Don’t know where the comment went?!? He threw 8 in the 5th. Would love to see him go 6 and about 100 tonight. Would give him 5 straight good innings to top off a rough 1st.

76. Greg Dafler

pinson343:

Good old Ramon comes back to help us.

I think they had both Ortiz’s (Russ and Ramon) at the start of the season but released Russ withing the past week.

77. Furniture City Red

Ok…Every division has 5 teams except the NL Central (6) and the AL west(4), so how about moving the Cardinals to the AL west…just a thought 😉

78. Furniture City Red

@Greg Dafler: Imax 3D… avatar was great…..not sure about on a small screen.

79. The Mad Hatter

Gomes makes Dunner look like a ballerina.

80. World

Gomes is not too graceful out there. Wow!

The Reds need a full-time left fielder who can hit the ball with power. There’s got to be a couple candidates around either league who could be had for Harang.

81. hoosierdad

Don’t have the game on TV. Should Gomes have made the play on that ball? And if so, why is he still in there when we’re up by 6 and just need defense to close out the game? Move that Dusty-o-meter down another tick!

82. Truman48

Do the Reds have anyone in the pen?

83. Furniture City Red

@hoosierdad: Too True. If you don’t make defensive replacements with a six run lead when do you?

84. earl

Maybe Dickerson would have been able to get to the ball to have a better shot at making a catch, but it would have still have been a heck of a catch if it happened.

The way Harang has pitched over the last year, I just don’t think there are any money clubs going to give up much or take on his salary at this point.

85. vanwilder8

@World: We used to have one of thems. Marty led the mob that ran him out of town.

86. Furniture City Red

@World: I don’t think your gonna get much for Harang at this point.

87. earl

I just hope that Dusty getting greedy and waiting perhaps a batter two late to pull the trigger doesn’t come back to haunt.

88. earl

Oh well, Homer keeps it up for a couple of more starts he will have some nice long bus rides in Louisville to ponder his career.

89. taoistlumberjak

110 pitches? What the heck is this crap?

90. earl

At least compared to say when Homer was a rookie, the Reds actually have some options with some of those guys in AAA.

91. Dust Ball

Let’s face it, this was a pretty poor showing by Homer when he was staked to a huge lead. Over 100 pitches before you can get 2 outs in the fifth is not great and he gave up 5 runs. I just don’t see Homer ever consistently being good enough to stay near the to of the rotation. It’s time, like all the guys on this team, that he starts producing … that’s what it’s all about. I don’t want to hear they’re still young. It’s time to show glimpses of what you can do at this level.

92. CeeKeR

I’m finally checking in – first thing I noticed was the new blog look. I like it (except it doesn’t show up correctly in my browser – comments 28 through 60 have what I assume to be the right hand column overlaid on them). On a brighter note, it’s nice to see the Reds scoring some runs finally!

93. earl

Jonny Gomes totally misplayed that one ball in Pittsburgh, but I honestly can’t recall really make any other major defensive transgressions over this season.

I still like the guy, he isn’t great, but he does seem to give you what he’s got.

94. pinson343

Nice job, Daniel Ray. With their lineup, this is now a close game.
    No Ondrusek please.

95. Dust Ball

I don’t know, but might want to tack on a couple more.

96. earl

Knowing Dusty, he will probably bring in Ondrusek with 1st and 2nd filled and Manny coming to the plate.

That said, Ondrusek is probably closer to say Homer Bailey to figuring it out. Problem is that the guy will follow a killer pitch with a total meatball.

97. GRF

Another 110 pitches for Bailey. I hope i am worng, but with his velocity down and heavy workload at teh end of last year, I am worried the verducci effect is an issue here.

98. GRF

Sigh, proofread before hitting submit.

99. Greg Dafler

@CeeKeR: Are you using a desktop or laptop? If desktop, what type of monitor? I notice the problem you stated from a standard TV sized/box monitor, but I don’t have that problem on my laptop.

100. GRF

I know Cairo has done something in the last 5 years to warrant a spot on an MLB roster, I just cannot think of it at the moment.

101. earl

Nice pick by Jay B. keeping that one out of the alley.

102. GRF

Gamecast has that ball 1 showing as right across the middle of the plate…

103. hoosierdad

@GRF: Truly don’t understand what Cairo is doing in Cincy instead of somebody, ANYBODY from the Bats.

