From the Enquirer:
Harang, a 27-year-old right-hander, agreed to a one-year, $2.35 million deal just before Tuesday’s noon deadline for the sides to file their arbitration numbers. He made $440,000 last year.
Harang improves again this year, he’ll be looking at a very healthy increase next year and the Reds would probably start talking to him about a long term deal.
After the Reds announced they had signed Aaron Harang on Tuesday, general manager Dan O’Brien was asked if the team had come close to signing its two remaining arbitration-eligible players.
“Close is a relative term,” he said.
In baseball dollars, it is indeed. The Reds and Adam Dunn are $1.85 million apart, and the team and Felipe Lopez are $850,000 apart.
The Reds filed an offer of $7.1 million in Dunn’s case; he countered at $8.95 million. The Reds offered $2.15 million in Lopez’s case; he countered at $3 million. Dunn made $4.6 million last year; Lopez $415,000.
Both numbers seem high and low to me (without applying them to any other players numbers to look at them in context), it would seem that splitting the difference would be reasonable.
The filing does not mean the sides are headed to a hearing. A deal can be signed until the hearings, which will be held Feb. 1-20.
The Reds have gone to arbitration only twice in the last four years. The only case to be heard in O’Brien’s tenure as GM was Chris Reitsma’s in 2004, which was won by the club.
But hearings often are so acrimonious, they can have a lasting ill effect. In Reitsma’s case, it was partly responsible for him being traded.
So it would be surprising if Dunn and Lopez aren’t signed before their hearings.
“I think that’s desirable, speaking for both parties,” O’Brien said.
I would certainly hope so. The last thing that I would believe new ownership would want is to have an ugly arbitration hearing with their two brightest young stars soon after taking over the ball club.