The Reds have announced that the beautifically-named Dick Pole will be the pitching coach next year.Ã‚Â
Ã‚Â His resume:Ã‚Â
- Cubs (1988-91) – Coached a young Greg Maddux, Jamie Moyer, Mike Harkey, and Mitch Williams, all of whom pitched well at the time.Ã‚Â Worked for Don Zimmer.
- Giants (1993-97) – First worked with Dusty Baker.Ã‚Â Good staffs with Burkett, Swift, Portugal, and Beck.Ã‚Â Coached future Red relievers (Mike Jackson, Brantley, and Burba).Ã‚Â Developed Shawn Estes, who was once okay.
- Angels (1999) – Must’ve been fired with Terry Collins.Ã‚Â Angels actually had a decent staff, Chuck Finley and a bunch of vets like Ken Hill andÃ‚Â Omar Oliveras.
- Indians (2000-01) – Charlie Manuel’s teams.Ã‚Â Coached Finley and Burba again, plus Colon in his prime, and a bunch of stiffs.Ã‚Â Sabathia broke in during 2001, and was very good.
- Expos (2002) – Robinson’s surprise team.Ã‚Â Vasquez, Ohka, Armas, and Yoshii pitched very well.Ã‚Â
- Cubs (2003-06) – Association with Dusty Baker, and his treatment of young pitchers, is a definite yellow flag.Ã‚Â Wonder how Pole feels about baserunners “clogging up” the bases?
It’s always hard to judge a position coach’s track record, but Pole is obviously respected enough to keep getting jobs.Ã‚Â One thing that does worry me,Ã‚Â justÃ‚Â a little — Pole’s teams rarely had a great bullpen.Ã‚Â I don’t know if that was his area, as a pitching coach, but it’s certainly somewhere the Reds can use some help.Ã‚Â