104. Truman48

Is it going to get exciting here?

105. GRF

Off topic, but does anyone have a suggestion for a radio station you can get in the Cleveland area carrying the Reds games? I used to go with 700, but I am having trouble getting it this season and the stations that would seem closest from the reds radio network do not seem to come in.

106. GRF

@Chad Dotson:

Worth a shot given his spring but I have to think as soon as Burton is healthy he takes the spot, or Fisher if things implode too soon.

107. pinson343

My best hope for Ondrusek was to get one out, knew he’d be facing 3 batters, and for Rhodes to take it from there. It was a loud out, but it worked.

108. GRF

@Chad Dotson:

He was very well liked while he was in Cleveland, and the fact he had to leave for his family situation is cited by many as a reason their bullpen imploded at the end of 2005.

109. Chad Dotson

Thats the first walk of the night. It takes an act of Congress to get this team to take a pitch.

110. GRF

@Kurt Frost:

Thanks. On Sirrus unfortunatey and think I have to get the “best of” package to make it work, but probably worth checking into since I do not think they have any blackout rules.

Canton station should come in, but just does not for some reason. . .

111. GRF

Chad Dotson:

Why am I afraid that we need at least a couple more runs to win this one?

Because we already had to burn Rhodes, Masset has really been struggling, we are pitcing Cordero pretty much every game in which we have a lead?

Oh, sorry rhetorical question. 😀

112. pinson343

With the pitcher having trouble throwing strikes, Joey shouldn’t have been running in that situation.

113. GRF

Other teams may have caught onto this Votto stealing thing.

114. Kurt Frost

@GRF: Sirius only gets the MLB Network talk channel…no games. I went with XM with the best of sirius package. Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, nascar, it’s got it all.

115. GRF

Yes he is a stud and we just had the off day, but at his age Rhodes going multiple innings this early in the season makes me nervous. We really need a win, but it is not reassuring their is no one else we trust with a 4 run lead.

116. Chad Dotson

Surely you can get play by play on Sirius with the best of xm package, right?

I have xm already. Its the best.

117. GRF

Ok, to quote an earlier poster if you do not go with the defensive replacement up 4 in the 8th, you are not making sufficient use of the concept.

118. GRF

Is Cordero up? I hate to sy it but they may need him now.

119. Truman48

I am running out of horrible adjectives. Massett is awful.

120. Truman48

We have just chewed up the bullpen again and for what?!

121. Truman48

Seriously, is David Weathers available. He would be a definite improvement.

122. Dust Ball

Not a save situation now for Uh-Oh Cordero. I’ve seen enough of the Dreds this season until Wayne Walt JOKEty start making some drastic changes. What in the hell does it take for some of the guys (and coaches) on this team to be held accountable?

123. Jason

Why? Why do I this to myself? I can’t begin to convey how depressing this is after 9 years. I’m beginning to lose all hope on this organization, and when you lose hope you just get depressed. I put so much money, time, effort into this team over the last 10 years and all i ask for is one meaningful season of MLB in the city I love with the team that is as big a part of me as anything. I’m at a new low here with my fandom.

124. CarolinaReds

Can not blame Dusty for this garbage

125. Chad Dotson

I’m with you, Jason. Sometimes I just feel like shutting down this site and doing something useful with my time.

126. Truman48

I think I would be more likely to blame the players themselves rather than the coaches. Clearly we don’t have a good team on the field.

127. Dust Ball

CarolinaReds:

Can not blame Dusty for this garbage

If not Dusty, who? Something has to be done. This organization can’t keep sitting around doing nothing.

128. GRF

Truman48:

Seriously, is David Weathers available. He would be a definite improvement.

Yes he is available and I cannor believe I am saying this but they may want to call him. Fisher is the only guy I think they could bring up, and they need a RHP out of the pen.

129. Truman48

I guess my previous quote should suggest we should blame ownership and management for this mess.

130. pinson343

GRF:

It’s not at all reassuring, but Rhodes is the only one we can trust with a 4 run lead.

131. pinson343

Rhodes was only asked to retire 3 hitters.

132. Dust Ball

When does Jockety start taking some heat? He configured this joke of a team.

133. Truman48

The Reds have used twice as many pitchers as the Dodgers tonight.

134. GRF

pinson343:

Rhodes was only asked to retire 3 hitters.

