has this preview of Opening Day and the excitement surrounding it, with a focus on Opening Day starter Aaron Harang.

It also lists Tony Womack as the probably Opening Day starter at 2B…batting leadoff.

I’m trying to remain optimistic, but I’m afraid Jerry Narron is going to make it difficult.

In another article, they also have an Opening Day preview which looks at the potential lineup, with a few words about each player. Leading off, playing 2B…number 15 in your programs, but number one in your hearts…Tony Womack!

1. Tony Womack, 2B:
The Reds lineup will be flexible and Womack will likely share this spot with Ryan Freel. Womack’s on-base track record isn’t spectacular, but he has good speed and will be needed to find ways to set the table.

I’m sure, at age 36, Womack will have no problem learning how to get on base for the first time in his life. This man is going to cost the Reds runs and possibly wins, and Jerry Narron needs to be held responsible.

The next four in the lineup are pretty exciting: Felipe Lopez, Junior Griffey, Adam Dunn, Edwin Encarnacion. Solid players, there.

Next up is Scott Hatteberg, hitting sixth and playing first base. Austin Kearns in RF and whomever’s catching round out the lineup. Not sure why Kearns would hit so low, but I suppose he’ll have to prove himself. Of course, if he doesn’t hit well at the beginning of the season, he’ll probably be replaced in the starting lineup by Quinton McCracken or DeWayne Wise.

Okay, enough sarcasm. We here at Redleg Nation are very excited about this season. In fact, two of our contributors will be attending the game on Monday, and we’ll have full reports from the stadium, including photos.

Yes, there are always ridiculous moves to complain about every year, but that doesn’t lessen the anticipation and hope that Opening Day brings. The Reds are tied for first place right now.

Anything could happen. And probably will….

3 Responses

  1. Chad

    Chris, I don’t know what you are talking about. says it’s going to be mid 60s, with a 40 percent chance of scattered showers — which means a 60 percent chance of no rain. It’s not a perfect weather forecast, but it’s hardly something to get too worried about.

    If it said 80 or 90 percent chance of rain, then we’d need to worry.

    Or maybe I’m just trying to be optimistic. 🙂

  2. Glenn

    Chad, I have to agree with you about Womack. I’m mystified as to why he’s on the team. Let’s hope we’re both proven wrong. When it comes to Womack, I may have to eat my hat again, but I doubt it.