One good thing about watching the
2008 2000-08 Reds isÃ‚Â a very good familiarity with the aspects of bad baseball teams.Ã‚Â I was thinking about 2009, and started imagining how things could go wrong.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â For example:Ã‚Â
- If Brandon Phillips is hitting 3rd or 4th next year, this team isn’t going to the playoffs.Ã‚Â
- If Jeff Keppinger and Chris Dickerson both get > 350 ABs, this team isn’t going to the playoffs.Ã‚Â
- If Harang, Voltron, and Cueto don’t combine for at least 100 starts, this team isn’t going to the playoffs.
- If Corey Patterson is on the roster, this team isn’t going to the playoffs.
- If either Hanigan or Bako catch >35 games, this team isn’t going to the playoffs.
Any additions to the list?Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
(I’m sure, at some point this off-season, we’ll make a list of “ifs” that could lead to a playoff appearance.Ã‚Â I’m just not ready yet.Ã‚Â Plus, it’s not like any one thing can symbolize a good team.Ã‚Â Dunn hit a million HRs, and we lost.Ã‚Â Harang nearly won a Cy Young, and we lost.Ã‚Â Freel was fast, LaRue threw out runners, and Weathers was a cheap closer — and we lost, lost, lost.)