I know, believe me I understand I jinxed us and was absolutely (if frustratingly) dead wrong.

Not that I jinxed us as badly as one of our fearless editors about a week ago, but still.

135. CeeKeR

What a lousy team. That’s all there is to it, they are lousy. Lousy hitting. Lousy pitching. Lousy managing. Lousy team blueprint. Lousy lousy lousy.

136. Chad Dotson

GRF:

D’oh!!!

137. De_Here

@Kurt Frost: how dare they bump the Reds game off fox sports Tennessee for hockey….HOW DARE THEY….I already don’t get all the games because Comcast doesn’t carry sportsouth but theres one less game now because of that game…sigh

138. Chad Dotson

Okay, if they blow this lead in the ninth, I’m shutting down Redleg Nation.

Just giving you fair warning.

139. GRF

Janish is pinch hitting, with a RHP and Dickerson available? Watching on computer, did I miss something?

140. Kurt Frost

@De_Here: We bet Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Ohio, so I’m flipping between the Reds and Preds in sparkling HD.

141. GRF

See, by posting my Janish comment I reversed jinxed us. THAT is how you do it.

142. pinson343

GRF:

143. De_Here

Stubbs strikes out….and boom goes the dynamite

144. GRF

Chad Dotson:

Okay, if they blow this lead in the ninth, I’m shutting down Redleg Nation.
    Just giving you fair warning.

And you just had to go and ruin it didn’t you?

145. pinson343

Goofer that up, but you know what I mean.

146. Dust Ball

Hey Dusty, if you haven’t figured it out yet … you can’t keep hitting Stubbs leadoff, he’s not ready for the Show. And that guy with JANISH on the back of his jersey … ya think it’s time he starts getting some action?

147. De_Here

Darnell McDonald just hit a homer to tie the game for the Red Sox on a side note….curious since he was so bad for the Reds

148. Chris Wilson

If we blow this with 1 out and you shut down the site, at least post my DOTF that is already typed out first! 😕

149. GRF

pinson343:

GRF:
    I assume Dusty felt that if he put Dickerson up, the Dodgers counter with a lefty. He preferred the matchup with Janish against a righty.Reply

Got it, and can see that argument (also honestly was worried I missed a substitution or illness on computer), and Dickerson now in as defensive replacement.

As long as I am dead wrong to the Reds benefit, I will keep posting stupid ideas hoping they do the opposite.

150. The Mad Hatter

Even when they win something feels wrong.

151. Barnes

I guess we’re stuck with Dusty and his Cubs Stink for another day or two.

152. GRF

Cordero (who I vaguely recall I argued should be traded last year) bailed us out again.

At this point, I say the Reds have to keep batting Stubbs first, the SS second, Hanigan needs to stay on the bench, Cairo deserves a roster spot for life.

153. pinson343

Nice job, Coco. I did not want to see the top of the Dodger order again. Coco tends to come back well after blowing one, the sign of a good closer.

But we no longer seem to have a reliable setup man. Rhodes has been great, but I’d like to continue to use him situationally, to get critical (multiple) outs in the 7th and 8th.

Hernandez has been good. We need another good righty in the pen.

154. GRF

pinson343:

Hernandez has been good. We need another good righty in the pen.

In all seriousness, do you call Weathers?

155. pinson343

Don’t know, GRF. And of course I meant Herrera, not Hernandez. As you can see, I’m still rattled. Chad’s right, this team can give you cardiac arrest.

156. TheNatural

@GRF: No, you bring up Carlos Fisher: 7 IP – 1 H – 1 BB – 6 SO – 0.00 ERA

157. GRF

pinson343:

Figures that, we seem to have the LHP covered. Then RHP? I know Burton is (or at least was) on the AAA DL. But we need to find something between Owings and Cordero.

158. GRF

TheNatural:

@GRF: No, you bring up Carlos Fisher: 7 IP – 1 H – 1 BB – 6 SO – 0.00 ERA

Worth giving a shot. Current mix is not working.

159. mike

GRF:

pinson343:

to do what? clean my apartment?
    Hernandez has been good. We need another good righty in the pen.

In all seriousness, do you call Weathers?

160. pinson343

@mike: That’s a confusing post. Just for clarification, I didn’t ask about calling Weathers, to rejoin the Reds or to clean my apt.